Mr & Mrs Robinson

Started by Orior, January 06, 2010, 09:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barelegs

I just picked up the Phoenix this evening (for those of you who don't know, its a Dublin based politics magazine along the same lines as Private Eye). The jist of the story on the Robinsons they had received or had interpreted was that MI5 may have had some role in bringing about the disclosure, or at the very least would have known about Iris and her antics.

More interestingly from a verification of the PM angle it included the following statements,

QuoteMI5 would have logged in their Registry, details of her drives around London in her MG sports car with a fun-loving DUP politician.

Now it has not been explicit but there is almost an insinuation there that something ontoward happened in the sports car in London. They've said enough to keep themselves out of court I'd imagine.

muppet

Quote from: barelegs on January 28, 2010, 05:41:43 PM
I just picked up the Phoenix this evening (for those of you who don't know, its a Dublin based politics magazine along the same lines as Private Eye). The jist of the story on the Robinsons they had received or had interpreted was that MI5 may have had some role in bringing about the disclosure, or at the very least would have known about Iris and her antics.

More interestingly from a verification of the PM angle it included the following statements,

QuoteMI5 would have logged in their Registry, details of her drives around London in her MG sports car with a fun-loving DUP politician.

Now it has not been explicit but there is almost an insinuation there that something ontoward happened in the sports car in London. They've said enough to keep themselves out of court I'd imagine.

A fun-loving DUP politican?

What next a Break Dancing Pope?

MWWSI 2017

give her dixie

Maybe I havn't spotted them at Hillsborough, but has anyone else seen Jeffrey or Willy at the talks?
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

omagh_gael

Quote from: give her dixie on January 28, 2010, 05:59:21 PM
Maybe I havn't spotted them at Hillsborough, but has anyone else seen Jeffrey or Willy at the talks?

They have kept a very low profile...perhaps shacked up in Soho doing some work in Westminster  :P

Rosie McCann

Peter Robinson has reinstalled himself as first Minister on the basis of a barrister's opinion that he did not breach any code of conduct or any of the seven principles of public life. The first principle of public life is:

Selflessness - Holders of public office should take decisions solely in terms of the public interest.
They should not do so in order to gain financial or other material benefits for themselves, their family, or their friends

Did Iris not benefit to the tune of £5000 by way of a backhander? As his wife she becomes a member of his family, maybe I'm misinterpreting the 1st principle?   

A Quinn Martin Production

I note that the Legg Report is published today and Iris Robinson was asked to repay £545 against a claim for...a bed.  You couldn't make it up :D:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200910/cmselect/cmmemest/348/348.pdf  (p122)
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

whiskeysteve

I mind a close relative referring to him as 'Orange Mike' back in the 90's when he didn't like what he perceived to be soft questions asked of British politicians during his interviews  :D.

Anyway nice bit of opportunism filling the void left by Iris.

AND A GOOD EXCUSE TO KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE!

Nesbitt is UUP election candidate

Former television presenter Mike Nesbitt has been selected as a general election candidate for the Ulster Unionist Party (UUP) in Strangford.

Mr Nesbitt resigned as one of Northern Ireland's Victims' Commissioners on Wednesday.

"I had one motivation as a Victims Commissioner," Mr Nesbitt said.

"That motivation stays with me in seeking to become an MP and that is to make a positive difference in the day to day lives of people."

He added: "I believe that I now have the full range of skills that I didn't have before I joined the commission and what was missing was a knowledge of public service."

Mr Nesbitt will have to go before a joint committee of the UUP and Conservatives, who are in an electoral alliance, for his candidacy to be finalised.

Strangford was held at the last general election by Iris Robinson of the DUP.

Mrs Robinson stepped down from politics in December following a BBC Spotlight programme which investigated her business dealings with her lover.

Mr Nesbitt is a former UTV presenter.

On the subject of the NI Assembly, Mr Nesbitt said: "There's a lot about the devolved administration which is good, but there's also dysfunctionality.

"It's time to take the stabilisers off the bike and pedal it under our own power and not have prime ministers and taoiseach up from Dublin to put their hand on the back to make sure we don't wobble."

He said he could understand if some long-term party activists in Strangford resented his candidacy, but said he would talk to them to convince them he was doing it for them, not for himself.

Votes

At the 2005 Westminster election the DUP had 56% of the vote in Strangford with the Ulster Unionists a distant second on 21%. There was a similar voting pattern in the 2007 Stormont election.

The Victims Commission congratulated Mr Nesbitt on his selection.

"Michael has been steadfast and committed to the work of this Commission since its inception, and his contribution will be missed by his colleagues," it said.

Sinn Fein's Francie Molloy said Mr Nesbitt should have resigned before he was selected.

"Clearly Mr Nesbitt knew what his intentions were having had his name in for the candidacy with the UUP," he said.

"His position, as one of the four Victims' Commissioners, needed to be totally separate from any party political affiliation."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8519542.stm
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Maguire01

Quote from: whiskeysteve on February 17, 2010, 05:36:04 PM
I mind a close relative referring to him as 'Orange Mike' back in the 90's when he didn't like what he perceived to be soft questions asked of British politicians during his interviews  :D.
Funnily enough I read comments elsewhere about how he used to have no problems giving Unionist politicians a hard time. Not that I had been looking for it in particular, but I never noticed any bias in his interviewing.

Anyway, i'd imagine he's a good bet to take the seat from the DUP, which will be no harm. He'll probably steal some Alliance votes and a few tactically voting nationalists.

Although a few months after being elected, he might get frustrated about not being able to influence UUP policy and head back to broadcasting.  :P

Denn Forever

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 17, 2010, 07:20:39 PM

Although a few months after being elected, he might get frustrated about not being able to influence UUP policy and head back to broadcasting.  :P

Cynic.
;D
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

stew

Has the virus been seen around the north of late???

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Ulick

Quote from: whiskeysteve on February 17, 2010, 05:36:04 PM

I always throught that was because he has a face like a brown trout.

Bensars

Iris back in the news.

Newspaper reports on Iris Robinson 'pure fantasy'- DUP 

Iris Robinson is still under suicide watch, says the DUP
Comments made about Iris Robinson in some Sunday newspapers are "ruthless lies", the DUP has said.

In a statement on Sunday night, the party said Mrs Robinson remained in hospital under 24-hour suicide watch.

The party condemned stories in some of that day's newspapers as "complete fabrication" and "pure fantasy".

Police searched Castlereagh Borough Council offices on Saturday as part of their inquiry into accusations made about Mrs Robinson's financial affairs.

A statement released by the council said the visit was arranged with them beforehand.

"All relevant personnel were aware of the visit and co-operated fully and transparently as has been the case from the start of the investigation," the statement said.

"Any records removed were computer records and this required IT personnel working in conjunction with the police IT personnel.

"There was absolutely nothing sinister in this visit whatsoever."

BBC Spotlight reported that Mrs Robinson - wife of Northern Ireland First Minister and DUP leader Peter Robinson - obtained £50,000 from two developers to help her teenage lover open a cafe business.

She then attended the council meeting during which the cafe lease was awarded to Kirk McCambley but allegedly broke the law by not declaring her financial interest.

The PSNI organised crime branch is carrying out an investigation.

In Sunday night's statement released by party press officer John Robinson, the party claimed Mrs Robinson had been the target of "relentless smear and invention".

Official inquiries into Peter Robinson's conduct are still under way 
The party said legal action would be taken.

It refuted the suggestion that Mrs Robinson was planning "a Tiger Woods-style public relations offensive as she gears up to a return to public life".

"The truth is that Iris remains in hospital under acute psychiatric care and under 24-hour suicide watch as a result of the unremitting and ruthless lies and attacks against her," the statement said.

It added that she had paid a "high price" for her "one indiscretion" and accused some of "a clear attempt to pursue her to the grave and destroy the lives of all her family".

Mrs Robinson resigned as an MP, assembly member and councillor following the Spotlight programme.

A special meeting of Castlereagh Council will take place later on Monday to discuss a replacement for her seat.

maddog

Quote from: Bensars on February 22, 2010, 12:25:46 PM
Iris back in the news.

Newspaper reports on Iris Robinson 'pure fantasy'- DUP 

Iris Robinson is still under suicide watch, says the DUP
Comments made about Iris Robinson in some Sunday newspapers are "ruthless lies", the DUP has said.

In a statement on Sunday night, the party said Mrs Robinson remained in hospital under 24-hour suicide watch.

The party condemned stories in some of that day's newspapers as "complete fabrication" and "pure fantasy".

Police searched Castlereagh Borough Council offices on Saturday as part of their inquiry into accusations made about Mrs Robinson's financial affairs.

A statement released by the council said the visit was arranged with them beforehand.

"All relevant personnel were aware of the visit and co-operated fully and transparently as has been the case from the start of the investigation," the statement said.

"Any records removed were computer records and this required IT personnel working in conjunction with the police IT personnel.

"There was absolutely nothing sinister in this visit whatsoever."

BBC Spotlight reported that Mrs Robinson - wife of Northern Ireland First Minister and DUP leader Peter Robinson - obtained £50,000 from two developers to help her teenage lover open a cafe business.

She then attended the council meeting during which the cafe lease was awarded to Kirk McCambley but allegedly broke the law by not declaring her financial interest.

The PSNI organised crime branch is carrying out an investigation.

In Sunday night's statement released by party press officer John Robinson, the party claimed Mrs Robinson had been the target of "relentless smear and invention".

Official inquiries into Peter Robinson's conduct are still under way 
The party said legal action would be taken.

It refuted the suggestion that Mrs Robinson was planning "a Tiger Woods-style public relations offensive as she gears up to a return to public life".

"The truth is that Iris remains in hospital under acute psychiatric care and under 24-hour suicide watch as a result of the unremitting and ruthless lies and attacks against her," the statement said.

It added that she had paid a "high price" for her "one indiscretion" and accused some of "a clear attempt to pursue her to the grave and destroy the lives of all her family".

Mrs Robinson resigned as an MP, assembly member and councillor following the Spotlight programme.

A special meeting of Castlereagh Council will take place later on Monday to discuss a replacement for her seat.

"One indiscretion" ;D

Ulick

Looks like Seany's PM has scored a hat-trick. It seems your man, the psychiatrist, who can 'cure' people of homosexuality is gay himself:

http://www.queerty.com/iris-robinsons-lovely-psychiatrist-tried-curing-patrick-strudwick-of-the-gay-now-he-must-explain-himself-20100225/