Thug who beat thug freed

Started by longrunsthefox, January 20, 2010, 11:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

This should cheer a few of you up...

Jailed businessman Munir Hussain freed by court
A businessman who was jailed for permanently injuring an intruder who attacked him and his family has been freed by the Court of Appeal.
Munir Hussain 53, was sentenced to 30 months for grievous bodily harm with intent after he hit Walid Salem with a cricket bat in 2008.
Hussain and his family had been tied up by three intruders at their home in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire.
His jail sentence has been replaced with a two-year suspended term.
Lord Chief Justice Lord Judge, who was sitting with two other judges in London, said he had shown "mercy" to Hussain.
Community figures
His brother, 35-year-old Tokeer Hussain, who was also jailed for causing grievous bodily harm, had his 39-month jail term reduced to two years.
The brothers were not at court for the hearing.
Both men, described as being at the heart of the community, were imprisoned in December after being found guilty at Reading Crown Court.
The pair left Salem with a permanent brain injury after hitting him with a cricket bat on 3 September.
The force of the blow was so hard that it broke the bat into three pieces.

nrico2006

Its a disgrace that they were even charged in the first place.  The fella released now has a 2 year suspended sentence over him, which again is a disgrace.  Did the brother not get out then? 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

the colonel

fair play to your man. I wouldnt call him a thug. If someone came into my house i'd give the full wilt of the hurl. I wouldnt want him getting up. Some bravery for three men to come into a house and tie up a family, deserved everything he got.
the difference between success and failure is energy

An Gaeilgoir

We all know that its not the thugs fault for breaking in and tying up those people, we as a society are responsible for making areas disadvantaged and people marginalised..................... What they need is more social welfare money and plenty of hugs!!!!!!! ::)

Dinny Breen

If anyone tied up my wife and daughter in my house and I had a hurl handy, there is only one course of action I would take, there is no way you could think  with rationale >:(
#newbridgeornowhere

bingobus

Was this a case of him nailing the thug during the robbery or doing so a few days/weeks/months later after the incident.

Each to their own but your man got what was due to him (the robber/thug that is).

trileacman

To be honest fox your man, the robber, got what he deserved.
I'm not sure of the specifics of the case and so i'll try to tread carefully here and I'll retract that if what I think happened was wrong. As bingobus said there is some ambiguity here about the timing of the attack. Did he commit this during the robbery or was it several months later.

Also I'm doubtful of the extent of Salim's injury. To be honest thugs like him don't have much of a brain to begin with so I'm not sure how bad this brain injury is. I mean he could just have ended up with a speech impedement or a short term memory loss, which is what pricks llike this deserve.

Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Dakota

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 20, 2010, 11:57:19 AM
If anyone tied up my wife and daughter in my house and I had a hurl handy, there is only one course of action I would take, there is no way you could think  with rationale >:(

Would a Kildare man know how to swing a hurl?!

Only joking!
I agree with what you said

thebigfella

Hmmmm fair play to him  ??? Seem to suggest he hit the burgler with the bat while he was on the ground.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/beds/bucks/herts/8469850.stm

They were tied up but the businessman escaped and enlisted his brother to help chase the offenders down the street, bringing one of them to the ground.

The pair left Salem with a permanent brain injury after hitting him with a cricket bat.

The force of the blow was so hard that it broke the bat into three pieces.

Lord Judge said: "This trial had nothing to do with the right of the householder to defend themselves or their families or their homes.

"The burglary was over and the burglars had gone. No one was in any further danger from them."

The decision to free Hussain comes one day after judges rejected his appeal against his conviction.

Lord Judge said the case was one of "true exceptionality".

bingobus

He still deserved it. Robbery was just over and he was obviously highly charged after going through the ordeal. If the thugs where still about and you had chance to even up the odds, in that moment it would hard not to.

I'm sure the thug wouldn't have hesitated if the tables where turned.

Rav67

Quote from: trileacman on January 20, 2010, 12:06:22 PM

Also I'm doubtful of the extent of Salim's injury. To be honest thugs like him don't have much of a brain to begin with so I'm not sure how bad this brain injury is. I mean he could just have ended up with a speech impedement or a short term memory loss, which is what pricks llike this deserve.

The guy broke a cricket bat over his head- cricket bats are heavy enough so I'd say it must have been a hell of a whack.  It's guesswork as to the extent of the brain injuries but Salem's lucky he's still alive.

full back

Quote from: thebigfella on January 20, 2010, 12:29:38 PM
"The burglary was over and the burglars had gone. No one was in any further danger from them."

Perhaps not in danger, but would you take the chance of the justice system giving them a fitting punishment if they were caught or worse, taking a chance on them coming back to the house again for revenge/rob again if they got away.

Doubtful

ziggysego

Fair play to him? No way. Yes, he has a right to defend himself. Not to the point that he leaves the thug with permanent brain damage and possible physical disabilities.
Testing Accessibility

full back

Quote from: ziggysego on January 20, 2010, 01:49:37 PM
Fair play to him? No way. Yes, he has a right to defend himself. Not to the point that he leaves the thug with permanent brain damage and possible physical disabilities.

Do you think that was the intention?

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: ziggysego on January 20, 2010, 01:49:37 PM

No mention about the trauma that the captive family suffered, break into someones private residence then prepare to reap the whirlwind. The scum bag who terrorised this family wont be doing it again and thats a good thing.