Roper retires

Started by longrunsthefox, December 29, 2009, 09:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

Donegal's Brian Roper hangs up his boots

A hateful niggly wee bollox if your on the other team but the type of player I would want on my club or county side. Good luck to him.

Brian Roper has announced his retirement from the Donegal colours after 159 appearances for the men from the north-west.
An Ulster U21FC winner in 1995, Roper has been one of the county's most dedicated players for over a decade.
He featured in the county's Ulster final loss to Derry in 1998 and finally landed national honours when Donegal claimed the 2007 NFL Division 1 title.
He was a regular feature in the side that reached an All-Ireland quarter-final against Cork earlier this year but at 35 years of age has decided to call time on his intercounty career.

orangeman

Some servant to Donegal - as hard as nails - gave it all for Donegal and owes them nothing.

mylestheslasher

Type of player every team needs - best of luck to him.

Hoof Hearted

unreal that after 159 games all he has is an NFL Medal. Many's a man has more after a helluva lot less.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

moysider

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on December 30, 2009, 12:16:56 AM
unreal that after 159 games all he has is an NFL Medal. Many's a man has more after a helluva lot less.

That s the way it goes unfortunately. I dont understand some peoples problem with Roper. In a game that has become preoccupied with size and gym he has been one of a few small lads that still show that there is a place for awareness and heart. If he was narky it was he had to be to compete at that level. Fair play to him. 

J70

He could cause you to tear your hair out now and again ( e.g. last minute miss from the 14 yard line, straight in front of goals, that would have beaten Fermanagh in the '04 qualifiers - the game were Devenney got the line and six months for pushing Joe McQuillan), but you could always count on Roper to give his all. He was never afraid to go in where in hurts, gathering the breaks against far bigger opponents and never backing down. If only half the Donegal players over the past 13 years had his commitment and attitude, he might have a couple more medals in his collection.

Main Street

He is/was a formidable, fearless and talented opponent, one who at least would gain grudging respect.

lynchbhoy

a great little player who has goten better in the past few years with exp. A hardy wee fecker and in one of my last club games (tournament), I tried to mark the wee fecker but couldnt even catch him to hit him.
Great servant to Donegal and I wish him well !

J70

Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 30, 2009, 01:40:29 PM
a great little player who has goten better in the past few years with exp. A hardy wee fecker and in one of my last club games (tournament), I tried to mark the wee fecker but couldnt even catch him to hit him.

I remember an interview he gave years back, and he said that the biggest difference between playing club and county wasn't necessarily fitness or skill, but speed of thought - basically you'd much less time at county level to decide what you were going to do and by the time you got the ball, you had to be ready to make your next move or you'd lose the ball/get hit instantly. You had to be able to collect the ball/evade a tackle and consider your options all at the same time.

playwiththewind1st

He wasn't far wrong - the average club player is already thinking of the next drink in the clubhouse - even before he receives the ball.

Main Street

Quote from: J70 on December 30, 2009, 02:32:44 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 30, 2009, 01:40:29 PM

I remember an interview he gave years back, and he said that the biggest difference between playing club and county wasn't necessarily fitness or skill, but speed of thought - basically you'd much less time at county level to decide what you were going to do and by the time you got the ball, you had to be ready to make your next move or you'd lose the ball/get hit instantly. You had to be able to collect the ball/evade a tackle and consider your options all at the same time.
I'm sure he had to draw on all his experience gained from the highest level in order to show Lynchbhoy a clean pair of heels.

thewanderer

Quote from: Main Street on December 30, 2009, 12:13:30 PM
He is/was a formidable, fearless and talented opponent, one who at least would gain grudging respect.
I remember the only man that could do a marking job on him from armagh was Kerian Hughes. Some tussles they had, with hughesy throwing him around and roper givin the odd dig. good luck to him in his retirement.

Orior

Fair play to Roper, and I hope he enjoys his retirement. He would have had a few more medals if it werent for Armagh.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Main Street

He would have had a few more medals if he were from Armagh.

imtommygunn

He was a ballsy wee man. Didn't matter who the opponent was.

Great servant to Donegal and they'll be a lot worse of for him having left. If some of the current panel put in half the effort he did Donegal would be a much better team for it.

I did say some.