"Anxious wait for some as Moriarty report nears publication"

Started by Zapatista, January 14, 2010, 07:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: baoithe on March 24, 2011, 08:14:16 AM
Quote from: Bogball XV on March 23, 2011, 02:40:53 PM
Quote from: baoithe on March 23, 2011, 01:20:42 PM
The details of the event were passed on unsolicited under the instructions of the leader of the day Micheal Noonan to the Tribunal.

The Tribunal also found that then Minister Lowery was the only member of the cabinate to bear any cabinate responsibility.

Micheal Lowery was ejected from the party immediately.

The 50K aquired by the pair of rogue members was returned.

Your loyalty is admirable. Every party needs people like you to survive.
I don't know, sometimes even staunch supporters would gain more credibility by taking heed of the facts, admitting that errors were made, and leaving it at that.

I agree but its true that political parties could not function if all of their members actually used the bit of grey matter between their lugs and recognised the woods for the trees. You need people who are blindly loyal and who swallow the party spin. Gombeens really.
[/quote]

I knew well what you meant. Here I am hardly a gombeen for actually listening to the findings of the report. Micheal Lowry was the only one to have cabinate responsibility for his actions. Spin it all you like, but thats the findings.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

rossie mad

Did anyone hear Lowry on the last word yesterday evening?

He reckons that Ben Dunne gave the FG party a lot of money during the nineties because it was broke.
He also maintians that he got a 'loan' from austin of 147,000 punt in relation to the refurbishment of a house which cost 200,000 punt.

Was he putting tiles of gold in the kitchen or what?

Some of his explainations for his meetings with O brien was laughable.O brien bumped into him after the AIF in 95 and asked could he join him for a pint?

He seemingly told Tony O Reilly "that his people have made a hash of it" in relation to the presentation for the awarding of the license even before he talked to the so called project team who were in charge of awarding the license.
He maintains that he never said this to O Reilly in relation to the phone license and that it was in relation to another matter which he cant rememeber.

He is a parasite and has continued the corruption image of irish politics.

Has he acted on his own though is the burning question or has other cabinet ministers at the time some questions to answer?
Some of who dont forget is around that same cabinet table again

Bogball XV

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 24, 2011, 10:55:17 AM
Sure its the irish people who get what they deserve. The Flynns were esxactly the same in Mayo, lining their pockets and breaking the rules. But many people in Castlebar will tell you they were mighty TD's because they "brought the road to Castlebar".

Politics needs legislation that brutally punishes any TD found to be corrupt. I'm talking about being sacked from the Dail, having to repay your salary and pension and banned from politics for life - real hard hitting stuff. There should also be an independent investigation team with permission to check and audit everything with wide reaching powers. This group should be mandated to sack these politicians from the Dail 1st in they believe them to be corrupt. Let the guards then spend the 10 years investigating them. The fact that we don't have anyting close to this shows us that maybe an awful lot of these politicans have something to hide? Rules like this means the gombeen voter will have no possibility in putting a guy like Lowry in the Dail.
I agree that it would be very useful to have an independent investigating team with the powers to investigate allegations of corruption and it wouldn't be surprising to see something like that being recommended by a tribunal.

TD's found to be corrupt would suffer all the penalties you suggest (not sure on the pension rights though), however, in Ireland, it is virtually impossible to prove corruption.  In fact, that's why tribunals are used to investigate these allegations, because a tribunal bases it's findings on the balance of probabilities rather than absolute proof.

As for the powers you suggest giving to this new investigating team, you have to think about how such powers could be abused.  Innocent until proven guilty is a central tenet of our justice system and must remain so.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/lowry-kept-34k-bonuses-meant-for-staff-149182.html

"Lowry kept €34k bonuses meant for staff
By Seán McCárthaigh

Thursday, March 24, 2011

MICHAEL LOWRY pocketed £34,500 intended as a Christmas bonus from Dunnes Stores for staff of his refrigeration company, according to a little-publicised finding of the Moriarty Tribunal."

sammymaguire

Its who ya know NOT what ya know in this damned country  >:(  >:(  :o

Always has been, always will be...
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

seafoid

Jesus, Sarah Carey did a shocker of an interview on Prime Time on Tuesday.

Declan

QuoteJesus, Sarah Carey did a shocker of an interview on Prime Time on Tuesday.

She sure did and her column in today's Times is nearly as bad. She represents everything i detest about the "middle" class and particularly those involved in the property game.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Declan on March 24, 2011, 10:09:23 PM

She sure did and her column in today's Times is nearly as bad. She represents everything i detest about the "middle" class and particularly those involved in the property game.

She really seems to have to lost it. Will have her on mute from now on, not a bad looker for a more mature wan.

seafoid

I think that is the end of her IT career. She was appalling.

Bogball XV

I didn't see, read nor hear her, but she did used to work for Denis O'Brien (as I suppose did more than half of the journalists/commentators in the country in one shape or form).

Eamonnca1

Have any of you had a look at O'Brien's wikipedia page lately? Could have been written by the fella himself, the only thing missing is the nine-inch-dick claim.

What I find the most interesting about wikipedia pages isn't so much the articles themselves but the discussion pages behind them and the editing history. You can see some real pitch battles being fought over what should be included and not included. On O'Brien's article it's basically a big w**k-fest over the man himself, but then somebody's dumped the Moriarty stuff in there, and then the "citation police" have come in littering it with "citation needed" tags every time something negative about him appears.  That sort of thing can be counter-productive though because editors on the other side will just go off and get citations and add them in, making the article even stronger.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 25, 2011, 07:59:41 AM
Have any of you had a look at O'Brien's wikipedia page lately? Could have been written by the fella himself, the only thing missing is the nine-inch-dick claim.

What I find the most interesting about wikipedia pages isn't so much the articles themselves but the discussion pages behind them and the editing history. You can see some real pitch battles being fought over what should be included and not included. On O'Brien's article it's basically a big w**k-fest over the man himself, but then somebody's dumped the Moriarty stuff in there, and then the "citation police" have come in littering it with "citation needed" tags every time something negative about him appears.  That sort of thing can be counter-productive though because editors on the other side will just go off and get citations and add them in, making the article even stronger.
someone probably has been appointed to a full time role with the specific responsibility of looking after DO'Bs wiki page.

It's obvious that he really hankers after the respect of his D4 peers, why else would he care?  He took the tax free €300m he made from Digifone and it's from there that his real success story starts, he has done brilliantly, he's turned that €300m into €2.5Bn.

highorlow

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Declan

QuoteDeluded O'Brien on PKenny now.

More oxygen for the great and good .