Author Topic: The Official Tennis Thread  (Read 40725 times)

RedHand88

• View Profile
Re: The Official Tennis Thread
« Reply #510 on: September 10, 2018, 12:19:04 PM »
I really feel for Osaka in this instance. Had the greatest moment of her life upstaged by a petulant brat who used sexism as the reason she lost, even though it was a woman v woman match. My head hurts.

omaghjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #511 on: September 10, 2018, 04:28:37 PM »
I dont agree with her actions or language, the demeanor of the crowd was way out of whack, I also don't agree with the whataboutery
It was awful for the Osaka girl also

but...

I was worried about her mental state after her previous implosion which she attributed to post partum depression.
You don't shake the like of that of in a few months.

The last thing she needs is vilification.
For the Serena partisans I would like to see less talk of equality and rules and more about the mental health of new mothers.... that the real issue here for me

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: September 10, 2018, 07:13:12 PM »
My daughter absolutely loves Williams, never misses her play and follows everything she does, but on this occasion she’s said Serena has lost the plot!

If it is related to an illness then she’s best to step away from the whole thing, she’s nothing to prove, outstanding athlete who has been at the top of her game for so many years, would be hard to find a player in the next few years to get to the standard she set..

Though my fav was always Stef
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

mrdeeds

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: September 10, 2018, 07:20:48 PM »
I dont agree with her actions or language, the demeanor of the crowd was way out of whack, I also don't agree with the whataboutery
It was awful for the Osaka girl also

but...

I was worried about her mental state after her previous implosion which she attributed to post partum depression.
You don't shake the like of that of in a few months.

The last thing she needs is vilification.
For the Serena partisans I would like to see less talk of equality and rules and more about the mental health of new mothers.... that the real issue here for me

What about all her outbursts and disgusting things she's said to officials before pregnancy?

From the Bunker

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 11, 2019, 11:28:48 AM »
Andy Murray to call it a day after Wimbledon. Tough to have to call it quits at the age of 31.

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 11, 2019, 12:07:19 PM »
Andy Murray to call it a day after Wimbledon. Tough to have to call it quits at the age of 31.

Hip problems it seems.

Good player but didn't seem to fit the British Wimbledon winner persona that the LTA craved and that's a positive in my opinion.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 11, 2019, 12:11:53 PM »
I liked him. Pity to see this. Must be difficult at that age to admit you won't see your best ever again and mightn't do what you love pain free.

mouview

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 14, 2019, 12:18:02 PM »
Well, he's out of Aussie now anyway, though typically not without a fight. Beaten by the Spaniard Bustin A Gut.

TabClear

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 14, 2019, 12:22:57 PM »

Hip problems it seems.

Good player but didn't seem to fit the British Wimbledon winner persona that the LTA craved and that's a positive in my opinion.

I would argue great player. 11 (I think) Grand Slam finals in probably the golden era of men's tennis is a great record. Hugely unlucky to be fighting it out against three of the best ever at their peak otherwise he would have likely had a few more slam titles.

I always liked him although he got a hard time in the media at times.