Cork All ireland football champions 2010?

Started by ross4life, January 12, 2010, 08:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Sligo would have to beat Mayo first and then I think any game with Galway would be in Galway. Not impossible but a big ask in fairness.

Bainisteoir

I think Muppet is spot on with his analysis there, especially the point on Kildare. Will be interesting to see how they go this year especially with Grimley gone, should really show Mc Geeneys managerial credentials an ability to stand on his own to feet without a mentor as such. Don't agree with down though, until they get "defenders" they are going nowhere.

The Forfeit Point

how the hell can anyone "do well in connacht" unless they win it, reaching a final is not a massive achievement there what with there being 6 teams

INDIANA

Zulu

Jeez boys, I'm flattered. Haven't read all the posts but my money is definitely still on Cork, I know I confidently predicted they'd win the AI last year but havinf watched the game once or twice since they didn't deserve the criticism that they recieved afterwards. Many Cork lads are less than impressed with Counihans team selections and I think he needs to be a bit bolder myself but the players are there. The one thing Cork don't lack is confidence so when they've got the players they don't tend to implode like Mayo or Dublin might. The other significant factor in their favour is they have genuine scoring forwards, Goulding, O'Neill, Sheehan and Gould all know where the posts are so unlike some other counties Cork have the firepower to out gun anyone. It shouldn't be forgotten that they have many young players still to fully mature so next year should see further improvements and like Indiana says most IC players should be able to play to 33 or 34 without any issues as long as they stay injury free.

cornafean

I think it will be between Kerry and Tyrone again next year. Its not a coincidence that they have won the last 6 AI's between them, they've been well ahead of the pack. Both will be missing some players from their 2009 squads but Kerry should have Donaghy back and Tyrone should be sharper and hungrier if Harte brings some new blood into the team.

I wouldn't bet against either of them.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

angermanagement

Quote from: dodgy umpire on January 13, 2010, 12:57:27 AM
Down to make the last 8 and suprise a few

Why the confidence, have Down found four new defenders since last season ? Regardless of the management Down simply don't have the players the players in defence to compete at the top level.

mountainboii

Quote from: Zulu on January 14, 2010, 10:08:08 AM
Jeez boys, I'm flattered. Haven't read all the posts but my money is definitely still on Cork, I know I confidently predicted they'd win the AI last year but havinf watched the game once or twice since they didn't deserve the criticism that they recieved afterwards. Many Cork lads are less than impressed with Counihans team selections and I think he needs to be a bit bolder myself but the players are there. The one thing Cork don't lack is confidence so when they've got the players they don't tend to implode like Mayo or Dublin might. The other significant factor in their favour is they have genuine scoring forwards, Goulding, O'Neill, Sheehan and Gould all know where the posts are so unlike some other counties Cork have the firepower to out gun anyone. It shouldn't be forgotten that they have many young players still to fully mature so next year should see further improvements and like Indiana says most IC players should be able to play to 33 or 34 without any issues as long as they stay injury free.

But where are you from ya bollix?!

mannix

Cork could well win it in 2010 because kerry must get tired at some stage and they have been great for a long time now, tommy walsh and the aussie rules lad with the book are big losses for them. Cork would easily beat mayo or dublin and tyrone hold little to frighten them either based on 2009. I cannot see past cork or kerry today for Sam in 2010, tyrone,dublin,kildare,galway and mayo are probably next but time will tell.

blanketattack

In the last 5 years Cork have not lost a single c'ship game..........except to Kerry. Cork have improved year-on-year since '06 and if they continue to improve the same amount this year then they'll surely win the All-Ireland.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: cornafean on January 14, 2010, 10:36:08 AM
I think it will be between Kerry and Tyrone again next year. Its not a coincidence that they have won the last 6 7 AI's between them, they've been well ahead of the pack...

;)

When the really big questions were asked of Cork in last year's AI final, they had no answer. Tyrone 2009 were not vintage, but had Tyrone reached the final they would not have capitulated like Cork.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

southsidejohnny

Zulu what planet are you on, Cork are as bad as Mayo and the Dubs when it comes to imploding-2002 Kerry 3-19 Cork 2-7: 2005 Kerry1-19 Cork 0-9. I recall Corkery losing the rag with the ref over one Kerry semi final drubbing. Smacked of imploding, just like the finals of 2007 and 2009.

Rossfan

Quote from: The Forfeit Point on January 13, 2010, 10:50:48 PM
connacht"  reaching a final is not a massive achievement there what with there being 6 teams

Count again buckeen ...there's 7.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Zulu

Quote from: southsidejohnny on January 14, 2010, 07:05:53 PM
Zulu what planet are you on, Cork are as bad as Mayo and the Dubs when it comes to imploding-2002 Kerry 3-19 Cork 2-7: 2005 Kerry1-19 Cork 0-9. I recall Corkery losing the rag with the ref over one Kerry semi final drubbing. Smacked of imploding, just like the finals of 2007 and 2009.

This is what I said....

Quotewhen they've got the players they don't tend to implode like Mayo or Dublin might

In those years, 2002 in particular, Cork were quite poor. Now 2005 was a bit different I'll grant you but there is no way Cork teams are as mentally fragile as some other counties and they are used to big games and big occasions so I'd be very confident if Cork make the AI next year they'll turn up, even Mayo or Dublin lads would be concerned if their lads would do the same should they get that far.

The Forfeit Point

Quote from: Rossfan on January 14, 2010, 09:45:25 PM
Quote from: The Forfeit Point on January 13, 2010, 10:50:48 PM
connacht"  reaching a final is not a massive achievement there what with there being 6 teams

Count again buckeen ...there's 7.

2 of whom are duds, so 5 teams. So I can't see how anyone can think sligo are going to do well in connacht this year unless they think they can win it.