GAA, rugby and alcohol sponsorship

Started by StoneWall, November 14, 2006, 03:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

criostlinn

If the government want to ban drink sponsership well so be it. Until then why should the gaa give up big sponsership deals to other sports. Im sure the "guys" in the irfu would love to see the gaa taking the high moral ground and releasing all that guinness money into rugby.

tayto

Quote from: criostlinn on November 14, 2006, 06:14:57 PM
If the government want to ban drink sponsership well so be it. Until then why should the gaa give up big sponsership deals to other sports. Im sure the "guys" in the irfu would love to see the gaa taking the high moral ground and releasing all that guinness money into rugby.

exactly, Guinness will happily pump money into rugby if the GAA wont play ball. It's up to the government to ban it if we deem, as a society, booze to be inappropriate sponsors of sport.

pintsofguinness

I think the gael is one of these "I don't drink and I don't want anyone else to" people  ::)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

AZOffaly

I agree with the lads who are raising eyebrows over the seeming double standards.

However, a lot of the kerfuffle about drinks sponsorship of GAA competitions and teams is internally generated. When Mick Loftus or someone takes a shot at the GAA about doing deals with Guinness, it is the shot that makes the news, not the deal itself. Then the Joe Duffys and Marian Finnucanes of the world take over, and every doctor from Gweedore to Gneeveguilla
is called in to tell us all that alchohol in excess is bad for us, that there is a youth drink problem in Ireland, and that bears perform their ablutions in the woods.

The part that annoys me is that while nobody in the IRFU obviously gives a continental, the media are being disingenous by not drawing the obvious parallels. If somebody said 'The GAA should not be associationg with drinks companies', I would take their outcry much more seriously if they added ' but neither should the IRFU have Guinness internationals, allow Magners league and Heinieken Cup branding either. They are as bad'.

The argument could be made that the GAA is autonomous and controls it's own sponsorship deals, whereas the IRFU are only part of the Celtic League and the IRB for the Heineken Cup. This has not deterred French Clubs from being involved, but the competition is rebranded as simply the European Cup, or the H-Cup over there.

The Irish Union could make a similar stance if they wanted to, but nobody bothers to ask them why they don't. Better for the D4 media to continually take shots at the GAA.

Fionntamhnach

Agree with the last few posts about alcoholic sponsorship - Guinness is a drink that (mostly) has an image of responsible drinking, its rarely touched on by teenagers on nights out, spides, chavs etc.

If we ended up with the White Lightning 3 Litre Barrack Buster Under 21 Football Championship then you have a question of morals. :o

slow corner back

Just announced last week that bushmills was withdrawing its sponsorship of Antrim GAA and sponsoring rugby instead. Not sure of the competition but they had Mick Galwey, WJ McBride and Jeremy Davidson in the photo shoot. Having said that at various times Antrims sponsorship by Bushmills has lead to problems such as the logo being taped over before a match because it clashed with the guiness sponsorship. Yet another headache for the Antrim county board.

Cuchullainns Bhoy

Maybe im being over critical but if alcohol sponsorship was to be banned with GAA circles, then most surely the Corporate Level within Croke Park would be subject to significant changes, if it is banned then why allow these dompanies to advertise their company on a billboard in Croke Park.

Its definitely up for discussion, but if we take the approach 'Alcohol is bad sponsorship for GAA as it helps encourage a drink culture' then should a ban on fast food restaurants also be in place as this promotes an 'obese society' etc.

Its hard enough for some small GAA clubs to financially survive wthout some alcoholic sponsorship being banned 
Theres shite, and theres the above.^^^^^

courtneyboy

what is the problem?
alcohol deals brings in money to the cofers take it all when we can.

dubnut

TheGael, still waiting.
If you could give one coherant straight to the point answer maybe people would take you more seriously.
Again..........

Gael, can you please just answer one question, just one.
Do you think acohol sponsorship of sporting events A) makes people drink or drink more full stop, or B) influences the brand of drink people use without affecting the volumes?
A simple A or B answer will do

thegael

The World Health Organization WHO would know a lot more about it than the rest of us -
to quote-

" All children and adolsecents have the right to grow up in an environment protected from the negative consequences of alcohol consumption and, to the extent possible, from the promotion of alcoholic beverages"

WHO also goes on to urge countries  and governments-

"ensure that no form of advertising is specifically addressed to young people , for instance through the linking of alcohol to sports........."

dubnut

Gael, thats 3 or 4 times I asked you a simple A or B question.
Can you give your own honest answer please?
Come on, prove you are a credible person, we want YOUR opinion not quotes from elsewhere.

lynchbhoy

Dubnut
I think the Gael has added in a C option to your questions and I think the answer is a cracker.

It sums up what we all know.
Kids are boozing too much and even though we are not encouraging it , by not telling them they shouldnt and not actively shielding them from the influence we are in fact encouraging it.
No action -  in this case - encourages it  - imo.

Kids want to act like adults asap, and they will try to booze, and although these images wont make us drink any more (or less) or change brands, it does affect the kids , their opinions and their desire for drink.

In fact, I will be giving a team of u17's a lecture tonight at training on not boozing if they want to become decent future footballers.
Practically all of them were drinking last sun night celebrating a league title. I was asked to join them (and several adults) but declined.

thegael

dubnut to answer  both yes to a and b

also it would suit you better to heed the opinion of the WHO on issues like this.

Billys Boots

Quotethe gaa could be a bit more imaginative on other income streams eg bank of ireland football etc.

Do you mean that we should encourage other thieves/robbers to sponsor gaelic games, and that they are a better influence?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

dubnut

Thanks Gael, appreciate your opinion!
I would disagree with A) although as Lynchboy pointed out we should discourage kids from drinking.
I do believe Guinness can sponsor the all Ireland AND encourage kids not to drink seperately without hypocracy as the ads are clearly not aimed at kids and most dont drink Guinness. But appreciate that my opinions are not those of everyone.
The work needs to be put in at club level mainly IMO as the kids will relate better to people they actually know and can directly encourage them to stay off the booze.