Author Topic: The Official Tennis Thread  (Read 58734 times)

Angelo

• View Profile
Re: The Official Tennis Thread
« Reply #645 on: July 10, 2019, 11:34:14 PM »
He is the one who has most accusations levelled at him.

It's bizarre, there doesn't really seem to be any foundation to it at all. Of the big three, Nadal is probably the one you would have the least suspicions about given his injury troubles, having to readapt his game due to physical problems and the amount of time he has had to miss.

Is it because he has big muscles? I hate to break it to some people but Lance Armstrong's muscles didn't get bigger when he got dirty - they went the other way.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #646 on: July 10, 2019, 11:42:29 PM »
I think he might have been one of the names leaked in that Russian hack for all the athletes with tues.

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: July 10, 2019, 11:45:12 PM »
Any other tennis players named on that? In fairness to Nadal he’s won damaged against people who claimed he was using.
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #648 on: July 10, 2019, 11:50:39 PM »
I think he might have been one of the names leaked in that Russian hack for all the athletes with tues.

But there was nothing suspicious in that at all. Just that he was given TUE for anti inflammatories after two tournaments, Nadal's knee issues and tendonitis are extremely well known at this stage, we all know the issues hard courts in particular throw up for his knees. Everything above board and approved by anti-doping authorities.

It's certainly bizarre that there always seems to be murmurs about Nadal when there seems to be a much stronger basis for other players.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 11:54:40 PM by Angelo »

Tony Baloney

• View Profile
« Reply #649 on: July 10, 2019, 11:56:35 PM »
The Fancy Bears named No Farah as a doper so it can't be true

nrico2006

• View Profile
« Reply #650 on: July 11, 2019, 10:37:09 AM »
Who are the other players that you reckon there is a much stronger basis for?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

oakleaflad

• View Profile
« Reply #651 on: July 11, 2019, 10:55:19 AM »
Was there not some craic about blood bags being destroyed or something in Spain a while back that Nadal and a heap of Spanish footballers were linked to?

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: July 11, 2019, 11:23:32 AM »
Who are the other players that you reckon there is a much stronger basis for?

Djokovic for one. Until 2011 he had repeatedly shown a tendency to break down in tournaments and throw the head up and quit or retire injured. Then he became unstoppable the year he turned 24. Because he cut out gluten.
"Never mind your why. Why ain't in your repetoire no more n***a"

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #653 on: July 11, 2019, 12:08:30 PM »
Was there not some craic about blood bags being destroyed or something in Spain a while back that Nadal and a heap of Spanish footballers were linked to?

There were no links to Nadal other than the doctor was the same nationality as Nadal.

All the murmurs are simply innuendo based, there's not anything that would link him to it more than the other top players.

There would be more basis to speculate against Federer and Djokovic in this regard but again like Nadal there is no basis to support it.

oakleaflad

• View Profile
« Reply #654 on: July 11, 2019, 12:15:13 PM »
To be fair, I remember seeing a segment on Nadal on Trans World Sport when he was a teenager and he was clearly an outrageous talent.

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #655 on: July 11, 2019, 12:28:44 PM »
They're all juiced and anyone who thinks they aren't is being played for a fool. In fact there's no sport untouched. When the money involved is so large it pays (handsomely) to take the small risk of being caught.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #656 on: July 11, 2019, 12:39:43 PM »
There’s some french guy who has a real beef with Nadal over a six to seven month injury absence in 2012 and is adamant it was to prevent himself getting done. I think it has either ended in court or threats of it.

Tony Baloney

• View Profile
« Reply #657 on: July 11, 2019, 12:45:44 PM »
To be fair, I remember seeing a segment on Nadal on Trans World Sport when he was a teenager and he was clearly an outrageous talent.
The juice factor for these lads is obviously about stamina recovery from matches and injury, rather than skill level. The tennis tour is absolutely punishing at the top level so I'd say they take whatever "marginal gain" they can.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #658 on: July 11, 2019, 01:21:17 PM »
Probably like sprinters really. The drugs won’t make them quicker but they will improve muscle repair etc enabling them to train or compete harder. I suspect the epo like drugs more beneficial to endurance rather than the short burst sports(though would have some value I guess).

All speculation mind. They may or may not be on anything. Like farah, I suspect, we will never really know.

Any which way those top 3 are absolute machines.

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #659 on: July 11, 2019, 01:45:21 PM »
Probably like sprinters really. The drugs won’t make them quicker but they will improve muscle repair etc enabling them to train or compete harder. I suspect the epo like drugs more beneficial to endurance rather than the short burst sports(though would have some value I guess).

All speculation mind. They may or may not be on anything. Like farah, I suspect, we will never really know.

Any which way those top 3 are absolute machines.

And Nadal is the one whose body has broken down and has had to miss many tournaments year on year with physical issues. If doping was the issue at hand I'd be more concerned in looking at the guys who are to play consistently injury free over years.