Hotels in Ireland

Started by flantheman82, January 21, 2010, 09:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Watcher

Booked the Midlands Park for a few days away in February.  Seems decent enough but never sure with these things.  Anyone been?

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: An Watcher on December 29, 2021, 07:38:55 PM
Booked the Midlands Park for a few days away in February.  Seems decent enough but never sure with these things.  Anyone been?
Is that the one in Portlaoise?

Helix.

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on December 15, 2021, 09:39:12 AM
anyone been to the Heritage Killenard in Laois, has a Seve designed golf course beside it.... ? would you recommend

Decent hotel, downgraded from a 5* to 4* when FBD group bought it out. Got a night away in it a few years back complimentary after buying engagement ring from jewellers. Haven't used the golf course yet but haven't heard a bad word from lads that have played it. Spa in it is good, good thermal suite. Food is good any time I was there before, maybe a little pricy but portions were generally good when I was there.. Close to motorway, Emo Court nice stroll about 5-10 mins drive, Kildare village down the road for shopping.
Seemed to be a good few families in it around Christmas time. Have own cinema in it and movies for kids if you're into that.

Hope that's of use.

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on December 29, 2021, 08:41:49 PM

Great carvery in it. Food is excellent. Rooms seem to be good too. Kelly's steakhouse across the road is a must as well if you're into your meats. 

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Helix. on December 29, 2021, 09:37:46 PM
Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on December 15, 2021, 09:39:12 AM
anyone been to the Heritage Killenard in Laois, has a Seve designed golf course beside it.... ? would you recommend

Decent hotel, downgraded from a 5* to 4* when FBD group bought it out. Got a night away in it a few years back complimentary after buying engagement ring from jewellers. Haven't used the golf course yet but haven't heard a bad word from lads that have played it. Spa in it is good, good thermal suite. Food is good any time I was there before, maybe a little pricy but portions were generally good when I was there.. Close to motorway, Emo Court nice stroll about 5-10 mins drive, Kildare village down the road for shopping.
Seemed to be a good few families in it around Christmas time. Have own cinema in it and movies for kids if you're into that.

Hope that's of use.

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on December 29, 2021, 08:41:49 PM

Great carvery in it. Food is excellent. Rooms seem to be good too. Kelly's steakhouse across the road is a must as well if you're into your meats.
We stayed in it twice this tear, a great  family friendly hotel , I would second the comment on Kellys Steakhouse and also recommend the Charter Bar restaurant in the hotel as well  ( it has a good swimming pool too)

Milltown Row2

Stayed in the Titanic hotel last night, lovely hotel and nicely designed with the old Drawing office and other notable rooms very much intact from the early 1900's . We thought it would have been quiet enough but it was nearly booked out.

Would recommend it, what I did notice and not at the hotel, we went for dinner and the bill was expensive though we had a voucher for the place, but they charged for food VAT and Alcohol VAT? Was this always a thing? As the prices on the menu were on the bill then an added tax on those?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 03, 2022, 11:23:01 AM
Stayed in the Titanic hotel last night, lovely hotel and nicely designed with the old Drawing office and other notable rooms very much intact from the early 1900's . We thought it would have been quiet enough but it was nearly booked out.

Would recommend it, what I did notice and not at the hotel, we went for dinner and the bill was expensive though we had a voucher for the place, but they charged for food VAT and Alcohol VAT? Was this always a thing? As the prices on the menu were on the bill then an added tax on those?

Are you saying that the prices on the menu did not include VAT? That would be plain illegal I would have thought. Or did the menu prices include VAT and they just broke out these elements on the bill?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on January 03, 2022, 11:33:46 AM

Are you saying that the prices on the menu did not include VAT? That would be plain illegal I would have thought. Or did the menu prices include VAT and they just broke out these elements on the bill?

The prices on the menu were the prices on the bill, at the bottom of the bill had an extra which included service charge (only two of us so shouldn't be on it) tax on food and tax (20%) on alcohol. I've the bill somewhere so I'll check again, only noticed later on
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 03, 2022, 11:41:43 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on January 03, 2022, 11:33:46 AM

The prices on the menu were the prices on the bill, at the bottom of the bill had an extra which included service charge (only two of us so shouldn't be on it) tax on food and tax (20%) on alcohol. I've the bill somewhere so I'll check again, only noticed later on

I'm sure there are people more knowledgeable than me on this matter, but I believe that you cannot quote prices to consumers and then add on VAT afterwards, you can only do this on clearly business to business transactions. So if providing a quotation for catering for a conference the hotel could say that it was £50+vat, but not on a menu given to someone who walks in off the street.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hound

Unless business to business, under EU law you must quote retail prices inciusive of VAT. Dunno if there's an out for UK businesses operating outside EU now, but I doubt it.

Some outlets will state on bills what the VAT amount is that's included in the figures.. So maybe that's what MR saw ie 'VAT amount included above is XX' but not extra VAT added on.

TabClear

Quote from: Hound on January 04, 2022, 09:08:33 AM
Unless business to business, under EU law you must quote retail prices inciusive of VAT. Dunno if there's an out for UK businesses operating outside EU now, but I doubt it.

Some outlets will state on bills what the VAT amount is that's included in the figures.. So maybe that's what MR saw ie 'VAT amount included above is XX' but not extra VAT added on.

That is the most likely scenario. Hotels/restaurants need to quote the VAT on receipt for things like employee expenses etc

Milltown Row2

I couldn't get the menu prices online, other that the drink prices, so couldn't see if the menu prices were less than the bill prices, just never seen or noticed that before, well unless when I've been in the states.

NotedObserver

The tax is probably a mark up or a tip?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NotedObserver on January 04, 2022, 11:54:58 AM
The tax is probably a mark up or a tip?

Service charge was on bill, as was the 12.5% food VAT and 20% drink VAT,

Like I said i can't see the food prices online, I'll check again as was looking through phone, just never seen it before

Rois

Post up a picture of the bill there - want to see how this ends. 

Just had a couple of days at the Slieve Donard in Newcastle and had a lovely stay.  The hotel was full but it didn't seem like it.  No extra VAT on the bill there. 

screenexile