The Good American in Haiti

Started by magickingdom, January 25, 2010, 07:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: magickingdom on January 29, 2010, 09:46:59 PM
Quote from: muppet on January 29, 2010, 09:19:38 PM
Quote from: magickingdom on January 27, 2010, 07:42:43 PM
first of all as someone born in the Bronx and whose dad served in the US army for years i have very little time for US policy on Israel, the Israelis should be told to flock off and live or die with the Palestinians. thats their problem and one just about every American i know has little or no interest in.

that however will be the only time i criticise America, everthing else the US does around the world is done for the greater good, sometimes it works sometimes not but the motivation is always for the greater good. if one country has to be a world policeman then thank God its the US, when the Brits were a world power they plundered the place, if the Chinese got half a chance they'd do the same. . guys like Dixie see nothing wrong in china, Cuba, Venezuela and other left wing piss pots and nothing right in the US

Quotei wouldn't attempt to defend some aspects of American foreign policy down the years, half of America wouldn't

Do you still think that Bush/Chaney went into Iraq for the greater good given that they based it all on a lie?

i was against the war in Iraq because i wouldnt have wasted one american life on the place, however once it started i certainly knew where i stood and i wasn't going to shed any tears over a despot like saddam hussein.

So 'once it started' makes all those deaths ok?
MWWSI 2017

Massey-135

Quote from: magickingdom on January 29, 2010, 09:11:19 PM

i wouldnt attempt to defend some aspects of american foreign policy down the years, half of america wouldnt. my main point was that any good america does is lost on a lot of posters and that overall american foreign policy is based on an attempt to spread democracy and human rights around the world. who went in and put manners on the serbs a few short years ago while they were slaughtering muslims in europes back yard? this was in the 1990s ffs and europe sat on its collective hole and did nothing. i mentioned iran because it was in the paper today. dixie has already mentioned 4 or 5 other countries.

The good they do is not lost on me, but neither is the bad. Americans are extremely capable of patting themselves on the back for the good work, so the bad should recieve the same amount of exposure. And it definitely doesn't, despite what you might think. It's just people are being quite naive if they think all the US want to do in these places is help, there's always more to it. Why don't they concentrate of their own people? I can't understand a country that is against free universal healthcare for it's people and would rather spend it's money on a war in Iraq and Afghanistan. Yes those countries were in an awful state beforehand, but they aren't any better now. It just doesn't make any sense to me that the people in government there with that much power and that much wealth couldn't find a better way to do things wherever they go. That was a ridiculous statement re: the 4000 dead soldiers by the way.

Only time will tell if this current episode in Haiti will go the same way as others. I hope not, and I actually don't think it will, I have some faith in Obama

ardal

What would have happened if Saddam had maintained his foothold in Kuwait, or even spread it further throughout the oil producing countries? I was against the invasion but with hindsight I was an egit. Shiver to think what our standard of living / cost of living would have been with him controlling oil output to the west

muppet

Quote from: ardal on January 29, 2010, 10:00:51 PM
What would have happened if Saddam had maintained his foothold in Kuwait, or even spread it further throughout the oil producing countries? I was against the invasion but with hindsight I was an egit. Shiver to think what our standard of living / cost of living would have been with him controlling oil output to the west

Wrong war Ted.  ::)
MWWSI 2017

ardal

Quote from: muppet on January 29, 2010, 10:02:43 PM
Quote from: ardal on January 29, 2010, 10:00:51 PM

Wrong war Ted.  ::)

Don't think I mentioned which one Muppet.

magickingdom

Quote from: Massey-135 on January 29, 2010, 09:58:25 PM
Quote from: magickingdom on January 29, 2010, 09:11:19 PM

i wouldnt attempt to defend some aspects of american foreign policy down the years, half of america wouldnt. my main point was that any good america does is lost on a lot of posters and that overall american foreign policy is based on an attempt to spread democracy and human rights around the world. who went in and put manners on the serbs a few short years ago while they were slaughtering muslims in europes back yard? this was in the 1990s ffs and europe sat on its collective hole and did nothing. i mentioned iran because it was in the paper today. dixie has already mentioned 4 or 5 other countries.

The good they do is not lost on me, but neither is the bad. Americans are extremely capable of patting themselves on the back for the good work, so the bad should recieve the same amount of exposure. And it definitely doesn't, despite what you might think. It's just people are being quite naive if they think all the US want to do in these places is help, there's always more to it. Why don't they concentrate of their own people? I can't understand a country that is against free universal healthcare for it's people and would rather spend it's money on a war in Iraq and Afghanistan. Yes those countries were in an awful state beforehand, but they aren't any better now. It just doesn't make any sense to me that the people in government there with that much power and that much wealth couldn't find a better way to do things wherever they go. That was a ridiculous statement re: the 4000 dead soldiers by the way.

Only time will tell if this current episode in Haiti will go the same way as others. I hope not, and I actually don't think it will, I have some faith in Obama

free universal healthcare? now who could be against that massey? its like a trust fund for all kids, i'm in favour of that too. most of the planets drugs were invented stateside and r&d is an expensive game and there would be a lot less of it if the HSE existed in america. btw if your ever in america and dont have health care dont worry, the scare stories are lies. go to any public hospital and they'll fix you up. i hope some form of universal healtcare is agreed but its not a simple issue

magickingdom

Quote from: muppet on January 29, 2010, 09:53:45 PM
Quote from: magickingdom on January 29, 2010, 09:46:59 PM
Quote from: muppet on January 29, 2010, 09:19:38 PM
Quote from: magickingdom on January 27, 2010, 07:42:43 PM
first of all as someone born in the Bronx and whose dad served in the US army for years i have very little time for US policy on Israel, the Israelis should be told to flock off and live or die with the Palestinians. thats their problem and one just about every American i know has little or no interest in.

that however will be the only time i criticise America, everthing else the US does around the world is done for the greater good, sometimes it works sometimes not but the motivation is always for the greater good. if one country has to be a world policeman then thank God its the US, when the Brits were a world power they plundered the place, if the Chinese got half a chance they'd do the same. . guys like Dixie see nothing wrong in china, Cuba, Venezuela and other left wing piss pots and nothing right in the US

Quotei wouldn't attempt to defend some aspects of American foreign policy down the years, half of America wouldn't

Do you still think that Bush/Chaney went into Iraq for the greater good given that they based it all on a lie?

i was against the war in Iraq because i wouldnt have wasted one american life on the place, however once it started i certainly knew where i stood and i wasn't going to shed any tears over a despot like saddam hussein.

So 'once it started' makes all those deaths ok?

i think you get my point

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: magickingdom on January 29, 2010, 08:56:25 PM
Quote from: Declan on January 28, 2010, 06:52:44 PM
TO - would you agree that GWB was elected democratically against Gore?

declan, the US is not one state but a federation of 50 states each of which hold their own election for president. so its possible to not win the popular vote and still win the election by winning enough states by just a few votes. every state in the union has its own government. in the uk its possible to get 40% + of the vote and end up with 25% of the seats in parliament with first past the post

That isn't what he meant.

magickingdom

Quote from: Arthur_Friend on January 29, 2010, 10:36:31 PM
Quote from: magickingdom on January 29, 2010, 08:56:25 PM
Quote from: Declan on January 28, 2010, 06:52:44 PM
TO - would you agree that GWB was elected democratically against Gore?

declan, the US is not one state but a federation of 50 states each of which hold their own election for president. so its possible to not win the popular vote and still win the election by winning enough states by just a few votes. every state in the union has its own government. in the uk its possible to get 40% + of the vote and end up with 25% of the seats in parliament with first past the post

That isn't what he meant.

what did he mean?

Arthur_Friend

He is referring to the Florida fiasco not the popular vote.

magickingdom

that was a fiasco alright, hadnt read the whole thread so i didnt see that. certainly no winners there

stew

Quote from: magickingdom on January 29, 2010, 10:50:01 PM
that was a fiasco alright, hadnt read the whole thread so i didnt see that. certainly no winners there

Eh yeah there was. W won as his brother had promised.

That vote in Florida was an absolute embarassment to the US, it was ridiculous and a lot of people on here enjoyed it.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Hardy

Hate speech?

A new one on me.

Is that from the same script writing team as "if you're not with me, you're against me?"

Tyrones own

Quote from: Hardy on January 30, 2010, 12:16:11 AM
Hate speech?

A new one on me.

Is that from the same script writing team as "if you're not with me, you're against me?"

No Hardy it's not *shakes head*( this is still the Haiti thread right?) it's as defined right here below;

"Hate speech is a communication that can be defined as that which is used as a means to insult, incite anger or that which may be deemed offensive"
And clearly there are more than my good self that are offended or indeed angered by your in sensitivities on this very serious matter :(
Strangely enough from most of whom don't actually reside here.... shocker I know :o

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Tyrones own

QuoteIt's a waste of time posting on here as this fool TO is incapable of engaging in debate, i'm not sure he understands what debate means.
:D Wha.....Debate, Don't step on your tail on the way out then! FFS sure none of you'll stand in the one place for more than two minutes, ye are like headless chickens desperately running here there and everywhere for a foothold to back up this nonsense, from quoting newspaper articles to first hand experience ;) oh and manipulating the thread around to attack Bush *yawn*, to the war in Iraq, to the Florida count, to universal health care, to Anti-Semitism, to the Death penalty, to being called an asshole,  a p***k, that I am unworthy of my avatar and name ,to my harmless little old use of emoticons :'( fcuk it everything but the kitchen sink...well that and an explanation of how Iran's democracy is working out for some reason 8)
Quote"I may not support them, but they were elected by their own people, and in my books, that is democracy and I support the will of the people."
Ah come on now Dixey ye can't just pretend now that you didn't actually buy this Democracy thing by avoiding the question.....That was spectacularly naive at best no harm to ye :-[
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann