Ungrateful FAI Delaney

Started by longrunsthefox, January 16, 2010, 04:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on January 25, 2010, 12:37:09 PM
Where did all the money go?
I would suggest a lot of it has gone on soccer infrastructure (Like Abbotstown, Tolka Park, Dalymount Park etc, not too mention a whole hosty of junior clubs) just like the GAA, and don't forget that soccer is a professional sport, unlike the GAA, and had far less opportunities to make money in comparison to the GAA.
Can you provide proof of the FAI officially criticising the GAA, because I am unaware of this?
Cant say that theres a whole lot of money been poured into abbottstown - and feck all into dalymount and tolka. Certainly not much of the proceeds from the 'good years'.

Junior soccer clubs never saw feck all - apart from the option of tickets for games.

The money was wasted on instances like the first class plane tickets for officials (50 of them apparently) and their wives heading to usa 94 world cup while players travelled in economy class.
fai I dont think even lifted a finger to help fund the rovers stadium - it was left to the council !!

heffo

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 25, 2010, 02:51:31 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on January 25, 2010, 11:28:06 AM
Or haven't you heard Hill 16 resonate with "You'll never beat the Irish" whenever Dublin confront a Northern team?
first I have ever heard that Tony - though I would expect that if any Hill 16 fans did, it woul dbe tongue in cheek

I've never heard that either..

T Fearon

Not saying that the FAI haven't made mistakes. The "loans" to previous Chief Executives being one.

But the GAA have as well, and they initiated this whole debate by their offer of Croker for a soccer friendly and the offer was politely turned down without a hint of malice as far as I could see on the FAI's part.

I think both the GAA and FAI have improved immeasuarbly in terms of administration, disbursement of funds etc, and surely government bodies such as the Sports Council  etd wouldn't totlerate any form of inefficieny or incompetence nowadays.

Anyone that dismisses the FAI or indeed the GAA as a shower of incompetent fools is being as best naive or at worst totally stupid. At the end of the day both are highly successful currently, and this would not have been achieved if they were run by fools

T Fearon

Ask any Armagh fan who was on the hill at the AI semi final in 2002 to confirm what I've said about you'll never beat the Irish chant.Not saying its the worst form of abuse but surely Hardy must be the only person on this Board, who has never heard a GAA player or Official being abused by rival fans, because thats what he alleges in his last post?

INDIANA

Quote from: T Fearon on January 25, 2010, 03:07:36 PM
Not saying that the FAI haven't made mistakes. The "loans" to previous Chief Executives being one.

But the GAA have as well, and they initiated this whole debate by their offer of Croker for a soccer friendly and the offer was politely turned down without a hint of malice as far as I could see on the FAI's part.

I think both the GAA and FAI have improved immeasuarbly in terms of administration, disbursement of funds etc, and surely government bodies such as the Sports Council  etd wouldn't totlerate any form of inefficieny or incompetence nowadays.

Anyone that dismisses the FAI or indeed the GAA as a shower of incompetent fools is being as best naive or at worst totally stupid. At the end of the day both are highly successful currently, and this would not have been achieved if they were run by fools

A list of achievements by the FAI Tony please?

I'll give a quick resume

- The Eircom League is a shambles
- Junior soccer clubs are largely ignored by the FAI. Just talk to junior soccer people about it.
- No Stadium of their own. Needed a Government handout
- Can't sell the coroprate boxes of the above
- Squandered the finance created in 88-94 on corporate lunches, private jet excursions etc
- Saipan
- The most shambolic preparation for any international soccer team in the developed world pre-Saipan
- Had to get a private individual to pay for their manager

Hardly a glowing resume

Hardy

Quote from: T Fearon on January 25, 2010, 03:10:31 PMHardy must be the only person on this Board, who has never heard a GAA player or Official being abused by rival fans, because thats what he alleges in his last post?

Read it again, Einstein.

T Fearon

Here's a few.

Nuturing and Development of World Class players such as Keane, Mc Grath, Giles, Brady

Eircom League clubs making big inroads in European Competition

Qualifiers for three of the last 5 World Cup qualifiers

Ability to attract a world renowned manager

Will host a major European Tournament Final next year.

Undefeated in three out of four recent meetings with 2006 World Champions and Runners Up.

Ability to attract the likes of Brazil, Argentina etc for friendlies

T Fearon

"perpetrating and tolerating abuse of members of visiting teams, something that no other set of Irish sportsmen I can think of has ever been guilty of"

Seems pretty unambiguous to me. Of course no GAA player engages in "trash talk" to opponents, and there wasn't even a mass brawl at the 1996 All Ireland Final, or indeed at yesterday's Laois Kildare game?

Hardy

So you consider Armagh v. Dublin at GAA HQ an international event?

But never mind that. I note your acceptance of the manifestations of knackerism you didn't challenge.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on January 25, 2010, 03:48:57 PM
Here's a few.
Nuturing and Development of World Class players such as Keane, Mc Grath, Giles, Brady
Fcukin eck Tone, thats stretching it a good bit
I'd say all their nurturing was done in england !!!

as for attracting high profile opposition, yep , we are 'attracting' them to London !! :D

INDIANA

Here's a few.

Undefeated in three out of four recent meetings with 2006 World Champions and Runners Up.

Nuturing of the players is done in England

Eircom League is a shambles. Complete and utter jokeshop. No players left. Fact.

Needed Denis O brien to pay for a manager. Steve Staunton is a world class manager?

Undefeated usually means drew. Greece have won a major international competition . Why haven't we? Havn't qualified for one for 8 years.

It appears to me according to yourself that a certain management company attracts those countries you're talking about for high profile friendlies

This is better than watching a one-armed man tryig to swim.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: INDIANA on January 25, 2010, 06:20:38 PM
Here's a few.

Nuturing of the players is done in England

Eircom League is a shambles. Complete and utter jokeshop. No players left. Fact.

Needed Denis O brien to pay for a manager. Steve Staunton is a world class manager?

Undefeated usually means drew. Greece have won a major international competition . Why haven't we? Havn't qualified for one for 8 years.

It appears to me according to yourself that a certain management company attracts those countries you're talking about for high profile friendlies

This is better than watching a one-armed man tryig to swim.

Another all soccer quote on this GAA thread and this is deleted... blasphemy

T Fearon

How many GAA managers are paid by outside benefactors?

Also Brady, Keane and Mc Grath came to the attention of English clubs via the FAI's underage structures.

Why can so many on this thread not stand soccer? Do you hate great Gaels and All Ireland winners and finalists like Niall Quinn and Kevin Moran, who were happy to play for the FAI for years.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: T Fearon on January 25, 2010, 06:42:22 PM
How many GAA managers are paid by outside benefactors?

Also Brady, Keane and Mc Grath came to the attention of English clubs via the FAI's underage structures.

Why can so many on this thread not stand soccer? Do you hate great Gaels and All Ireland winners and finalists like Niall Quinn and Kevin Moran, who were happy to play for the FAI for years.

If that is reference to my last post, I can stand soccer but this debate is about GAA and FAI. An all soccer debate goes elsewhere. I was at Niall Quinn's final by the way. Bet you can't tell me the year, the teams and how many he scored.   

T Fearon

Dublin V Galway MH, 1983, was there myself but don't remember how many he scored

Was at Lansdowne in 1996 the day he scored twice against Croatia as well ;)