Cork All ireland football champions 2010?

Started by ross4life, January 12, 2010, 08:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: ross4life on January 12, 2010, 11:21:19 PM
Quote from: RMDrive on January 12, 2010, 10:23:19 PM
Quote from: ross4life on January 12, 2010, 08:30:17 PM
but Why Cork? Galway, Mayo, Meath, Dublin & Kildare are at the same level as them?

i'll be happy if we beat leitrim  ;)

Surely you jest? Galway? Mayo? Meath? The same level as Cork? WTF?

Galway will have the kernan factor this year, Mayo can get to All ireland finals just like Cork, as for meath they may shock a few a get to the final this year?

i just want to know why is Cork tipped as All ireland winners for this coming season?

I think Meath will be dangerous opponents via the Qualifiers this year ;)

Bainisteoir

Cork will definitely be contenders again but it will be interesting to see if the final loss this year has given them greater incentive or knocked them back. As someone mentioned they have alot of quality youngsters but also the likes of canty and lynch have alot of miles on the clock. This is a reason why i don't think Tyrone will be AI contenders this year.... Too many miles and too much football played, think they will be in decline for a few years until the underage players of the past few years start to gain experience and become accustomed to Senior intercounty football, although with Tyrone you never know and they will be hard to write off.

With the standard of football at the minute there are 7 or 8 teams (Kildare, Mayo, Galway, Armagh, Monaghan etc) who are as good as each other and it will all come down to the "day". You only have to look at Kerry last year against Sligo when they should have been gone.

INDIANA

Quote from: blanketattack on January 13, 2010, 09:20:23 AM
Quote from: ross4life on January 12, 2010, 08:13:09 PM
Ok almost every paper/pundit i've read has predicted Cork for the 2010 Football All Ireland

Am i missing something?

maybe it's just me but i can't see it any different than Kerry or Tyrone again just like it has been since 2002!

Young players like Colm O'Neill, Paddy Kelly, etc. will benefit from last year's experience.
Players like Sheehan and Cadagon have shown huge potential and will surely get bedded into the team this year.
However on the downside, key players like Nicholas Murphy, Anthony Lynch, John Miskella, Graham Canty, Pearse O'Neill are all on the wrong side of 30 and we might see some deterioration.
Kerry have lost two key players, Kennelly and Walsh and age is catching up with a lot of the backs.
It points to a Cork-Tyrone final!

Simply can't agree- why is 30 seen as the end these days. People are living longer so it stand to reason people are going to play longer. Compared to anthony rainbow they are u21's. You can't buy experience when the shit hits the fan in a championship game. And Cork are blessed to have so much of it.

With Ciaran Sheehan staying at home- Cork are a real bet this year. My favourites personally.

Kildare still have a bit to go. The fact they couldn't beat a bad Dublin team last year took some of the gloss off their year. But I fancy them to win leinster this year but are still short of all-ireland class. Heading in the right direction though.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: johnpower on January 12, 2010, 11:50:00 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 12, 2010, 09:38:56 PM
Quote from: johnpower on January 12, 2010, 09:02:02 PM
I think that both Kildare and Cork would be a good bet .Both will have learnt from 2009

Like the way Cork learnt after final in 2007  ;)

Different manager and team for 2010 .Also much closer in 2009
[/quote

I'd love to see Cork win the All Ireland but the way they capitulate to Kerry in recent years in Croke park is worrying. Unless they could avoid Kerry in the latter stages of the championship is hard to see them cracking it. A bit like the way Kerry need to avoid Tyrone to win Sam  ;)

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: AFS on January 13, 2010, 03:32:11 PM
Where's Zulu?

I don't think he's reappeared yet since Cork lost the final last year. ;D

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 13, 2010, 03:39:22 PM
Where's Zulu?

And he's not even a Corkonian... my money's on Tipp  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Onlooker

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 13, 2010, 04:37:13 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 13, 2010, 03:39:22 PM
Where's Zulu?

And he's not even a Corkonian... my money's on Tipp  ;)
Zulu is definitely not from Tipp.  Some other Munster County, I would say.

ballinaman

Thought i read somewhere before thats it's Clare.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Onlooker on January 13, 2010, 05:09:52 PM
Zulu is definitely not from Tipp.  Some other Munster County, I would say.

Fair enough, would have to be either Waterford or Clare then (he's gotten away long enough without divulging his native patch).

Quote from: ballinaman on January 13, 2010, 05:13:57 PM
Thought i read somewhere before thats it's Clare.

Would make sense.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

lynchbhoy

IMO Cork have the best side and if they can right their croke park/kerry problem- then it will be them ,then Tyrone then Kerry as the top three teams in that order for me at least

just my opinion !

muppet

Kerry - Tommy Tadhg and probably Dara are massive losses but if any county can cope it's Kerry. But if they keep losing in Munster one of these years they will fall in a qualifier. A lot of counties will be praying for that.

Cork - Very hard for a 'new' team to come back from losing an AIF and win it straight away despite the cliche. At times last year they looked unstoppable. If they don't meet Kerry in the Final they would seriously fancy their chances.

Tyrone - Other than Kerry they have probably the largest amount of top inter county players available when they are fit. They fear no team but strangely wont be feared by some other 'contenders'. Probably would prefer Kerry to Cork in the final.

Galway - Kernan factor? I suspect he has already begged Michael Donnellan to return. As usual they have damaging fowards especially if Armstrong is played there but need something at midfield. But you would worry for a team that hasn't won a quarter final in years and haven't even a Connacht U-21 in 4. They haven't beaten Kerry in yonks either so will hope they don't meet them.

Meath - Did they overachieve in 2009 or did they turn a corner? They have a few good forwards who can do damage but hard to see enough quality elsewhere. You'd suspect though that they would be closer to Kerry in 2010 than in 2009.

Mayo -  Obviously I think we will be champions..........but some of our top players are carrying 2004 & 2006 baggage and it seemed to all fall apart against Meath too easily. We really need a lot of the recent underage players to step up quickly, especially in the spine of the team. If any team wanted to see Kerry out of the draw early it would be Mayo. Hopefully a red hot hugely hyped favourite against us in the final, preferably Dublin but more realistically Tyrone. We wouldn't want Cork and definitely not Kerry.

Kildare - Hard to know. Is McGeeney turning them into serious contenders or were they this year's Wexford? We will probably know after the Leinster Final. I think they'll win it.

Dublin - Kings of Leinster will do well to keep that title. After that they are the team all the others want to play. Not a good sign but with a good club championship (never mind what they say about the culchies) they could easily find some good new players but you would have wanted some recent success underage to be confident of that.

Derry - Should really have had a lot more appearances in Croker. A few class players but looking from a long way away there always seems to be something holding them back.

Donegal - Same as Derry although having to start in such a competitive province doesn't help. Interesting to see how Michael Murphy improves in his second season.

Armagh/Down - I think both of these two will do well in 2010. I know Down have been poor but  they had a few good ones on that U-21 team.

Big shocks this year?

Sligo to do very well in Connacht
Down to win Ulster
Dublin not to make the Leinster Final
Mayo to do well in the back door (for once)
MWWSI 2017

ross4life

so in a sense you think Sligo will beat Galway?

got to see Down up close last year & they are not much better than us

Alot of pressure on Mayo this year as will be Johnos last season if they don't progress

Leinster is so poor hard not to see Dublin getting to the final at least
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mountainboii

moysider

Quote from: ross4life on January 13, 2010, 06:18:20 PM
so in a sense you think Sligo will beat Galway?
got to see Down up close last year & they are not much better than us

Alot of pressure on Mayo this year as will be Johnos last season if they don't progress

Leinster is so poor hard not to see Dublin getting to the final at least

And that would be after they beat Mayo in the first round in Mark. That s not beyond the bounds of possibility. That would set the cat among the pigeons. At that stage Mayo could well be in division 2 as well. To be honest if they lose the first round I cant see them do anything after.