Question for you New York Ciity residents

Started by Oraisteach, December 29, 2009, 09:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oraisteach

My son may be moving to the Big Apple.  Any suggestions for good areas to live in the Bronx/Yonkers area.  e.g. Irish community--GAA clubs, pubs, restaurants, proximity to freeway and subway, etc.  Any areas to avoid like the plague.  How tough is street parking.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hurler on the Bitch

Anywhere off McLean Avenue in Yonkers .. that's where the Bronx of 20 years ago has moved.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Oraisteach on December 29, 2009, 09:29:21 PM
My son may be moving to the Big Apple.  Any suggestions for good areas to live in the Bronx/Yonkers area.  e.g. Irish community--GAA clubs, pubs, restaurants, proximity to freeway and subway, etc.  Any areas to avoid like the plague.  How tough is street parking.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

You've a son  :o
#newbridgeornowhere

Lady GAA GAA

can you make this the official 'plastics living in the americas' thread pls so we dont have to listen to them mention it at every opportunity

ta muchly xx

J70

The following link has the subways superimposed on Google Maps for NYC - only a little of Yonkers is featured though as the subways don't extend into it. Metro-North is the best bet for getting into the city from Yonkers - it goes down along the Hudson.

http://www.onnyturf.com/subway/

The Watcher Pat

The bus takes you directly from Yonkers along Ketonah Ave to the last station on the 4 sub.
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

johnneycool

Quote from: The Watcher Pat on December 30, 2009, 02:52:50 PM
The bus takes you directly from Yonkers along Ketonah Ave to the last station on the 4 sub.

its a good walk from the Woodlawn stop on 4 to Katonah and MaClean avenue's

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Lady GAA GAA on December 29, 2009, 09:54:35 PM
can you make this the official 'plastics living in the americas' thread pls so we dont have to listen to them mention it at every opportunity

ta muchly xx

I'd love to help you Oraisteach - but I don't live in New York - I live in Canada though. Have I mentioned that before?

Carmen Stateside

I live just off McLean, as was said before the bus takes you to the local subway then from there you can go anywhere in the New York area.
McLean, Katonah is were most of the Irish in NY are based, with a few also still in Queens.  Gaa clubs can all be mostly found in this area also.
Has your son got any pals already here? If so it would be a big help for him, as he could hang with them till he gets sorted.
Parking not a big problem around here but as most work will be in Manhattan cars are very rarely used during the week.  Parking in manhattan will cost you an arm and a leg as does anything there at the minute!

magickingdom

Quote from: Oraisteach on December 29, 2009, 09:29:21 PM

any particular reason why the bronx? a lot of irish live in queens with great access to midtown, which if your looking for work is great. plenty pubs there in the woodside/sunnyside areas

Oraisteach

If he gets the job, his work will take him north of the city--Westchester, Orange, Ulster (sounds like home, doesn't it?), and I think the company would not want him traveling far.

new devil

Yeah if he going to be working there..bronx/yonkers would be best place for him Oraisteach...pm me if you need any help

Family guy

New Devil you were spotted in chicago is this true???????????/

new devil

Family Guy you were spotted in Queens..is that true?  ;)

Oraisteach

My son did in fact get the job, so from the Bramley apple to the Big Apple.  He'll probably be moving in about a month, I'd say.

Thanks to all who have responded to me, both on the board and by e-mail.