The Good American in Haiti

Started by magickingdom, January 25, 2010, 07:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Tyrones own on January 28, 2010, 07:32:56 PM
There ye go again with Claiming victory thing ...sure why would I want to put an end to you voluntarily
making a fool out of yourself here for all to see!
:-[

Of course you don't.  ::)

More and more posts with just insults.
MWWSI 2017

Tyrones own

Quote from: muppet on January 28, 2010, 07:39:44 PM
Quote from: Tyrones own on January 28, 2010, 07:32:56 PM
There ye go again with Claiming victory thing ...sure why would I want to put an end to you voluntarily
making a fool out of yourself here for all to see!
:-[

Of course you don't.  ::)

More and more posts with just insults.
I suppose one could view some of my posts that way but honestly I prefer to go with dixey's
concept of "Merely stating facts"
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Massey-135

tyrones own you are coming across like an absolute p***k on this thread

Declan

An alternative view on Haiti. The more I read of this the more I thought it couldn't be real but I was wrong
http://www.flipcollective.com/2010/01/26/if-you-rebuild-it-they-will-come-by-paul-shirley/

give her dixie

Interesting article in the "Wall Street Journal" where US doctors critise the response of the US in Haiti.
I await your response tyrones/us/own

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703808904575025091656446622.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Denn Forever

More good news.

Girl pulled alive from rubble 15 days after Haiti quake
By Virginie Montet (AFP) – 4 hours ago

PORT-AU-PRINCE — Former US president Bill Clinton made an emotional appeal Thursday for the world not to forget Haiti, as doctors treated a 16-year-old girl miraculously pulled from the rubble of its killer earthquake.

The UN joined the chorus of concern for the stricken Caribbean nation, urging the international community not to slacken its engagement after the disaster which killed around 170,000 people and left more than a million homeless.

Sixteen days after the 7.0-magnitude quake, foreign aid is only trickling through to survivors living in dire conditions at makeshift camps dotted around public parks and streets in devastated Port-au-Prince.

Miracle Haiti girl had nothing to eat or drink, say doctors

Doctors on a French hospital ship were caring for young Darlene Etienne one day after rescuers dug her out from a collapsed building in the capital, severely dehydrated and so weak she could barely talk, but alive.

"Surviving for more than two weeks, it's difficult but apparently it's possible," said French doctor Sebastien Caussade, hopeful that others may still be saved from beneath the debris.

Miracle survival stories from Haiti earthquake

Her ordeal appeared to be the longest of any of the 135 survivors who have been pulled from wrecked homes, schools and businesses across the city and nearby towns hit by the January 12 catastrophe.

In Davos, Switzerland, Clinton took center stage at the annual forum for the world's political and business elite, urging them to help the poorest nation in the Americas "rise from the ashes".

"They need to be helped through this hideous natural disaster," said Clinton, a UN special envoy on Haiti.

He said the country had been "punished by either being ignored or abused."

The vast foreign relief operation has been spearheaded by the United States, which has poured 20,000 troops into Haiti to speed up the distribution of aid. UN peacekeepers are also playing a large role.

But survivors have complained of receiving little of the huge influx of food, water and shelter, with huge lines of increasingly desperate Haitians building up at impromptu distribution points.

Scavengers continue to pillage materials to build shelter, clambering over the foul-smelling ruins where countless bodies are buried despite police efforts to chase them off.

War of nerves as Haiti digs out from the rubble

US President Barack Obama highlighted the plight of Haiti's quake victims when he invited the country's ambassador to the United States to his debut State of the Union address late Wednesday.

During Obama's speech an unidentified man seated in an area typically reserved for diplomats called out "Mister president, don't forget Haiti!" before being silenced by his neighbors and security, according to a witness close to him.

The UN Human Rights Council also weighed in, adopting a resolution after a day of concerned debate in Geneva about the plight of children and the elderly, saying that the world must not slacken its engagement in Haiti.

It pressed the international community "to continue to ensure adequate and coordinated support to the government and the people of Haiti in their efforts to overcome the challenges arising from the earthquake."

World Food Program executive director Josette Sheeran said in Davos that Haiti is "the most complicated catastrophe we have ever been confronted."

Energy biscuits and 200,000 family-sized tents top the wanted list, while Ann Veneman, executive director of the UN Children's Fund UNICEF, said another priority was to open centers for orphans to protect them from traffickers.

Haitian President Rene Preval suggested that the country's legislative elections, due next month, would have to be postponed.

"In the conditions we are in right now it is technically impossible to hold elections. The people who provide the technical assistance for elections are dead," Preval told AFP.

Copyright © 2010 AFP. All rights reserved

In world news...A Haitian girl was miraculously rescued from under the debris of a crumbled building yesterday... 15 days after the devastating quake on Jan. 12.French rescuers dug out 17-year-old Darlene Etienne after neighbors reported they had heard a voice coming from the rubbleThe girl, who was covered with a blanket and supplied with an oxygen mask, was rushed to a French field hospital.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Puckoon

Quote from: Declan on January 28, 2010, 08:27:57 PM
An alternative view on Haiti. The more I read of this the more I thought it couldn't be real but I was wrong
http://www.flipcollective.com/2010/01/26/if-you-rebuild-it-they-will-come-by-paul-shirley/

Paul Shirley has caused quite a stir over here with this blog post - and upon reading it I wasnt surprised. What an atrocious piece of work.

Condoms - that will fix the problem all right.

Rav67

Quote from: Puckoon on January 28, 2010, 09:24:48 PM

Paul Shirley has caused quite a stir over here with this blog post - and upon reading it I wasnt surprised. What an atrocious piece of work.

Clearly a very ignorant and arrogant man.  He has no comprehension of the history of the area, the causes of poverty or unfair trade.  Well done Paul Shirley on being born in a rich country and not having to worry your small mind about disasters like this you fuckwit.

Zapatista

And it all began with me talking about France ???

From Page 1

Quote from: stew on January 25, 2010, 10:43:16 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on January 25, 2010, 09:43:11 PM
Quote from: Minder on January 25, 2010, 09:34:16 PM
I am not disagreeing, I just think France were more culpable.

It's form for France too. There are a few Countries (including this one) picking up the pieces after them in Africa too.

Aye, America is an awful country altogether, I am sure that the big men on here that bash it at every opportunity would never visit it or if they did I am sure they would sit in a bar and hold court, letting the big, bad yanks know exactly what they think of their country/government.

The hypocrisy on this board is unbelievable at times.

J70

Never heard of the guy before. No doubt he will a hero to some. The piece appears to have cost him whatever gig he had with ESPN though.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Rav67 on January 28, 2010, 11:50:11 PM

Clearly a very ignorant and arrogant man.  He has no comprehension of the history of the area, the causes of poverty or unfair trade.  Well done Paul Shirley on being born in a rich country and not having to worry your small mind about disasters like this you fuckwit.
Don't hold back Rav, say what you mean!!
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Tyrones own

Quote from: Massey-135 on January 28, 2010, 07:52:23 PM

So if I have this right Massey...I should apologize for my approach in my attempt to call out and challenge hate speech because I may be insulting to some  ??? eh..OK ::)
Silly me for thinking that defending hate would be the popular thought process around this board but alas.......Now I'm quite well aware that it's seen to be the hip and cool thing amongst the younger generation to dispise the US both here and abroad thanks to the ignorance factories otherwise know as schools and Universities but the hypocrisy from the PC brigade here is mind boggling :o
  - Walter Lippmann

Tyrones own

Quote from: give her dixie on January 28, 2010, 09:10:54 PM
Interesting article in the "Wall Street Journal" where US doctors critise the response of the US in Haiti.
I await your response tyrones/us/own

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703808904575025091656446622.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
Dixie..you can search for and quote anti establisment, self loathing newspaper articles til your blue in the face, it simply isn't going to shine any other light on you other than the fact that you are a hater of what this Country has, is and will ever stand for...plain and simple!
  - Walter Lippmann

Massey-135

Quote from: Tyrones own on January 29, 2010, 06:02:03 PM
Quote from: Massey-135 on January 28, 2010, 07:52:23 PM

So if I have this right Massey...I should apologize for my approach in my attempt to call out and challenge hate speech because I may be insulting to some  ??? eh..OK ::)
Silly me for thinking that defending hate would be the popular thought process around this board but alas.......Now I'm quite well aware that it's seen to be the hip and cool thing amongst the younger generation to dispise the US both here and abroad thanks to the ignorance factories otherwise know as schools and Universities but the hypocrisy from the PC brigade here is mind boggling :o

Challenging hate speech? Wind your neck in. People are glad america helps out and saves lives, but their past form shows that often their involvement comes at a price further down the line. If they could just help out and leave it at that, it'd be fantastic. That is pretty much the argument of the people on here that you seem to be trying to paint as extreme left wingers who hate the USA. Your arrogance and condescending manner doesn't help in the slightest and you're coming across like a real asshole.

And you're kidding yourself if you think schools here help to foster any kind of ardent anti-americanism, certainly not.

Massey-135

plus you are far too excessive in your use of emoticons for my liking. i f**king hate emoticons.