Ungrateful FAI Delaney

Started by longrunsthefox, January 16, 2010, 04:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: T Fearon on January 22, 2010, 04:18:10 PM
Brazil played in Dublin twice in the last 5 or 6 years, a 0-0 draw at Lansdowne in 2004 and a 1-0 win for Brazil at Croke Park in 2008. Both games were instantly forgettable, and in fact in 2008 the big names like Kaka and Ronaldinho didn't even appear.

I agree that the GAA, rather sadly, have come out of this looking like clowns.

Good then bugger off to the Aviva Stadium with you. I'm sure John  will appreciate the funds for the corporate boxes he can't sell. How many corporate boxes did the Gaa not sell - Oh thats right none. Not bad for a bunch of clowns.

If The Gaa are a bunch of clowns then the FAI must be mentally impaired then so.

Dakota

Quote from: INDIANA on January 23, 2010, 01:11:14 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on January 22, 2010, 04:18:10 PM
Brazil played in Dublin twice in the last 5 or 6 years, a 0-0 draw at Lansdowne in 2004 and a 1-0 win for Brazil at Croke Park in 2008. Both games were instantly forgettable, and in fact in 2008 the big names like Kaka and Ronaldinho didn't even appear.

I agree that the GAA, rather sadly, have come out of this looking like clowns.

Good then bugger off to the Aviva Stadium with you. I'm sure John  will appreciate the funds for the corporate boxes he can't sell. How many corporate boxes did the Gaa not sell - Oh thats right none. Not bad for a bunch of clowns.

If The Gaa are a bunch of clowns then the FAI must be mentally impaired then so.

Would take one to know one I'd reckon...

Main Street

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on January 20, 2010, 07:04:59 PM
Quote from: Main Street on January 20, 2010, 01:41:56 PM
Quote from: Hardy on January 19, 2010, 03:11:46 PM

I think you're right about the IRFU, MS, but definitely not the FAI or the soccer community. They have been grudging, ungrateful and disrespectful and acted like a crowd of knackers (I used the word deliberately earlier) that you let into your field and who proceed to treat the place as if they owned it, complain about it and wonder out loud about why it took you so long to let them in in the first place.

It's nothing that's written in the official contracts - it's just the attitude that comes across from the soccer community and it's totally at variance with that of the rugby people I talk to.

One simple example - Ronnie Whelan on RTÉ saying (I paraphrase) "they were always going to have to give in and let us in eventually".

I was always in favour of opening up, purely for practical purposes - we can use the money - but that attitude would test your conviction that it was worth it.
I have neither seen nor heard nothing, reported or quoted  (or even interpreted with a degree of rationality) to support any one of these contentions that the FAI have been grudging, ungrateful and disrespectful and acted like a crowd of knackers.
Please if it is possible take me out of my ignorance and refer to accurately reported speech from the mouth of Delaney anywhere in the WWW in the last 4 years
Just for the record and for the sake of whattaboutery, an FAI official was quoted in the press referring to Croke Park a "monument to bigotry" 3 or 4 years ago.
Not that one official should be interpreted as the voice for all, this fella's mistake was not being cute enough to keep his mouth shut.
The notion being peddled here of unanimous appreciation is far fetched.

3 or 4 years ago? Cant be that difficult to provide a link can it?  A quote like that would certainly had the GAABoard flaming for weeks.
Or just maybe you might find that the  "monument to bigotry" was a common term of disparagement used by some journalists ( such as Diarmaid Doyle?) to support their ramblings that CP should be opened up.

Neither Ziggy or Hardy have the grace to acknowledge that they have no sourced links to back up their absurd statements about the conduct of the FAI since they entered into negotiations with the GAA over use of Croke Park.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Main Street on January 23, 2010, 02:13:20 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on January 20, 2010, 07:04:59 PM
Quote from: Main Street on January 20, 2010, 01:41:56 PM
Quote from: Hardy on January 19, 2010, 03:11:46 PM

I think you're right about the IRFU, MS, but definitely not the FAI or the soccer community. They have been grudging, ungrateful and disrespectful and acted like a crowd of knackers (I used the word deliberately earlier) that you let into your field and who proceed to treat the place as if they owned it, complain about it and wonder out loud about why it took you so long to let them in in the first place.

It's nothing that's written in the official contracts - it's just the attitude that comes across from the soccer community and it's totally at variance with that of the rugby people I talk to.

One simple example - Ronnie Whelan on RTÉ saying (I paraphrase) "they were always going to have to give in and let us in eventually".

I was always in favour of opening up, purely for practical purposes - we can use the money - but that attitude would test your conviction that it was worth it.
I have neither seen nor heard nothing, reported or quoted  (or even interpreted with a degree of rationality) to support any one of these contentions that the FAI have been grudging, ungrateful and disrespectful and acted like a crowd of knackers.
Please if it is possible take me out of my ignorance and refer to accurately reported speech from the mouth of Delaney anywhere in the WWW in the last 4 years
Just for the record and for the sake of whattaboutery, an FAI official was quoted in the press referring to Croke Park a "monument to bigotry" 3 or 4 years ago.
Not that one official should be interpreted as the voice for all, this fella's mistake was not being cute enough to keep his mouth shut.
The notion being peddled here of unanimous appreciation is far fetched.

3 or 4 years ago? Cant be that difficult to provide a link can it?  A quote like that would certainly had the GAABoard flaming for weeks.
Or just maybe you might find that the  "monument to bigotry" was a common term of disparagement used by some journalists ( such as Diarmaid Doyle?) to support their ramblings that CP should be opened up.

Neither Ziggy or Hardy have the grace to acknowledge that they have no sourced links to back up their absurd statements about the conduct of the FAI since they entered into negotiations with the GAA over use of Croke Park.
Apologies, the actual quote was "built on bigotry". Bigot seemed the mot de jours for anyone pontificating on the usage of Croke Park for a few years there.
Either way, it demonstrates the fallacy of T Fearon's initial attempts to portray the soccer fraternity as being utterly and entirely magnanimous.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/bigotry-remark-angered-gaa-as-lansdowne-doubt-increases-138186.html

Hardy

Main Street - I am deeply ashamed of my grace deficit. You're absolutely right - I do not have any sourced links to support my contention that the FAI are a bunch of knackers.

As you can well imagine, I have searched the internet, scoured the libraries and ransacked the archives every waking hour for days now for the elsusive evidence on this matter of such vital importance because I couldn't trust my opinion on this. But regrettably it was without success. I must therefore withdraw my statement and concede that the FAI are as fine a bunch of gentlemen as ever ended up after a century of mismanagement without a field to play in.

T Fearon

For the record I believe the number of neanderthals on the soccer side is equal to the number on he GAA side.

I will continue to attend games at both the Aviva and Croke Park, and financially support both the GAA and FAI, and criticise either when they act clown like

Tyrone Dreamer

I touched on it earlier but it would be great if the gaa tried to promote their own games from January to May now that soccer and rubgy won't be using Croke Park. Quite a bit of money has been spent on the lights and they could be used to promote our games.

A target of 2-3 full houses from January to April with live rte tv coverage should be put in place. These games don't have make huge profits but could be a huge promotional tool. 1 such game could be the first night of the leagues. Like last year have a big kick off to them. Maybe have the All Ireland hurling and football champions both playing. Put on a light show or other entertainment, keep the tickets cheap say €15 and free for kids and really try to promote it.

Do something similar for the league finals. Could also consider a big night on St Patricks night with the club finals and Railway Cup final or one of Dublins big league games. The gaa are definately losing ground to soccer and rugby during the winter and initiatives like these could only be a good thing.

T Fearon

Novelty is wearing off for both the lights and these big fanfare occasions I'm afraid, and in any event it is another example of the GAA's folly to promote the opening league game involving Dublin, and a full house at Croker, when the final itself is played out in front of a 3 quarters empty stadium, that is if its even played at Croker at all.

On a happier note, I took delivery yesterday of two class lower Cusack Tickets for the Club Finals on St Patrick's Day, which season ticket holders like myself were able to purchase for a mere five euros each ;)

With All Ireland Final tickets secure if my county's senior and/or minor team feature, plus a seat block booked at the new Aviva for Messi's visit in August, It's gonna be a great sporting year ;D

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: T Fearon on January 24, 2010, 11:28:17 AM
Novelty is wearing off for both the lights and these big fanfare occasions I'm afraid, and in any event it is another example of the GAA's folly to promote the opening league game involving Dublin, and a full house at Croker, when the final itself is played out in front of a 3 quarters empty stadium, that is if its even played at Croker at all.

On a happier note, I took delivery yesterday of two class lower Cusack Tickets for the Club Finals on St Patrick's Day, which season ticket holders like myself were able to purchase for a mere five euros each ;)

With All Ireland Final tickets secure if my county's senior and/or minor team feature, plus a seat block booked at the new Aviva for Messi's visit in August, It's gonna be a great sporting year ;D

If your talking about through the season ticket scheme I think your wrong in saying you have a ticket secured for the final if Armagh minors are there. I know there is a new initiative this year but don't think it guarentee's you a ticket if minors are there, just says you have a chance.

T Fearon

I was there last yer, and I'll be there this year if either Armagh seniors or minors are involved ;)

magickingdom

Quote from: dublinfella on January 21, 2010, 01:21:38 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on January 18, 2010, 11:23:35 PM
]

And therein lies the problem. A lot of these soccer eejits within the FAI and fans (Tony included) think that the GAA is and that have an automatic right to get into Croke Park.

Well once the gates closed, I for one will be wanting to keep it closed.

Thats ridicilious. The background here is the GAA approaching the FAI to try and have a Brazil home game played in Croke Park.

And now we have people who were opposed to soccer being in Croker in the first place giving the FAI dogs for not having even more there. Its surreal.

there are two thing i want to spew about here. . the gaa and the fai

the gaa dropped the ball here with the begrudging way they opened croke park supposedly to keep diehards on side when in fact there were very few diehards in the first place. the gaa has made tens of millions in rent but the problem would be much bigger if the gaa had budget forward with that income (structural deficit anyone), fortunately they set it aside for specific projects which will now end. that some people still believe it was a mistake to open croke park beggars belief imo. the gaa should have pitched cp as the national stadium from day one and made money out of soccer and rugby, failing that they should have looked for gaa in the new stadium as they need a smaller stadium in dublin.

the fai and delaney in particular get dogs abuse dublinfella because they are incompetent beyond words. ireland is soccer mad yet hows that league of ireland going for you? they have the biggest sports franchise in the world and have a bankrupt business plan, its like having a mcdonalds franchise in tallaght and losing money. i dont really care that much as gaa is my first love along with golf and american football tho i was gutted when ireland didnt make the wc and would have gone as i've done to previous wcs. there was an article in one of the papers during the week about the gaa having literally no presence in large parts of urban ireland, which has basically been left to soccer, thats something the gaa need to work at fulltime imo. as for the fai what have they done to promote their league in these areas? nothing. finally what i really dont understand is the irfu now handing over half their stadium to the fai when they could have financed it themselves. .

Main Street

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on January 23, 2010, 02:42:03 PM
Apologies, the actual quote was "built on bigotry". Bigot seemed the mot de jours for anyone pontificating on the usage of Croke Park for a few years there.
Either way, it demonstrates the fallacy of T Fearon's initial attempts to portray the soccer fraternity as being utterly and entirely magnanimous.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/bigotry-remark-angered-gaa-as-lansdowne-doubt-increases-138186.html
There would appear to be some dispute as to when the chance remark was heard.
That chance remark has a lot of milage. Maybe whenever a FAI employee visits Croke Park they just cant help making the same chance remark within earshot of 'Lugs' the sharp eared GAA official. But I have my reasonable doubts.
Here is the 2003 version.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/the-odd-couple-soccer-and-gaa-remain-bitter-enemies-51143.html
"a chance remark by a highly prominent FAI employee of the time at the opening of the Special Olympics in 2003 that "the place (Croke Park) was built on bigotry" reflects an attitude that still exists in soccer circles."

Main Street

Quote from: Hardy on January 23, 2010, 04:13:45 PM
Main Street - I am deeply ashamed of my grace deficit. You're absolutely right - I do not have any sourced links to support my contention that the FAI are a bunch of knackers.

You did claim the FAI were  grudging, ungrateful and disrespectful  as well as  acting like a crowd of knackers. I take it, you cannot substantiate any of that :)

QuoteAs you can well imagine, I have searched the internet, scoured the libraries and ransacked the archives every waking hour for days now for the elsusive evidence on this matter of such vital importance because I couldn't trust my opinion on this. But regrettably it was without success. I must therefore withdraw my statement and concede that the FAI are as fine a bunch of gentlemen as ever ended up after a century of mismanagement without a field to play in.

Incompetence is a common enough ailment for a sports association but even the FAI "knackers" had the dignity to respect the contract, abide by the terms of the contract and act with appropriate diplomacy towards the landlord. And when proven to have done this to complete satisfaction, to such an extent that the landlord was willing to accomodate an extension to the contract, an extension that they would not have contemplated in the contract discussions, suggests that (in the total absence of anything to the contrary)  the FAI acted with due propriety throughout the tenure.

T Fearon

Main St you are crediting the addressee of your posts with far to much intelligence and showing far too much respect.

INDIANA

Quote from: T Fearon on January 24, 2010, 09:23:55 PM
Main St you are crediting the addressee of your posts with far to much intelligence and showing far too much respect.

Since you're so interested in the fortunes of the garrison game Tony why don't you bugger off to their websites. this is a Gaa website- if you want to talk soccer take it to the non-gaa discussion board. I don't see the relevence of this thread on this section of the website