Cardinal Daly RIP

Started by Gaffer, December 28, 2009, 05:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerrykeegan

[
. A charming intelligent man who seemed to understand the life of a boarder in Mels in the early 80s (for the record there was nothing that ever happened that would merit an inquiry....priests in Mels were tough but decent and there was no, you know, stuff)

I have only fond memories of Cathal B.

RIP
[/quote]

SS Can you be sure there was no "stuff" going on. I was in boarding school at the same time, I never heard of any stuff going on, but years later I remember things happened that seem odd to be now. One of the younger priests never allowed me into his room unless he stepped outside in the hall first.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Hurler on the Bitch

I do recall after the RUC forced the Orange march down the Garvaghy Road in 1996, he gave it both barrels on live TV and literally didn't miss Mo Mowlam, the RUC or the Unionists. Respected him big-time after that ..

Rufus T Firefly

May He Rest In Peace.

Curiosity only, but might there be a be big day comg up up for the City?

Shamrock Shore

Gerry

Of course I cannot speak for everyone but I was there and so were on avg 140 or so boarders each year in my time and I am sure if one of the many boarders that I knew between 79 and 84 had a complaint we would have heard it by now.

All priests that were there in my time are either dead or well respected in their parishes.

The only odd thing was the communal showering in swimming trunks but I always felt this was to stop slagging if one lad was, eh, less developed, than others.

Hardy

They used to make me wear dungarees.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Orior

There was definitely funny goings on in Violet Hill Boarding College, but enough of that.

Does anyone else think the Catholic hierarchy could have done more during the Holy Cross affair? Maybe Daly and co. didnt want to get involved, but at the very least they could have enouraged the Protestant clergy to take a stronger stand.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Orior on January 02, 2010, 04:12:29 PM
There was definitely funny goings on in Violet Hill Boarding College, but enough of that.

Does anyone else think the Catholic hierarchy could have done more during the Holy Cross affair? Maybe Daly and co. didnt want to get involved, but at the very least they could have enouraged the Protestant clergy to take a stronger stand.
Why do you say that Orior? 
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Maguire01

I see there's a bit of a storm brewing over Peter Robinson's failure to issue a statement...

T Fearon

Robinson and the Dup saying nothing is actually to be commended. Remember how the Free Ps mocked the death of Cardinal O'Fiaich in Lourdes and asked where the miracle to save him was? Bastards >:(

Fear Boirche

Despite it being late, I think Peter Robinson's statement was a lot more generous and dignified than Martin McGuinness's "We didn't like him, but he was a nice man"-style platitude.

T Fearon

In a proper civilised society our esteemed Joint First Minister (Mr Robinson) would bee chief among the mourners at the funeral. Can anyone see this happening?

Orior

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on January 02, 2010, 06:42:50 PM

Both sets of clergy stood back for fear of alienating their flock. I'm particluarly annoyed at Dunlop on the P side, rather tahn Daly on the RC side. I actually met Dunlop a few times and found him extremely false, and basically selfish.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

saffron sam2

De mortuis nil nisi bonum.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Orior on January 04, 2010, 09:44:00 PM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on January 02, 2010, 06:42:50 PM

Both sets of clergy stood back for fear of alienating their flock. I'm particluarly annoyed at Dunlop on the P side, rather tahn Daly on the RC side. I actually met Dunlop a few times and found him extremely false, and basically selfish.
I don't think any clergy could have helped that particular dispute, I know Fr Troy did his best under the circumstances.  The issue arose as a direct result of a Provo from Ardoyne knocking a Loyalist off a ladder when he was putting up flags as the Provo went home from Holy Cross after dropping his sprog off to the school

The stuff that the Loyalists got up to was disgusting, and as far as I know unprecedented, that shouldn't let the Provo off the hook for starting the protest to begin with

Apologies for being off-topic
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something