Ungrateful FAI Delaney

Started by longrunsthefox, January 16, 2010, 04:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 17, 2010, 05:08:36 PM
Also, I thought the 35,000 figure was based on opening the whole of Croker, ie all sections, upper and lower decks of the stands, the hill etc etc. Goes back to policing, stewarding, catering etc etc.

When the upper decks are closed, the break even point goes down. At least that was the impression I got.

Think that figure of 33,000 or 35,000 was nonsense I think. If that was the minimum for opening the ground they must make huge losses for intermediate club finals etc - say €600,000 (30,000 x 20euro as only 5,000 would attend). That figure was widely used in the media but think it was totally misleading.

mountainboii

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on January 17, 2010, 05:13:09 PM
Also, I thought the 35,000 figure was based on opening the whole of Croker, ie all sections, upper and lower decks of the stands, the hill etc etc. Goes back to policing, stewarding, catering etc etc.

When the upper decks are closed, the break even point goes down. At least that was the impression I got.

Think that figure of 33,000 or 35,000 was nonsense I think. If that was the minimum for opening the ground they must make huge losses for intermediate club finals etc - say €600,000 (30,000 x 20euro as only 5,000 would attend). That figure was widely used in the media but think it was totally misleading.

Remember this discussion on the board before, and it was agreed that it was nonsense since there were too many variables, not least of which ticket prices, to have a set break even number applied to every game. At best it might have been the average figure over the course of a year.

T Fearon

Surely the point is that it is economic suicide that Dublin has one super state of the art stadium accommodating 82,000 and another accomodating 50,000, financiaqlly pressurising all three major sporting bodies, whereas Croke Park could have been designated as the N

T Fearon

National Sports Stadium, had the GAA agreed,obviating the need to redevelop Lansdowne, and resulting in relative prosperity for all three bodies, and an 82,000 ncapacity stadium filled to capacity 10 times a year.

INDIANA

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on January 17, 2010, 05:13:09 PM

It is a fact not nonsense. i'd like your evidence to the contrary where its nonsense please. The running costs are nowhere near as big as you're saying. They hardly need 200 stewards for a 5,000 strong crowd. They lose money opening those for games- no question- but not as much as you think. But anything but under 35k means they lose money. But if its a 5k crowd- then the amount of people needed in the ground are next to nothing. They lose more money on matches where the crowds are from 23k-35k. Those games shouldn't be in croke park in my view.

ziggysego

Tony has shown his true colours today. Haven't you a soccer match you could be watching?
Testing Accessibility

From the Bunker

Look as one of the few (but growing steadily) people involved at ground roots in both soccer and football, i feel i can give a unbiased look the situation. Soccer and Rugby in Ireland by and large are AMATEUR sports in Ireland. A Trickle of both sports get re-imbursed for their exploits (mostly abroad). Most of my friend like both sports and encourage their kids to play both sports. We all take great pride when achievements such as a player making the county team, an international trial or the rare trophies that come back to our Parishes or Districts. Every now and then we get hard line people involved in one of the organisations who tries to be-little the other or will try and ruin it for the kids, for the sake of their own agenda.

In the case of the argument raised. I have to say that Both the GAA and FAI did what was right for their respective organisations at the time. Hindsight is great but you have to realise that the GAA originally took a chance letting FAI/IRFU in. Part of this deal for FAI/IRFU to have stadium built. If the GAA knew what they knew now, that they would have no bother from members then there would have been no time limit on renting of Croker. The FAI/IRFU would probably done a smaller development for Club finals etc. Everybody would be happy. Except the IRFU/FAI would be under the monopoly of the GAA for the use of Croker.

All said there is no winner.

Tyrone Dreamer

The best thing about soccer and rugby moving out of Croke Park is that it might focus the minds of those running the gaa to try to fill the stadium more for our own games. The gaa showed last year with the Dublin Tyrone game under lights what is possible with the right advertising and it was a great night - unfortunately they haven't built on it and come up with more ways to sell our games, instead they have been happy to take easy money of the fai and irfu.

The gaa obviously don't want to reduce price's to much as it would reduce revenue which is needed to run the organisation. For a big match they might say be guarenteed 50,000 who would pay the current rates. One way of selling more seats imo would be to attract neutrals. Under the season ticket scheme why not offer at the start of the championship people the option to pay 20 or 25 euro which would allow them to gain entry to all championship matches (except all ireland finals) in hurling or football in which there own county wasn't involved. You would have to apply for whatever matches you wanted a week before or whatever but they would be free (would have to be identity check so you weren't giving tickets away or selling them). This way your promoting the scheme, rewarding loyal fans and helping to fill venues by attracting people who other wise probably wouldn't have bothered going.

That's just one initiative, I'm sure they could come up with many others like free tickets in schools or deals with the tourist board etc.

Zulu

I read somewhere that London Irish had increased their gates from 4 - 5,000 to 10 - 15,000 for home games by, in part, making the games more family friendly. Face painting for the kids, hospitality tents with food and drink etc., the point was made that people want to be part of something (supporting a team) so if you make the effort you'll get the crowds. We should be doing this as a matter of priority, CP should be a promotional tool that we can utilize, not simply a stadium to host games. Are Dublin schools targeted and given free tickets for matches, with food and some entertainment thrown in? Obviously not, we need to remember that sport is an entertainment to the majority of people and if we can't get 50,000+ into certain games we need to target that audience. It's madness to allow our competitors free reign at that population while we comfort ourselves in pride of the parish nonsense.

T Fearon

Being a soccer and gaa fan I never gratuitously criticise either body, but wish there was more co operation between the two for the sake of irish sport. At the end of the day neither should feel threatened by the other as both are firmly established.

The GAA does some crazy things. What other sporting body could market the opening fixture in one of its major touraments to attract a full house of 82,000, yet more or less ignore the final of the same tournament  which struggles to attract a 1/3 of that crowd?

The lesson surely now of two major stadia, one two small and the other too big, should be to co operate and think strategically together and learn from each other

INDIANA

Quote from: T Fearon on January 17, 2010, 09:00:50 PM
Being a soccer and gaa fan I never gratuitously criticise either body, but wish there was more co operation between the two for the sake of irish sport. At the end of the day neither should feel threatened by the other as both are firmly established.

The GAA does some crazy things. What other sporting body could market the opening fixture in one of its major touraments to attract a full house of 82,000, yet more or less ignore the final of the same tournament  which struggles to attract a 1/3 of that crowd?

The lesson surely now of two major stadia, one two small and the other too big, should be to co operate and think strategically together and learn from each other

I disagree. i'd happily do business with the IRFU. But as far as I'm concerned after the weekends comments John Delaney and the FAi can f*** off.

rosnarun

the real story is with out super sized croke park the knackers and the egg chasers would never have been able to afford their tiny share of the cost of rebuilding lansdowne road.
there attitude is that of  one of a tenant , build us some stadiums well sell tickets then well pay our way . they took no risk and were still able to develop their games at the same time, at the expense of thier own local clubs and competitions.
we all know the LOI is a joke but the destruction of the ail and there fore any meaning senior rugby competition in Ireland will come back to haunt the irfu.
in 10 years time there will a situation similar to soccer which is if your any good you wont be playing in ireland
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

From the Bunker

Lets go back to the article

Delaney hits out at GAA's stance on Croker

John Delaney has claimed the FAI and IRFU might not have gone ahead with the Aviva Stadium development if they had known Croke Park would be available to them in the long term.
Nothing wrong with that statement

The GAA only agreed to open its doors to soccer and rugby in 2007 on a temporary basis, but the financial success of staging international games at Croke Park has seen a change in attitude in the GAA, and it is expected that a motion will passed at Congress in April which will give Central Council the power to open the stadium to other sports in the future.

Journalist commentry

But speaking after yesterday's announcement that the Republic of Ireland's glamour friendly on March 3 against Brazil will take place in Arsenal's Emirates Stadium and not Croke Park, the FAI chief executive again ruled out a return for the international soccer team to GAA headquarters for at least 10 years, stating that the GAA's initial position forced soccer and rugby chiefs to redevelop Lansdowne Road and sign long-term contracts with sponsors and suppliers.

Journalist commentry

"Had it been made clear going in that Croke Park would remain open in the longer term, I think that discussion could have taken place," the Waterford native said.

Same as first comment so there is nothing of malice there

"But it was made clear to both Philip Browne (IRFU CEO) and myself when we attended the first meetings that Croke Park was not going to become available to us in the longer haul."

Noting there we have not heard before.

So where in all of this does Delaney give a parting shot? Where is the ungratefulness?

By the way where was this piece sourced?

Emirates confirmed for Brazil friendly

from Ireland.com

http://www.ireland.com/home/Emirates_confirmed_Brazil_friendly/maxi/fast/news/irnews/246407

Soccer: The FAI today confirmed the Republic of Ireland will play Brazil in a friendly at Arsenal's Emirates Stadium on Tuesday, March 2nd, subject to final approval from the English FA.

Kentaro, the international sports promoter involved with the fixture, announced the Emirates as the venue for the friendly. Kentaro are expected to announce kick-off time and ticket details next week.

Kentaro, who have staged a number of Brazil matches at the north London venue previously, including matches against Italy, Argentina and Portugal, had been in talks with Arsenal football club for some time while the FAI had been negotiating with the GAA.

Croke Park had been interested in staging the game, and stadium director Peter McKenna expressed his regret that the match was being taken abroad yesterday, but the final decision was Kentaro's to make.

"I would love for the game to be at Croke Park in Dublin," explained FAI chief executive John Delaney. "But Kentaro have the European rights for Brazil . . . we've been invited to play the game but had no input into where the game was staged.

"It would have been nice to play the game in Croke Park, it would probably have been our last game in Croke Park, but it's not to be."

T Fearon

Exactly, Delaney was only presenting facts, but the rednecks on here who can't stand soccer and see it as a threat, interpret any thing Delaney says as an insult.

INDIANA

Quote from: T Fearon on January 18, 2010, 10:40:24 AM
Exactly, Delaney was only presenting facts, but the rednecks on here who can't stand soccer and see it as a threat, interpret any thing Delaney says as an insult.

So by that token will an obviously illiterate individual like yourself accept that the FAI refused to get involved in a National Stadium in the late 80's when asked to do so by the other sporting bodies because they felt they didn't need us? And thats its entirely hypocritical of Delaney to suggest that somehow the Gaa put  a roadblock in place to the provisions of a National Stadium. Just on behalf of us rednecks.

Delaney is essentially a 2nd hand car salesman. And a bad one at that. Even soccer people will tell you that Tony. Its amazing not one of my soccer friends have a good word to say about him. And these are people who deal with him directly. And I'll bet any money off the record the IRFU will tell you the same.