Ulster Senior Football Club Championship 2010

Started by drici, January 14, 2010, 11:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whiskeysteve

Quote from: hardstation on October 26, 2010, 10:21:48 AM
Galls won't have much bother putting Cross away.

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 26, 2010, 10:28:51 AM
I can't see Cross losing this one.  Their record at home is formidable plus they have both experience, youth and talent in abundance.

Draw. Definitely going to be a draw.

"What do you think, Tony Scullion?"

"ITS A DRRRRRAW, PICK UP THE CYAPS AN GO BACK TO THE MAASTER"
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

winsamsoon

Cross and St Gall's will be no easy affair and at the value a draw could be worth a poke

I am backing Coalisland @11/2 for the Ulster they seem to have a easier passage through with the two big guns meeting in the first round. 11/2 for one big game is worth a punt for me as they have came out of a pretty strong club footballing county
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

brokencrossbar1

Draw wouldn't be out of the question.  I reckon still though that St Gall's will nick it by 2-3 points.  The thing is though they will have to cope with the pressure of being favourites and that is not always an easy tag to carry for any team.  They should be able to deal with it but pressure can sometim,es make certain kinds of players crack.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 26, 2010, 01:09:28 PM
Draw wouldn't be out of the question.  I reckon still though that St Gall's will nick it by 2-3 points.  The thing is though they will have to cope with the pressure of being favourites and that is not always an easy tag to carry for any team.  They should be able to deal with it but pressure can sometim,es make certain kinds of players crack.

Well Crossbar at the minute we are favourites but it seems that there is some heavy punting going on, our price is moving out and your price is getting lower!!!

I'll put my fiver on and see if that makes a difference, I think by the end of the week there wont be much between them, well in Paddy Powers betting shop, never a game won in there but they are good judges
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Zapatista

I wouldn't worry to much about the favourites tag. They've been favourites in every game they have played in over a year. It will be unusual for Cross to be underdogs and they might relish that in particular being at home. I'd say there is more chance of the underdog tag (although it's only slight) having an effect on Cross than a favourite tag effecting St. Galls.

I have to agree with Hardstation and expect St. Galls to come out on top.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Joxer on October 26, 2010, 09:19:50 AM
See the Irish News are saying this morning that John Mac is back in the Cross fold.   A massive boost for them.  Also they were saying betting for the game is  6/4 Cross v St Galls  8/11. 

Bullshit, not happening.  IN filling space again with speculation.

Quote from: Zapatista on October 26, 2010, 01:26:16 PM

I wouldn't worry to much about the favourites tag. They've been favourites in every game they have played in over a year. It will be unusual for Cross to be underdogs and they might relish that in particular being at home. I'd say there is more chance of the underdog tag (although it's only slight) having an effect on Cross than a favourite tag effecting St. Galls.

I have to agree with Hardstation and expect St. Galls to come out on top.

That's why I said they should be able to deal with it.  The should win this game and would be a shoo in for Ulster.  It is hard to win back to back AI's and with Dr Crokes and nemo looking strong and Portlaoise always being strong they will have their work cut out to win the AI but I have no doubt that they would fancy themselves for it if they get over Cross on Sunday.

Milltown Row2

Portlaoise would feel they fcuked up last year to Kilmurray and have something to prove, Crokes and the Dublin winners will also have a say in the direction of the All Ireland. Nemo not as strong as they have been in the past. So I'm discounting them now :o

No guarantee that the Ulster winners will be coming from our match but certainly, and rightly so the favourites will be the winners on Sunday!!

Looking forward to it, the players know that this team we have currently has only 3/4 years at winning the Antrim Championship and the opportunity of becoming All Ireland champions, lost one won one is great for any club. But I'm sure they want more.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 26, 2010, 02:26:39 PM
Portlaoise would feel they fcuked up last year to Kilmurray and have something to prove, Crokes and the Dublin winners will also have a say in the direction of the All Ireland. Nemo not as strong as they have been in the past. So I'm discounting them now :o

No guarantee that the Ulster winners will be coming from our match but certainly, and rightly so the favourites will be the winners on Sunday!!

Looking forward to it, the players know that this team we have currently has only 3/4 years at winning the Antrim Championship and the opportunity of becoming All Ireland champions, lost one won one is great for any club. But I'm sure they want more.

Discount Nemo at your peril.  The winners between them and Crokes wll have a major say in whether you retain your title.  The have been building in new players this year and I heard from a man at the final and he said they were very fit and beat the Barrs with a bit in the tank.  tradition also is massive at this time of the year. 

mackers

There seems to be a doubt over with Jaimie Clarke has been cleared to play on Sunday. I hear he is definitely out. Have you heard BC?
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: mackers on October 26, 2010, 03:17:36 PM
There seems to be a doubt over with Jaimie Clarke has been cleared to play on Sunday. I hear he is definitely out. Have you heard BC?

Nothing definite but don't think he'll play

Applesisapples

Quote from: mackers on October 26, 2010, 03:17:36 PM
Definitely out Cross have decided not to go to DRA. Won't matter Cross at home too win by 2. Don't listen to BC1 same oul Cross  BS!! :) Croke's if they beat Nemo look a sure bet for the AI though, very impressed with the style of football in the Kerry final against Stacks.

drici

Ulster Junior Football Championship
Preliminary Round Replay
Corduff Gaels 1-10  Killyman St Marys 0-07

TYRONE champions Killyman crashed out of the provincial title race when they lost to Corduff of Monaghan in their Ulster Club JFC preliminary round replay at Pairc Grattan, Inniskeen on Sunday.

Corduff started slowly and they found themselves trailing by three points by the time they got off the mark in the 16th minute. They turned the game on its head in the second quarter, however, as they hit 1-6 without reply to take control. The sides shared eight points in the second half, as Corduff eased through.

Killyman played the last ten minutes with 14 men after Edward Holland was shown a straight red card and he was followed by his team-mate Paul McVeigh and Corduff's Shane McNally Jnr., who both picked up second bookings in the final minute of normal time.

The only goal of the game was a clinically-taken finish just before half-time from Keith McEnaney, who had also found the net in the drawn game a week earlier.

McEnaney and Brendan McNally were on form up front for Corduff, while Declan Larkin was his usual industrious and effective presence at centre half-back and Ciarán Brennan and Gerry Mee impressed in the full-back line. Corner-forwards Enda McGahan and Michael Donnelly led the way for Killyman, who also had hard-working performances from Ciarán Óg Hughes and Kieran Gates.

Like in the drawn game, Killyman made the better start and Enda McGahan opened the scoring with a good point from play after just over a minute. 20-metre frees by McGahan and Michael Donnelly, after fouls on Ryan McKenna and Ciarán Óg Hughes, gave Killyman a three-point lead, before Corduff took charge with 1-7 in a row. Brendan McNally eventually got the Monaghan men's first score when he sent over after good work by Raymond Byrne, Cathal Connolly and Martin Mills.

Keith McEnaney added a point for Corduff after a good break out of defence by full-back Ciarán Brennan and they edged ahead for the first time through close-range frees by Raymond Byrne and Brendan McNally, following fouls on Keith and Christopher McEnaney. Brendan McNally kicked a fine score from play, after he had been well-placed by Ciarán Brennan, before Corduff got the game's only goal in the 30th minute when Christopher McEnaney and Brendan McNally combined well to set-up Keith McEnaney for a precise finish which left Killyman keeper Patrick O'Hagan with no chance.

Byrne added a point from a 30-metre free, after Kieran Gates had been penalised for a throw ball, to give Corduff a six-point lead at half-time: 1-06 to 0-03.

Corduff almost had the ball in the net just three minutes after the restart, but Martin Mills was unlucky to see a cracking shot crash off the post, before Christopher McEnaney sent a shot over, via the left upright. Enda McGahan ended 25 scoreless minutes for Killyman when he sent one over after a one-two with Donnelly, before Christopher McEnaney sliced well wide from a great goal chance, created by a quick free from Shane Connolly.

Pauric Gollogly won and scored a 25-metre free to restore Corduff's seven-point cushion and Byrne increased that further when he tapped over a 13-metre free for a foul on Mills. Killyman almost got a lifeline when Corduff 'keeper Darren Byrne spilled possession in front of his goals, but his blushes were saved by his corner-back Ben Woods, who made a brave block to deny Ryan McKenna a certain goal.

Killyman's chances received a further setback 10 minutes from time when Edward Holland was shown a straight red card for a high tackle on Shane McNally Jnr. Killyman did manage a couple of consolation scores, as Michael Donnelly kicked a fine point off the outside of his boot and Enda McGahan converted a '45, before both sides had a man sent off in the final minute of normal time. Shane McNally Jnr was shown a second yellow for a foul on Cathal McAliskey and he was quickly followed by Killyman midfielder Paul McVeigh, who got a second booking after an off-the-ball incident.

Ciarán Óg Hughes linked up with Donnelly to kick a point for Killyman in injury-time, but Gollogly got on the end of a pass from sub Shane Malone to seal Corduff's win and book their place in next Sunday's quarter-final against Donegal junior champions Naomh Colmcille, Newtowncunningham.

Corduff: Darren Byrne; Ben Woods, Ciarán Brennan, Gerry Mee (Capt.); Shane McNally Jnr., Declan Larkin, Gareth King; Cathal Connolly, Shane Connolly; Pauric Gollogly (0-2, 1f), Christopher McEnaney (0-1), Martin Mills; Keith McEnaney (1-1), Raymond Byrne (0-3f), Brendan McNally (0-3, 1f).
Subs: Ciarán Malone for Mee (inj., 46 mins), Shane Malone for Mills (56).
Temporary Sub: Shane McNally Snr. for King (26-28).

Killyman: Patrick O'Hagan; Kieran McGahan, Kieran Gates, Declan McAlinden; Gerard Hughes, Seán Hughes (Capt.), Declan Boyle; Paul McVeigh, Ciarán Óg Hughes (0-1); Edward Holland, Conor Boyle, Ryan Hughes; Michael Donnelly (0-2, 1f), Ryan McKenna, Enda McGahan (0-4, 1f, 1 '45).
Subs: Cathal McAliskey for K McGahan (29), Maurice Devlin for G Hughes (42).

Referee: Gavin Corrigan (Down).

donelli

As a monaghan man who has followed a lot of club football, i'd like to see the Donegal side Naomh Conaill taste success this weekend  ;D

trileacman

Does anyone know when the semi's are fixed for?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

longrunsthefox

What's the story with Coalisland down to play a 'home' game in Omagh and their field a county park or watever. Didn't Clonoe not play in Coalisland's field two years ago in the first round? Roslea wud be a shorter journey to Omagh than Coalsiland would so is hardly a home game!