Soccer punch up

Started by longrunsthefox, January 16, 2010, 06:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

Let's see does the BBC and Nolan give this as much airtime and condemnation as they have with GAA melees... I remember the row between ST Pauls and Cargin and footage was on the BBC news for over a week after it happened.. and there were others were they went to town on the GAA

Cup game abandoned after fighting  
The JJB Sports Irish Cup match between Newry City and Larne was abandoned after serious fighting between players and coaching staff late in the game.
Punches and kicks were traded in the Newry dugout and across the pitch after two Larne players and Larne manager Paul Millar had been sent-off.
Newry were leading 2-1 before referee Raymond Crangle and his assistants walked off the pitch after 82 minutes.
Crangle will now submit a report to the Irish Football Association.
Liam Hogan was sent-off for raising his hands to Newry player Darren King and then Alan Reid was dismissed for a challenge on King soon after.
Larne boss Millar was sent from the dugout and then substitutes, players and coaching staff from both sides became embroiled in trading punches and kicks all over the pitch.
BBC Radio Ulster pundit Alan Patterson described the trouble as "the worst scenes I have ever seen in 40 years of watching Irish League football".

EC Unique

Doubt if it will get any near as much. I wonder if the standard of fighting is any better than the football?? Sh1t League.

Minder

What acioon will Linfield/IFA take after these disgraceful scenes? If it was Donegal Celtic playing Cliftonville they would be kicked out of the cup.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

mountainboii

Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 16, 2010, 06:23:23 PM
Let's see does the BBC and Nolan give this as much airtime and condemnation as they have with GAA melees... I remember the row between ST Pauls and Cargin and footage was on the BBC news for over a week after it happened.. and there were others were they went to town on the GAA

The JJB Sports Irish Cup match between Newry City and Larne was abandoned after serious fighting between players and coaching staff late in the game.
Punches and kicks were traded in the Newry dugout and across the pitch after two Larne players and Larne manager Paul Millar had been sent-off.
Newry were leading 2-1 before referee Raymond Crangle and his assistants walked off the pitch after 82 minutes.
Liam Hogan was sent-off for raising his hands to Newry player Darren King and then Alan Reid was dismissed for a challenge on King soon after.
Larne boss Millar was sent from the dugout and then substitutes, players and coaching staff from both sides became embroiled in trading punches and kicks all over the pitch.
BBC Radio Ulster pundit Alan Patterson described the trouble as "the worst scenes I have ever seen in 40 years of watching Irish League football".

Darren might've had a more pleasent day down in Crossmaglen today if he'd stuck with the real football.

Maguire01

A certain poster is going to be very upset at not getting to start this thread, complete with angry face/thumbs down!
:P

Minder

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 16, 2010, 07:14:34 PM
A certain poster is going to be very upset at not getting to start this thread, complete with angry face/thumbs down!
:P

I tried to start it for that very reason but the Fox beat me to it.

Maguire01

To be fair re media coverage, it's currently the main story on the BBCNI News site (not just the Sport site).
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/default.stm

Minder

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 16, 2010, 07:20:27 PM
To be fair re media coverage, it's currently the main story on the BBCNI News site (not just the Sport site).
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/default.stm

Delete that post, it's not what the folks want to hear.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 16, 2010, 06:23:23 PM

Bet the IFA can't wait for Crangle's angle on the tangle!

passedit

Don't Panic

Minder

Is there any online footage?

Archie Mitchell

Maybe this is a cunning plan by the DUP to take some of the heat off themselves, especially with the Sunday papers due in the morning.

AZOffaly

F*ck me, that number 8 needs to be absolutely clocked. Any man that draws a boot like that on a man's head on the ground is the biggest sort of coward you can get.

brokencrossbar1

Number 8 should get a very long ban for that attack.  I wonder did the two Newry lads looking on follow in and give him the thump he deserved, cowardly f**ker.

Lady GAA GAA

Heard the radio coverage of this. Sounded awful, said thon ones were chasing players round the pitch etc.

No video cameras at the game. Referee and assistants walked off and let them get on with it. How is he supposed to report on that when he wasn't watching.