The buckfast Code - Lurganites beware!!

Started by supersarsfields, January 18, 2010, 09:52:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersarsfields

The tonic wine Buckfast has been mentioned in 5,000 crime reports by Scotland's biggest police force in the last three years, a BBC investigation has revealed. Skip related content
Related photos / videos Enlarge photo Almost one in 10 of those crimes in the Strathclyde Police force area was violent, according to figures obtained by the broadcaster under Freedom of Information legislation.

During that period the Buckfast bottle was used as a weapon 114 times.

Police said the figures suggested there is an association between Buckfast and violence.

The findings are revealed in the programme BBC Scotland Investigates: The Buckfast Code tonight.

During the programme Superintendent Bob Hamilton of Strathclyde Police was asked whether the figures mean that Buckfast can be said to be associated with violence.

He replied: "I think it's clear from the figures that there is an association there."

He added: "The figures are fairly clear that Buckfast is mentioned in a number of crime reports and over the period requested, the Buckfast bottle was used 114 times as a weapon."

Buckfast is produced by Benedictine monks in a Devon monastery.

The investigation also looks at the ingredients of the drink and how they may affect the behaviour of consumers, potentially making them anxious and aggressive if drunk in large quantities.

Silky

Why would anyone choose to drink this stuff? Apparently a glass has 5 times as much caffeine as a cup of strong coffee.

Archie Mitchell

charlie stubbs is fond of a bottle or 2 of this. He doesn't get violent though, he just loses all memory of what happens.

haranguerer

This is absolutely groundless and more than a little ridiculous unless there are comparisons - i.e. how many times are vodka, or whiskey, or beer bottles mentioned in police reports? i'd imagine there are far more attacks where beer bottles are used, given that in and around pubs they're much more widely available to be used as weapons than buckfast bottles.

Archie Mitchell

I know a boy who doesn't get served vodka in Portadown as it sends him clean mad. Bit unfair to single out the Buckfast drinkers.

Hardy

They need to deal with this at source. Arrest the monks!

ziggysego

Quote from: Hardy on January 18, 2010, 11:24:36 AM
They need to deal with this at source. Arrest the monks!

The English, the root of all our troubles! ;)
Testing Accessibility

RMDrive

Quote from: Silky on January 18, 2010, 10:21:01 AM
Why would anyone choose to drink this stuff? Apparently a glass has 5 times as much caffeine as a cup of strong coffee.

You may have answered your own question.

Che

:) checked the sky tv guide there, channel 971 at 7.30, could be interesting

Dougal

i know a lad whos an expert on drinking buckfast.il get him over hear later.id normally stop after a bottle of it,but it doesnt make me violent.

Quote from: haranguerer on January 18, 2010, 10:47:14 AM
This is absolutely groundless and more than a little ridiculous unless there are comparisons - i.e. how many times are vodka, or whiskey, or beer bottles mentioned in police reports? i'd imagine there are far more attacks where beer bottles are used, given that in and around pubs they're much more widely available to be used as weapons than buckfast bottles.

i think thats the point,beer bottles are way more widely available,yet buckfast bottles are used in quite alot of cases.i suppose it depends on if 114 attacks is alot or not.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Fear ón Srath Bán

There are regional variants in this connoissseurs' tipple, apparently. Small difference in alcohol content, but big difference in the caffeine content...

"Green bottle" Buckfast tonic wine, usually found in the United Kingdom

* Red wine based aperitif (15%).
    * Sodium glycerophosphate, an emulsifier.
    * Dipotassium phosphate, a protein stabiliser
    * Disodium phosphate, a stabiliser and emulsifer.
    * Caffeine, 37.5mg/100ml (i.e. 0.0375 % w/v)
    * Vanillin

"Brown bottle" Buckfast variant, typically from Irish Republic

* Red wine based aperitif (14.8%)
    * Sodium and potassium glycerophosphates - both measured at 0.65% w/v.
    * Disodium phosphate, a stabiliser and emulsifer.
    * Caffeine, 55mg/100ml (i.e. 0.055% w/v)
    * Sulfite preservatives.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Tony Baloney

A fella at college used to swear that the number on the bottom of the bottle was an indicator of it's quality. He referred to it as the "vintage" - hardly a term often associated with Buckfast! Numbers between 1 and 9 were the best if I recall!

dublinfella

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 18, 2010, 01:31:05 PM
A fella at college used to swear that the number on the bottom of the bottle was an indicator of it's quality. He referred to it as the "vintage" - hardly a term often associated with Buckfast! Numbers between 1 and 9 were the best if I recall!

I heard that too. How it was described to me was that 1 was nicer to drink, but less of the lunatic will be released, 9 was horrible syrup but full of caffeine and gurantees police involvement, with a sliding scale in the middle. My Scottishh mate always hoped to get a 7 or 8.

Kevin Webster

What absolute nonsense. All this proves is that the Scots, like Newry people, can't handle their wine.

pintsofguinness

The investigation also looks at the ingredients of the drink and how they may affect the behaviour of consumers, potentially making them anxious and aggressive if drunk in large quantities.

Add in "mouthy" to that and we've the explanation for lurgan!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?