Author Topic: Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.  (Read 493787 times)

BennyCake

• View Profile
Re: Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.
« Reply #5355 on: January 08, 2019, 01:33:43 PM »
People could just not vote, but unless Toibin gets going in a lot of constituencies there is no other candidate that is not promoting abortion.

Its partly the abortion thing with me especially the 12 weeks and their position on the conscience vote. But they are trying to be all things to all people on so many issues.

SF jump on the populist bandwagon. Not everyone is on the same bandwagon with all issues, therefore they’re losing voters on each issue. That image of O’Neill and McDonald celebrating the abortion result was truly sickening.

I certainly won’t be voting them again.

markl121

• View Profile
« Reply #5356 on: January 08, 2019, 02:17:35 PM »
I used to be a SF voter but how they generally all jump onto band wagons with every single member on social media etc spouting the same stuff is sickening. Does every sinn fein member agree with abortion? I really wouldnt have though so but they are acting like robots. Their politicans seem to have lost the ability to think for themselves and it has been increasingly evident since MON became the northern leader. First it was the gay marraige thing and now its aboprtion. What popular subject with they get to next?

naka

• View Profile
« Reply #5357 on: January 08, 2019, 02:25:34 PM »
its fair to say they have lost their way( definitely in the North) albeit not to the same extent as the sdlp but the calibre of leadership isn't as strong as it once was.
say what you like but magennis was shrewd and very articulate, Kelly and conor murphy who were more prominent a few years ago and always came across as considered and measured as did Mitchell mc loughlin to name but a few.
the next couple of years will define sinn fein because brexit is coming down the tracks, we are no nearer a united Ireland, Stormont is a fk-up, the carve up of Belfast city counsil with the dup is also damning, the economy is only providing low paid service jobs  so they need to start taking a bit of responsibility an delivering .
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 04:40:37 PM by naka »

Kickham csc

• View Profile
« Reply #5358 on: January 08, 2019, 02:32:21 PM »
I used to be a SF voter but how they generally all jump onto band wagons with every single member on social media etc spouting the same stuff is sickening. Does every sinn fein member agree with abortion? I really wouldnt have though so but they are acting like robots. Their politicans seem to have lost the ability to think for themselves and it has been increasingly evident since MON became the northern leader. First it was the gay marraige thing and now its aboprtion. What popular subject with they get to next?

It is clear they have a strategy, and for the strategy to work they need everyone to pull in the one direction.

Sinn Fein are taking steps away from the armed struggle strategy (ballot box and armalite) to one of equality fighters. It only works if everybody is fighting for the same equalities.

So two female leaders not directly linked to the troubles, and fighting for popular causes. I assume the aim is to win over more support from SDLP, Workers Party, Fianna Fáil.

Itchy

• View Profile
« Reply #5359 on: January 08, 2019, 02:49:44 PM »
You boys are some craic.

The vast majority of people supported legalising abortion in the South. All major political parties supported it. Amnesty international supported it.

So I ask, if you are no longer voting SF because they disagreed with you on ONE issue, tell me then who you will be voting for. Some crack pot independent? Or maybe your more natural bed fellow is the DUP. Maybe you will stop voting full stop. Every party does something that they is at odds with some of their members every now and again.

I used to always tell Fearon its the DUP he should be voting for.

Sheugh Water

• View Profile
« Reply #5360 on: January 08, 2019, 03:51:38 PM »
You boys are some craic.

The vast majority of people supported legalising abortion in the South. All major political parties supported it. Amnesty international supported it.

So I ask, if you are no longer voting SF because they disagreed with you on ONE issue, tell me then who you will be voting for. Some crack pot independent? Or maybe your more natural bed fellow is the DUP. Maybe you will stop voting full stop. Every party does something that they is at odds with some of their members every now and again.

I used to always tell Fearon its the DUP he should be voting for.

Im no longer voting them on multiple issues. Abortion, SIF, Bonfire Funds, Poor leadership, Poor record on job creation,  widespread take over of community groups among many things. Im not sure who I will vote yet as I don't know who will stand in Derry. I do think McCallion will lose her seat here, and I celebrated that win with great joy at the time.

Once McGuinness went it became a changed party. Adams is an embarrassment.

Tubberman

• View Profile
« Reply #5361 on: January 08, 2019, 03:59:06 PM »

Arah that ould 'gay' thing is only a fad, it'll go out of fashion again.
God be with the good old days when the Church ruled the roost - there were no gays then! And no need for abortions either, women kept their legs closed!
Bring back those good old days!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Hardy

• View Profile
« Reply #5362 on: January 08, 2019, 04:09:10 PM »
You have to choose to see it as funny if you want to stay sane. Gay marriage is what turned them off SF!

Jim_Murphy_74

• View Profile
« Reply #5363 on: January 08, 2019, 04:17:39 PM »
Their politicans seem to have lost the ability to think for themselves and it has been increasingly evident since MON became the northern leader. First it was the gay marraige thing and now its aboprtion.

It's not unusual for a party to keep members in line with whip for issues.

As for thinking for themselves I thought the evidence at the RHI inquiry was very damning.  The evidence of Martin O'Muilleoir was shocking but overshadowed by the DUP shenagins.  It appeared that the most mundane of decisions were passed to third parties for sing-off.

It's a measure of how dysfunctional Northern politics has become that this hardly garnered any attention.

/Jim.

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #5364 on: January 08, 2019, 05:02:17 PM »
Was it ever not dysfunctional?
1 BIG CUP and 1 Cupeen so far....

markl121

• View Profile
« Reply #5365 on: January 08, 2019, 05:48:30 PM »
You have to choose to see it as funny if you want to stay sane. Gay marriage is what turned them off SF!
I was supoortive of gay marraige. Its the way the party all seem to jump in together at once on issues. I wasn't for abortion but I would vote sinn fein for a united ireland which is my main priority. I understand the party would like to have everyone singing off the same hymn sheet, but at the same time,  a few years ago they were anti abortion. Seems a bit ridiculous that every single one of them are now all for it. Must have had an epiphany of sorts.

omaghjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #5366 on: January 08, 2019, 05:54:47 PM »
Their intolerance for dissent is distinctly cultish and nothing new

Embarrassingly the majority of their voters (in the north) dont want to be associated with them.

McGuniness's pragmatism brought them out of that cult and into the mainstream but they are rudderless at the minute and have reverted to their ideological cult philosophy.

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #5367 on: January 08, 2019, 06:44:45 PM »
I was supoortive of gay marraige. Its the way the party all seem to jump in together at once on issues. I wasn't for abortion but I would vote sinn fein for a united ireland which is my main priority. I understand the party would like to have everyone singing off the same hymn sheet, but at the same time,  a few years ago they were anti abortion. Seems a bit ridiculous that every single one of them are now all for it. Must have had an epiphany of sorts.

That’s what’s called the populist bandwagon.

SF are Making a UI less likely every day with their antics.

Like those shower of pricks in Westminster, all they care about is shuffling each other aside, to get a seat and a big salary. And to hell with the economy, jobs, wages etc etc. SF and the DUP act in the same way.

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #5368 on: January 08, 2019, 09:24:08 PM »
Glad to see people waking up to the antics of SF. A party only interested in lining their own pockets. A party of thugs. Not a decent politician among them. They have reached their peak. They are in decline. Nothing more than a protest vote.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #5369 on: January 08, 2019, 09:42:26 PM »
The thing is though.... In the north as a nationalist who the feck do you vote for??