Ungrateful FAI Delaney

Started by longrunsthefox, January 16, 2010, 04:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: T Fearon on January 19, 2010, 10:12:51 PM
complete and utter cobblers.

The FAI always acknowledged the assistance of the GAA in match programmes etc and I never heard a soccer fan complain about Croker or the GAA.

Utter nonsense. A cursory glance at foot.ie whenever the GAA are discussed would correct your mis-apprehension.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

bingobus

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on January 20, 2010, 11:08:20 AM

The FAI always acknowledged the assistance of the GAA in match programmes etc and I never heard a soccer fan complain about Croker or the GAA.

Utter nonsense. A cursory glance at foot.ie whenever the GAA are discussed would correct your mis-apprehension.

In fairness TAM, if they where having the same discussion over there about a GAA matter and someone said they'd never heard a GAA fan complain about soccer, it would be very easy to reference this website to correct the statement.

Also, the Rugby people  have just been as critical as the soccer people of Croke park - lack of atmosphere, demensions not right, hard for kickers, can't wait for new landsdowne etc - have all been discussed on the tv and in papers. They have been appreciative as well but to say they've been devoid of criticism, unlike the soccer crowd, is just misstating facts to suit an argument.

T Fearon

All in all soccer and rugby at Croker has been of benefit to the GAA and not just financially. It has undoubtedly raised the awareness of the GAA among people who had previously no connections with it, and probably vice versa as well.

I think that all three major sports have demonstrated that they can work together and hopefully this new relationship will blossom and who knows they might even learn from and enrich each other.

In 2008 in the premium section at Croker prior to a Leinser Championship game, I saw a famous former Irish internatonal soccer  goalkeeper who knows a thing about saving penalties having a pint and a laugh with a former Dublin midfield great. I suspect there's the same huge degree of respect between all the practitoners of the three sports at the highest level.

Main Street

Quote from: Hardy on January 19, 2010, 03:11:46 PM

I think you're right about the IRFU, MS, but definitely not the FAI or the soccer community. They have been grudging, ungrateful and disrespectful and acted like a crowd of knackers (I used the word deliberately earlier) that you let into your field and who proceed to treat the place as if they owned it, complain about it and wonder out loud about why it took you so long to let them in in the first place.

It's nothing that's written in the official contracts - it's just the attitude that comes across from the soccer community and it's totally at variance with that of the rugby people I talk to.

One simple example - Ronnie Whelan on RTÉ saying (I paraphrase) "they were always going to have to give in and let us in eventually".

I was always in favour of opening up, purely for practical purposes - we can use the money - but that attitude would test your conviction that it was worth it.
I have neither seen nor heard nothing, reported or quoted  (or even interpreted with a degree of rationality) to support any one of these contentions that the FAI have been grudging, ungrateful and disrespectful and acted like a crowd of knackers.
Please if it is possible take me out of my ignorance and refer to accurately reported speech from the mouth of Delaney anywhere in the WWW in the last 4 years

INDIANA

Quote from: T Fearon on January 20, 2010, 10:01:05 AM
I am not losing it. I have indeed made my point, supported as usual by lucid, logical and irrefutable arguments, and happy to leave it at that. ;D

All based on groundless evidence You don't work for Fianna Fail do you?

ziggysego

Quote from: T Fearon on January 20, 2010, 01:07:22 PM
All in all soccer and rugby at Croker has been of benefit to the GAA and not just financially. It has undoubtedly raised the awareness of the GAA among people who had previously no connections with it, and probably vice versa as well.

I think that all three major sports have demonstrated that they can work together and hopefully this new relationship will blossom and who knows they might even learn from and enrich each other.

In 2008 in the premium section at Croker prior to a Leinser Championship game, I saw a famous former Irish internatonal soccer  goalkeeper who knows a thing about saving penalties having a pint and a laugh with a former Dublin midfield great. I suspect there's the same huge degree of respect between all the practitoners of the three sports at the highest level.

As much as I've disagreed with you in the rest of the thread, that's true enough. Mind you, I think you've slightly romancised it a bit.

Still glad to see Rule 42 back ;)
Testing Accessibility

Main Street

Quote from: ziggysego on January 19, 2010, 10:18:03 PM

I remember the first thing the FAI did when they got into Croke Park. They complained about the state of the pitch.

The usual thing to substantiate a claim and refresh your memory is give a link. 

Are you referring to the refusal of the GAA to allow the soccer team to train before the game against Wales?

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2006/12/14/story20752.asp

December 14, 2006
Delaney
"The GAA deserve a lot of credit for the Rule 42 change. I understand the sensitivities involved. With that in mind, we ensured the San Marino game was at home in November and not at home in February because from my perspective it was a better idea if the IRFU played the first games in there. I also said that it would be preferable if an IRFU training session took place there before a soccer one.

"But I've got to say that on an operational level, and when I meet with Nicky Brennan and Liam Mulvihill, relations are very cordial and very professional.

"For obvious reasons the GAA pointed out that they couldn't accommodate us on February 5 — they have a rugby game the following weekend and Dublin play Tyrone there on February 3. That's the explanation that was given and I have to accept it.

"Of course every manager would love to have more training sessions. But I'm very happy with how we're progressing with the GAA, particularly in terms of the negotiations around 2008."

T Fearon

I can only see examples of the FAI's gratitude and respect, as far as the GAA is concerned,and this was alluded to in every match programme.

In any event I think the sensible sane supporters of all three codes are grateful for the last three years

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Main Street on January 20, 2010, 01:41:56 PM
Quote from: Hardy on January 19, 2010, 03:11:46 PM

I think you're right about the IRFU, MS, but definitely not the FAI or the soccer community. They have been grudging, ungrateful and disrespectful and acted like a crowd of knackers (I used the word deliberately earlier) that you let into your field and who proceed to treat the place as if they owned it, complain about it and wonder out loud about why it took you so long to let them in in the first place.

It's nothing that's written in the official contracts - it's just the attitude that comes across from the soccer community and it's totally at variance with that of the rugby people I talk to.

One simple example - Ronnie Whelan on RTÉ saying (I paraphrase) "they were always going to have to give in and let us in eventually".

I was always in favour of opening up, purely for practical purposes - we can use the money - but that attitude would test your conviction that it was worth it.
I have neither seen nor heard nothing, reported or quoted  (or even interpreted with a degree of rationality) to support any one of these contentions that the FAI have been grudging, ungrateful and disrespectful and acted like a crowd of knackers.
Please if it is possible take me out of my ignorance and refer to accurately reported speech from the mouth of Delaney anywhere in the WWW in the last 4 years
Just for the record and for the sake of whattaboutery, an FAI official was quoted in the press referring to Croke Park a "monument to bigotry" 3 or 4 years ago.
Not that one official should be interpreted as the voice for all, this fella's mistake was not being cute enough to keep his mouth shut.
The notion being peddled here of unanimous appreciation is far fetched.

Premier Emperor

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on January 20, 2010, 11:08:20 AM

Mentioning the GAA on soccer forums like foot.ie is like discussing the merits of African-American rap artists on a KKK forum!

T Fearon

No one is arguing that there are not those among the soccer fraternity who have an irrational hatred for the GAA and vice versa as this thread proves.

But hopefully the number of neanderthals on both sides has reduced substantially as a result of the last three years

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on January 20, 2010, 01:07:22 PM
no big deal tone - same man played midfield for donegal at minor and I think u21 if not senior level in league/challenge game.
He was giving us a tour of Celtic park and I asked him with a laugh if he regretted leaving Gaelic football - he smiled and said he did miss football a bit !!

dublinfella

Quote from: ziggysego on January 18, 2010, 11:23:35 PM
]

And therein lies the problem. A lot of these soccer eejits within the FAI and fans (Tony included) think that the GAA is and that have an automatic right to get into Croke Park.

Well once the gates closed, I for one will be wanting to keep it closed.

Thats ridicilious. The background here is the GAA approaching the FAI to try and have a Brazil home game played in Croke Park.

And now we have people who were opposed to soccer being in Croker in the first place giving the FAI dogs for not having even more there. Its surreal.

AZOffaly

Quote from: dublinfella on January 21, 2010, 01:21:38 PM
]

And therein lies the problem. A lot of these soccer eejits within the FAI and fans (Tony included) think that the GAA is and that have an automatic right to get into Croke Park.

Thats ridicilious. The background here is the GAA approaching the FAI to try and have a Brazil home game played in Croke Park.

And now we have people who were opposed to soccer being in Croker in the first place giving the FAI dogs for not having even more there. Its surreal.

Not often it happens dublinfella, but I agree with you.

ziggysego

Quote from: dublinfella on January 21, 2010, 01:21:38 PM
]

I'm happy Brazil aren't coming into Croke Park, never wanted Rule 42 done away with anything. However I accepted the decision once it was made.

It's more the attitude of Delaney and the FAI that's getting my goat up now.
Testing Accessibility