2010 BDO World Darts.

Started by upmonaghansayswe, January 04, 2010, 04:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: Syferus on January 06, 2014, 12:29:33 AM
Quote from: Sidney on January 06, 2014, 12:02:25 AM
A great tournament where the real darts fans gather at the home of darts to watch in a friendly, convivial atmosphere, thankfully far removed from the drunken Oi Oi Oi brigade of the pdc (pathetic, drunk crowd).

Lakeside is always one of the sporting highlights of the year.

BDO = Best Darts Organisation.

It always makes for vaguely depressing viewing for me. Sky nailed darts. Darts can be very easily boring and by going over the top they hit on the forumla that works in pro wrestling, boxing and MMA. It's a show because it needs to be.

The BDO almost murdered darts as a spectator sport.

This was your first mistake!  ;)

Cold tea

Quote from: Syferus on January 05, 2014, 11:39:52 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on January 05, 2014, 11:37:33 PM
Robbie Green (4th seed) looked deadly there, 9/1 with Bet365 to win outright, think i'll have a bit of that (scud alert).

To be fair Boy George wasn't up to much.

I honestly believe I could have beat him, and 90% of pub darts players probably could have as well says it all for a so called world championship.

Sidney

Quote from: NAG1 on January 06, 2014, 11:55:15 AM

This was your first mistake!  ;)
As the great Martin Adams, England captain for 20 years, says, the BDO "is the sport".

The pdc is a WWE-style pantomime.

Sidney

Quote from: Cold tea on January 06, 2014, 11:58:25 AM
Robbie Green (4th seed) looked deadly there, 9/1 with Bet365 to win outright, think i'll have a bit of that (scud alert).

I honestly believe I could have beat him, and 90% of pub darts players probably could have as well says it all for a so called world championship.

Kong isn't the world three dart average record holder for nothing.

Richie had a bad day but as last year's World Champion Scott Waites said after his first round defeat, darts is all on the day and Richie wasn't the first and won't be the last player to falter under the pressure on that famous Lakeside stage.

He's a class player though with a great darting pedigree, and he'll be back.

Cold tea

Quote from: Sidney on January 06, 2014, 12:44:34 PM
Quote from: Cold tea on January 06, 2014, 11:58:25 AM

Kong isn't the world three dart average record holder for nothing.

Richie had a bad day but as last year's World Champion Scott Waites said after his first round defeat, darts is all on the day and Richie wasn't the first and won't be the last player to falter under the pressure on that famous Lakeside stage.

He's a class player though with a great darting pedigree, and he'll be back.

Can't wait - some of the 37's he was hitting were top drawer!!!

Cold tea

Surely all sports / games are on the day - is darts an exceptional game?

Sidney

Quote from: Cold tea on January 06, 2014, 01:32:49 PM
Darts, and particularly Lakeside, certainly carries more of an "on the day" element than other sports.

The eyes of the world are on every player, picking up their body language. An opponent can smell any weakness. It's a battle of will and character as much as skill.

The pressure of the Lakeside stage can humble even the very best. Scott Waites, the defending World Champion, certainly knows this.

Martin Adams, England captain for 20 years, took over a decade to learn how to deal with his nerves on that stage.

Lakeside is like Wembley, Wimbledon, and the Crucible all rolled into one.

Syferus

Quote from: Sidney on January 06, 2014, 05:22:28 PM
Darts, and particularly Lakeside, certainly carries more of an "on the day" element than other sports.

The eyes of the world are on every player, picking up their body language. An opponent can smell any weakness. It's a battle of will and character as much as skill.

The pressure of the Lakeside stage can humble even the very best. Scott Waites, the defending World Champion, certainly knows this.

Martin Adams, England captain for 20 years, took over a decade to learn how to deal with his nerves on that stage.

Also terrified of the PDC. Don't forget that part.

To call the BDO champion a world champion at this stage is stretching reality a little thin.

Sidney

Quote from: Syferus on January 06, 2014, 05:37:47 PM

Also terrified of the PDC. Don't forget that part.

To call the BDO champion a world champion at this stage is stretching reality a little thin.
Martin Adams defeated Adrian Lewis at the Circus Tavern in 2011 in the "Battle of the Champions".

That's only as you'd expect, though.

Cold tea

Quote from: Sidney on January 06, 2014, 05:22:28 PM

You must be taking the piss.

Sidney

Quote from: Cold tea on January 06, 2014, 05:54:46 PM

You must be taking the piss.
The only time taking the piss happens at Lakeside is when the players go to the bathroom during the interval of the final.

Cold tea

At least the supporters get to drink a few pints during the matches, ffs they are getting out in 24 darts in many cases.

Sidney

Absolutely gutted for Michael Meaney but a tremendously brave effort from the young Kilkenny man as he was edged out 3-2 by Scotland's World Cup-winning captain Ross "The Boss" Montgomery.

I've no doubt that with a bit more experience he can come back and make a real push for the title over the coming years.

Armaghgael

Followed you and done him at 8s
If in doubt.......take man and ball!

Sidney

Rick Hofstra can be got at anywhere between 50 and 80/1.

Given his average of over 90 in his first round win over Remco van Eijden, that' represents excellent value.

Dutch darts is very strong and young players from there have a habit of coming out of nowhere to win the world title - Jelle Klaasen and Christian Kist for instance.