Author Topic: The Official Tennis Thread  (Read 56660 times)

Angelo

• View Profile
Re: The Official Tennis Thread
« Reply #720 on: October 13, 2019, 01:36:06 PM »
Another Masters 1000 for Medvedev, he has now made the final of the last 6 tournaments he has played, including 3 Masters 1000s and the US Open.

I'd have him as favourite for the year end title and Australian Open, his hard court form has been outrageous and nobody really seems to have his measure.

He is going to stop Djokovic from reaching 20 I think.

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: October 13, 2019, 02:00:25 PM »
Nobody has his measure? He played Nadal twice in that span and lost twice, one of them a trouncing.
"Never mind your why. Why ain't in your repetoire no more n***a"

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #722 on: October 13, 2019, 02:18:56 PM »
Nobody has his measure? He played Nadal twice in that span and lost twice, one of them a trouncing.

He's getting better and better since, he's won 18 straight sets since the meeting with Nadal which he was very unlucky to lose. Nadal had to dig that out from the impossible.

Watching him play it's clear his opponents really don't know how to deal with him, he seems like a magnet to the ball.

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #723 on: February 01, 2020, 11:47:50 AM »
Fancy Thiem to take Djokovic tomorrow.

Thiem has had the measure of him recently winning 4 of their last 5 meetings, 4 of those meetings were on clay but Thiem won their last meeting which was on hard court at the ATP finals in November. He has the durability and the legs to stick in there with Djokovic but he also has the offensive weapons, if there's one thing that gets at Djokovic its when his opponent takes on the ball early, flattens out their strike and hits it at pace. It's why Wawrinka has caused him so many problems in the past.

Djokovic's record in Australia is phenomenal, this is his 8th final, he's won the previous 7 but I think if there's one player in the game today that really unnerves him then that is Dominic Thiem.

Thiem has had two 4 hr + battles in his last two games and Djokovic also has had an extra days rest but I don't think Thiem will be lacking in reserves.

The first set is absolutely crucial in this tie. If Djokovic gets ahead he can be very hard to peg back.

Should be a cracker.

nrico2006

• View Profile
« Reply #724 on: February 01, 2020, 05:38:27 PM »
Djokovic to win, didn't think he could get any better but he his serve gas gotten stronger lately, maybe Ivanisevic is earning his crust.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #725 on: February 02, 2020, 10:30:32 AM »
One set each.

It's not really kicked off yet, both players playing in fits and starts.

Strangely muted atmosphere, doesn't seem to have the same buzz without Federer or Nadal being involved.

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #726 on: February 02, 2020, 11:15:55 AM »
Thiem takes the third set 6-2.

Djokovic had an implosion at the start of the third set on his serve and Thiem punished him.

Djokovic looks well out of sorts and Thiem isn't playing anywhere near the heights he did against Nadal or Zverev.

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #727 on: February 02, 2020, 11:57:30 AM »
Deciding set coming up.

Poor final though, scrappy, error ridden, flat.

Saffrongael

• View Profile
« Reply #728 on: February 02, 2020, 12:05:32 PM »
Deciding set coming up.

Poor final though, scrappy, error ridden, flat.

Djokovics gluten free diet should really come into play here in these long matches

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #729 on: February 02, 2020, 12:41:47 PM »
Djokovic will serve for the title here.

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #730 on: February 02, 2020, 12:47:06 PM »
AO no 8 for Djokovic.

Poor enough final all told, Thiem will be disappointed he didn't take advantage of Djokovic in that form.

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: February 02, 2020, 01:55:14 PM »
AO no 8 for Djokovic.

Poor enough final all told, Thiem will be disappointed he didn't take advantage of Djokovic in that form.

Your knowledge of tennis is like your knowledge of Tyrones efforts in Ulster club championship.

Novak is unreal, to beat a fitter younger player who beat Nadal on the way says something about the man
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #732 on: February 02, 2020, 02:20:10 PM »
AO no 8 for Djokovic.

Your knowledge of tennis is like your knowledge of Tyrones efforts in Ulster club championship.

Novak is unreal, to beat a fitter younger player who beat Nadal on the way says something about the man

I thought I called it pretty well. Thiem was a level or two below how he played in the QF and SF. He had 6 hours more on court and a day's less rest than Djokovic before the final.

He's certainly the player on tour at the minute who unsettles Djokovic the most.

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: February 02, 2020, 02:57:44 PM »
AO no 8 for Djokovic.

I thought I called it pretty well. Thiem was a level or two below how he played in the QF and SF. He had 6 hours more on court and a day's less rest than Djokovic before the final.

He's certainly the player on tour at the minute who unsettles Djokovic the most.

This lad will win but the trio won’t be hanging up the rackets just yet. Novak is the younger of the three and could possibly catch them. I think he had the best record against the other two
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #734 on: February 02, 2020, 03:29:17 PM »
AO no 8 for Djokovic.

This lad will win but the trio won’t be hanging up the rackets just yet. Novak is the younger of the three and could possibly catch them. I think he had the best record against the other two

Djokovic has a winning record head to head against Nadal and Federer but Nadal has a winning record head to head against Djokovic and Federer at slams.

The problem for Djokovic is that the next gen coming through all excel on hard courts bar Thiem who is more at home on clay. Djokovic had a really handy draw, Tsitsipas flopped early doors and the only real tough tie he had on paper was a weary Federer.

I don't think Nadal can beat Djokovic on hard courts anymore, he's had to adjust his game in the past few years and he doesn't have the legs to live with Djokovic like he would have in his prime. Djokovic's biggest threat on hard courts will come from the likes of Thiem, Tsitsipas and Medvedev - maybe Shapovalov if he can kick on too.

How the draw pans out will decide the future slams, do Djokovic, Nadal and Federer have the reserves to come through 5 setters from the QF stage anymore unlikely. If the likes of Zverev, Medevedev, Thiem and Tsitsipas play up to their seeds then that means the big 3 will have to do it the hard way to win slams.