Ahern's biography earnings granted tax-free status

Started by Celt_Man, January 06, 2010, 04:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celt_Man

Surely this is a joke?? 

THE REVENUE Commissioners have granted former taoiseach Bertie Ahern tax-free status under the artists' exemption scheme for earnings from his autobiography.

He is among 69 new additions to the list of tax-free artists including 33 writers, 18 painters, five playwrights and scriptwriters, three musicians, three installation artists, three photographers, two sculptors and one illustrator.

The perk is granted to a work that is "original and creative" and is "generally recognised as having cultural or artistic merit".

Mr Ahern is believed to have received a substantial advance from publisher Random House, which describes the book as "frank and revealing" and giving the "truth behind the man who is Bertie" for the first time.

Mr Ahern joins his daughter Cecelia Ahern on the exemption list. The success of her books since she first published PS, I Love You at the age of just 21 has made her one of the country's wealthiest writers.

In 2008 her first play Mrs Whippy premiered at the Liberty Hall Theatre and she is a co-creator of the comedy sitcom Samantha Who? starring Christina Applegate.

Others getting the perk are Cork hurler Donal Óg Cusack for Come What May ; Kilkenny hurling manager Brian Cody for his autobiography; Frank Lahiffe for Séamus Brennan: A Life in Government ; RTÉ newsreader Michael Murphy for At Five in the Afternoon: My Battle with Male Cancer ; and publisher John Mulcahy for his first novel, Union .

Up until 2006 the scheme was unique in the world for allowing artists to keep every cent of their earnings, though they did pay PRSI. An earnings cap of €250,000 was introduced in 2006 and last December's budget reduced the cap to €125,000.

The identities of recipients of the tax break remained secret until 2002, when it was decided to name those who had applied for the exemption from 1998 onwards. International stars such as U2, Westlife and the Corrs, singers Enya and Chris de Burgh, and best-selling authors have not been named as recipients, even though they are believed to have used the scheme prior to 1998.

Before the scheme was capped one mystery artist – thought to be one of the country's super-rich rock stars – earned €10 million in a year under the scheme without paying any tax.

So Bertie is an "artist" now...  and won't have to pay taxes on his biography sales, that's not very patrontic of him is it?   :P

You couldn't make this stuff up
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Shamrock Shore

boojangles

Celt_Man

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on January 06, 2010, 04:18:11 PM
Works of fiction generally qualify!

Not at all, I really believe him when he said he didn't have a bank account when he was Minister of Finance....  :D :D :D

boojangles

Only in Ireland.
But in his defence- if I ever come to earn close to the money good old Bertie earned/earns I'l not be slow in telling the Tax man that some of it came from Paddy Power.

Declan

What's the betting the powers that be say he hasn't done anything illegal and therefore there's nothing to talk about here - move on

There was a time a committee reviewed all applications for this but its another exemption that has been abused and should be scrapped or reinvented for worthy applicants

Celt_Man

Quote from: boojangles on January 06, 2010, 04:28:15 PM
Only in Ireland.
But in his defence- if I ever come to earn close to the money good old Bertie earned/earns I'l not be slow in telling the Tax man that some of it came from Paddy Power.

As will I... the Ultimate Cover all excuse and Get out of Jail Card!!

magpie seanie

This is a disgrace. How can a book about your own life be considered artistic. Even if it is its highly immoral to apply for artists exemption but morality never figured in this man's thought processes much did it? I'm disgusted.

Minder

I rember reading somewhere that Charlie Haughey said Wee Bertie was one of the most conniving and dishonest ministers he had come across. Some indictment that especially coming from Haughey.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Celt_Man

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 06, 2010, 04:35:19 PM
This is a disgrace. How can a book about your own life be considered artistic. Even if it is its highly immoral to apply for artists exemption but morality never figured in this man's thought processes much did it? I'm disgusted.

But you shouldn't be surprised....

boojangles

Quote from: Celt_Man on January 06, 2010, 04:33:49 PM
Quote from: boojangles on January 06, 2010, 04:28:15 PM
Only in Ireland.

As will I... the Ultimate Cover all excuse and Get out of Jail Card!!

It would make a glorious and welcome change being able to say I took money from a bookies instead of them taking it off me :'( :'(

As regards being disgusted-well nothing FF is involved in suprises me anymore so Im afraid its head in the clouds attitude for me.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Celt_Man on January 06, 2010, 04:36:50 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 06, 2010, 04:35:19 PM

But you shouldn't be surprised....

No - not surprised at anything to do with that man and those who surround him. Best stop now as even though anythnig I'd say about him would be true, he'd win the case in court.

leenie

Quote from: Celt_Man on January 06, 2010, 04:14:27 PM
Surely this is a joke?? 

THE REVENUE Commissioners have granted former taoiseach Bertie Ahern tax-free status under the CON artists' exemption scheme for earnings from his autobiography.

He is among 69 new additions to the list of tax-free artists including 33 writers, 18 painters, five playwrights and scriptwriters, three musicians, three installation artists, three photographers, two sculptors and one illustrator.

The perk is granted to a work that is "original and creative" and is "generally recognised as having cultural or artistic merit".

Mr Ahern is believed to have received a substantial advance from publisher Random House, which describes the book as "frank and revealing" and giving the "truth behind the man who is Bertie" for the first time.

Mr Ahern joins his daughter Cecelia Ahern on the exemption list. The success of her books since she first published PS, I Love You at the age of just 21 has made her one of the country's wealthiest writers.

In 2008 her first play Mrs Whippy premiered at the Liberty Hall Theatre and she is a co-creator of the comedy sitcom Samantha Who? starring Christina Applegate.

Others getting the perk are Cork hurler Donal Óg Cusack for Come What May ; Kilkenny hurling manager Brian Cody for his autobiography; Frank Lahiffe for Séamus Brennan: A Life in Government ; RTÉ newsreader Michael Murphy for At Five in the Afternoon: My Battle with Male Cancer ; and publisher John Mulcahy for his first novel, Union .

Up until 2006 the scheme was unique in the world for allowing artists to keep every cent of their earnings, though they did pay PRSI. An earnings cap of €250,000 was introduced in 2006 and last December's budget reduced the cap to €125,000.

The identities of recipients of the tax break remained secret until 2002, when it was decided to name those who had applied for the exemption from 1998 onwards. International stars such as U2, Westlife and the Corrs, singers Enya and Chris de Burgh, and best-selling authors have not been named as recipients, even though they are believed to have used the scheme prior to 1998.

Before the scheme was capped one mystery artist – thought to be one of the country's super-rich rock stars – earned €10 million in a year under the scheme without paying any tax.

So Bertie is an "artist" now...  and won't have to pay taxes on his biography sales, that's not very patrontic of him is it?   :P

corrected
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Celt_Man

Quote from: leenie on January 06, 2010, 04:41:18 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on January 06, 2010, 04:14:27 PM
Surely this is a joke?? 

THE REVENUE Commissioners have granted former taoiseach Bertie Ahern tax-free status under the CON artists' exemption scheme for earnings from his autobiography.

corrected

;D ;D Very good Leenie - it's starting to make more sense now  :P

Hardy

Funny thing is, he didn't even write the book - I understand it was ghost written. How can it make sense for me to subcontract a work of "art" to a third party and then pick up a tax exemption for being an artist?