Next First Minister in the north?

Started by Ulick, January 08, 2010, 12:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

With Robinson on the way out, who do you think will be the next First Minister of the failed political entity in the north?

Sammy Wilson (being seriously touted by Henry McDonald)
Arlene Foster (Eammon Mallie's punt)
Jeffrey Donaldson (the housewives favourite but maybe too far a leap for Jim Molyneaux's boy)
Nigel Deputy Dodds (the Party favourite, but the Cambridge man would rather be knocking about Westminster)
Martin McGuinness (the butcher's boy has had a meteoric rise and if it goes to an election it could be him)
No one as it's all going to collapse

Ulick

It's all changing rapidly but Peter is definitely toast unless Marty throws him a lifeline. If he doesn't who's next in the hot-seat?

orangeman

Who has the least skeletons ?

Mc Guiness IMO will never be allowed to do it.

delboy

Well its going to be someone from the biggest party at the moment thats the DUP if there was a big swing to the UUP or TUV from the DUP i suppose it possible that SF could be the biggest single party and then most likely it'll be marty as No 1.

ziggysego

Quote from: delboy on January 08, 2010, 03:45:44 PM
Well its going to be someone from the biggest party at the moment thats the DUP if there was a big swing to the UUP or TUV from the DUP i suppose it possible that SF could be the biggest single party and then most likely it'll be marty as No 1.

I think Ulick means regarding the fallout from Robinsongate, not the next Assembly Election.

Anyway, you're point stand, it can't be Martin McGuinness.
Testing Accessibility

Ulick

Well I just meant over the next few weeks Ziggy. Things could go either way, the Punt is replaced from within, or SF collapse the current arrangement at their next Ard Chomhairle meeting and then it will be elections.

ziggysego

Quote from: Ulick on January 08, 2010, 03:58:23 PM
Well I just meant over the next few weeks Ziggy. Things could go either way, the Punt is replaced from within, or SF collapse the current arrangement at their next Ard Chomhairle meeting and then it will be elections.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying you're saying  :D
Testing Accessibility

inisceithleann

I've a feeling Arlene Foster could get the job if Peter Robinson goes. She seems to be pretty good at her job even if she doesn't always come across the best on the TV. Please God don't let Sammy Wilson get it though!
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

longrunsthefox

gerry

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Bensars

Barry mightn't have the time away from his commitments with radio ulster.

gerry

fat boy can always be sure of him for a soundbite
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

saffron sam2

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Minder

Quote from: tyrone86 on January 08, 2010, 11:04:53 PM
It'll be Dodds. Sammy's running about in the buff - 15 years ago or not - means he won't get it. Arlene and Wee Jeff can be ruled out as ex-UUPers. Even ignoring that, you have to take into account the speculation about Jeffery and the fact that Arlene is a woman is unlikely to endear her to the average DUPer.

The only possible dark horse I could see would be Gregory, and how much fun would we have then?

It's not as if Sammy was ostracised though due to running about in the nip & 15 years is an eternity in politics. He is the current finance minister, arguably the "biggest gig" in Stormont, outside the OFDFM of course.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ardmhachaabu

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Ulick

I didn't put Campbell in because he is so obviously dim - the Dupers couldn't possibly go for someone so stupid, could they?

Surprised to see Dodds the front runner. From what I know of him, he isn't interested in slumming it with the Irish donkeys at Stormont (not to mention a total liability of a wife - and we know where that gets you!)