All Ireland Club Championships - Final Stages

Started by drici, January 10, 2010, 10:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fitzroyalty

St Gall's are an unreal outfit and say what you want about favourites etc, I can't see them being beat no matter who the opposition after what happened in 2006. I'm sure Kilmurray are a serious outfit aswell, though I have not seen them play. I would also say St Gall's had the harder semi-final against Corofin/Referee; whereas KI came up against a supposedly complacent P/laoise team. I don't think St Gall's rely too much on CJ, looking back at the weekend he scored 1-9, 8 of which were frees and one goal which was on a plate after a blunder by Corofin. Add to that their high fitness levels, strength in depth from the bench and previous experience of losing an AI final at Croker, I fancy them to win by 6/7+.

Rossfan

Quote from: fitzroyalty on March 01, 2010, 03:50:01 PM
St Gall's are an unreal outfit ...... I can't see them being beat no matter who the opposition

Ever hear of the Kerry 5-in-a-row t shirts?  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

imtommygunn

That's the one fear I would have is complacency.

Kilmurray won't allow them to play a fast game - they didn't allow Portlaoise - so they'll have to be able to counter that.

I would expect a dogfight to be honest.

Kilmurray have had to get through their county and province before Portlaoise. Complaceny is just a lazy excuse for teams who are beaten IMO. They weren't prepared for what they got.

If that happened to Portlaoise why could it no happen to galls.

I do expect them to win mind but there are some players in their team who are a tad cocky and they need to be very wary of this...

gallsman

Just watched the highlights on RTE Player- Anto's second yellow for trying to walk away with a Corofin man wrapped round his leg actually defies belief.

Sice's one was just as bad. He appeared to actually win the ball. Even if he didn't, there's no way in hell it was a yellow card.

Disgraceful refereeing performance all round.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: INDIANA on March 01, 2010, 03:32:03 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on March 01, 2010, 03:29:02 PM

You think galls will win by 15 points?

Anyone who has watched galls over the last 5 years knows that cj has good and bad days but most certainly is not the be all and end all for scoring returns
Nope but others think they might. No bad team gets to an all-ireland final.

I said if Galls play like they can they might win by 15. I reckon they could be their own worst enemies too though. No bad team gets to an All-Ireland final? Well that's all relative. Winning a Munster club title is far from difficult compared to the other three provinces. And Portlaoise had some run of bad luck in the semi-final. I've seen Kilmurry play on a few occasions. I won't say they're a bad team. But they are limited.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Zulu

QuoteWinning a Munster club title is far from difficult compared to the other three provinces.

Jeez, I wouldn't agree with that at all. I haven't got the records in front of me but I'd be very surprised if the Munster representatives didn't acquit themselves well at the semi final and final stage. For the record, Clare club football would certainly be in the top half of the country in terms of quality and Kilmurry are a particularly strong representative so I'd expect them to do well. In saying that I thought Gall's looked very impressive at times and looked well coached and sure of what they were trying to do. I'd like to see the game again but I thought that only for the ref, poor Gall's shooting and some dominant performances from certain Corofin players, Galls would have won comfortably.

The Worker

Zulu

saffron sam2

Anyone who has watched galls over the last 5 years knows that cj has good and bad days but most certainly is not the be all and end all for scoring returns

Tyrone '95?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

In the Onion Bag

Talk of 15 pts wins is crazy.  It just don't happen these days esp in finals where both teams will be well prepared.  Also crazy is the suggestion that St Galls are overly dependant on CJ, they are instead a complete unit.

That said and all things being equal (i.e both teams playing to their potential, a decent referee, no 1st minute send offs) I am convinced the speedy, extremely organised St Galls side have a safe 4-5pt winning margin in them over this nice, strong Kilmurry side that (based on the semi - the only time I saw them) seems to rely on 3 key and skillful players.  Anybody what odds would I get on a 4 pt St Galls win in Dublin (no point bettin on them in Belfast)?

longrunsthefox

Quote from: saffron sam2 on March 01, 2010, 08:47:11 PM

Tyrone '95?

Antrim '89   ;)

Zapatista

glens abu

Great win for St.Galls a first class team just hope they can now finish the job on the 17th and make all of Antrim very proud

longrunsthefox

seafoid

I wonder where AIB get the money to sponsor the tournament.