Brian Lenihan diagnosed with cancer

Started by RMDrive, December 26, 2009, 06:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Brian Lenihan had the right to tell us for himself that he had cancer, or not to if that was his decision. The only time we needed to know, was if it where to affect his judgement in the running of the finances of this country, and it seems clear that this was not the case. This really was inappropriate reporting by TV3. I think TV3 have shot themselves in the foot, most people in the country are angry at the way they handled this case.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: muppet on December 28, 2009, 05:19:16 PM
He is entitled to chose when or if it is reported, not some career climbing hack.

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 28, 2009, 05:43:05 PM
Brian Lenihan had the right to tell us for himself that he had cancer, or not to if that was his decision.

I absolutely agree that it's up to Brian Lenihan when to tell the nation this news, and to say that I'm "the only one on this forum who thinks a man hasn't got the right to decide when he informs others about his cancer" is a cheap shot and unworthy of you Muppet.

I've given what I think are reasonable arguments as to why I think this whole story was done with his, or the Government's, consent. I've only done this because I don't think it's fair to abuse a journalist when I don't think she's done anything wrong. I am concerned more here with questions about Ursula Halligan's professionalism than anything else.

Again, if the Government comes out and says for the record that this was out of order for TV3, fine, I take back everything I said absolutely and without question. But they haven't said that at all, which one of the reasons why I think they're behind releasing the information this way (and because some punters on politics.ie think so too, btw). If you fellas want to discuss why you think this was done against Brian Lenihan's wishes, please make your case and we can discuss it further. Or if you don't want to discuss it and prefer to abuse Ursula Halligan, then that's your right too.

muppet

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on December 28, 2009, 05:57:10 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 28, 2009, 05:19:16 PM
He is entitled to chose when or if it is reported, not some career climbing hack.

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 28, 2009, 05:43:05 PM
Brian Lenihan had the right to tell us for himself that he had cancer, or not to if that was his decision.

I absolutely agree that it's up to Brian Lenihan when to tell the nation this news, and to say that I'm "the only one on this forum who thinks a man hasn't got the right to decide when he informs others about his cancer" is a cheap shot and unworthy of you Muppet.

I've given what I think are reasonable arguments as to why I think this whole story was done with his, or the Government's, consent. I've only done this because I don't think it's fair to abuse a journalist when I don't think she's done anything wrong. I am concerned more here with questions about Ursula Halligan's professionalism than anything else.

Again, if the Government comes out and says for the record that this was out of order for TV3, fine, I take back everything I said absolutely and without question. But they haven't said that at all, which one of the reasons why I think they're behind releasing the information this way (and because some punters on politics.ie think so too, btw). If you fellas want to discuss why you think this was done against Brian Lenihan's wishes, please make your case and we can discuss it further. Or if you don't want to discuss it and prefer to abuse Ursula Halligan, then that's your right too.

It is very hard to see your logic. On one hand you say Halligan has done nothing wrong & on the other you say it is ok for Brian Lenihan to decide when to announce his cancer publicly. From where I sit the reason he didn't have that opportunity is because of Halligan & TV3.

If you know differently fine but I see no evidence.
MWWSI 2017

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: muppet on December 28, 2009, 06:41:34 PM
It is very hard to see your logic. On one hand you say Halligan has done nothing wrong & on the other you say it is ok for Brian Lenihan to decide when to announce his cancer publicly. From where I sit the reason he didn't have that opportunity is because of Halligan & TV3.

I can't see how TV3 could have run with story without contacting Brian Lenihan first Muppet. He made his decision there, I think, about publicity. If he asked them to sit on it, they would have. Deals are cut all the time. The notion of TV3 issuing ultimatums is something I'd be taking with a pinch of salt.

My fundamental point in all this is that it's totally unfair and unjust to call a responsible journalist a "daft bitch" for running with this story. That's my honest opinion I'm afraid. There aren't that many really good journalists in this country, you know. To traduce one who has no record of sensationalism or gutter journalism is just awful. IMO.

muppet

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on December 28, 2009, 07:11:26 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 28, 2009, 06:41:34 PM

I can't see how TV3 could have run with story without contacting Brian Lenihan first Muppet. He made his decision there, I think, about publicity. If he asked them to sit on it, they would have. Deals are cut all the time. The notion of TV3 issuing ultimatums is something I'd be taking with a pinch of salt.

My fundamental point in all this is that it's totally unfair and unjust to call a responsible journalist a "daft bitch" for running with this story. That's my honest opinion I'm afraid. There aren't that many really good journalists in this country, you know. To traduce one who has no record of sensationalism or gutter journalism is just awful. IMO.

This is where the difference is. As far as I know Lenihan hadn't told all of his family or friends. The official Government position still is 'no comment' until he makes a statement in the New Year, so the Government still haven't officially given the nod.

You are of the opinion that he gave them go ahead. That may be true Iolar but you then have info that almost no one else seems to have. Also that doesn't seem to sit with the 'we gave him 2 days' comment from TV3. If they threatened him & then backed down agreeing to give him two days it is still a despicable way to treat a man just diagnosed with cancer.

As an aside I have an idea how stuff like this gets out and it is not through official or family sources.
MWWSI 2017

IolarCoisCuain

Do you know Muppet, I was just thinking of posting some pics of Ursula Halligan on the Hot Ladies thread over the way, just to break up the mood a bit. But I don't think many of the fellas over there are too bothered about the politics though and I'd only get into trouble again. I'm letting discretion be the better part of valour on that one.

As regards the rest of it, we'll just have to wait and see at this point. The head of news at TV3 came across as a - God forgive me! - right muppet alright, but the notion of him issuing ultimatums isn't one I can swallow. David McWilliams got bitch-slapped over what he said about Lenihan in his book a few months ago. No way TV3 are issuing ultimatums. I really don't see it.

muppet

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on December 28, 2009, 07:38:38 PM
Do you know Muppet, I was just thinking of posting some pics of Ursula Halligan on the Hot Ladies thread over the way, just to break up the mood a bit. But I don't think many of the fellas over there are too bothered about the politics though and I'd only get into trouble again. I'm letting discretion be the better part of valour on that one.

As regards the rest of it, we'll just have to wait and see at this point. The head of news at TV3 came across as a - God forgive me! - right muppet alright, but the notion of him issuing ultimatums isn't one I can swallow. David McWilliams got bitch-slapped over what he said about Lenihan in his book a few months ago. No way TV3 are issuing ultimatums. I really don't see it.

I dare you to. And you are right they won't have read this thread so they will take it as they see it. Go on, go on, go on........
MWWSI 2017

Capt Pat

The timing of the breaking of the story was poor, but it had to come out sooner or later. Just Fianna Failers looking for sympathy votes and looking to circle the wagons to rally the troops. Lenihan took the highly public and important job and will have to take all that comes with it.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Capt Pat on December 28, 2009, 08:13:51 PM
The timing of the breaking of the story was poor, but it had to come out sooner or later. Just Fianna Failers looking for sympathy votes and looking to circle the wagons to rally the troops. Lenihan took the highly public and important job and will have to take all that comes with it.

Capt Pat, I think you are off on this one. I would not have thought this was something that Brian Lenihan would do, the false tears where Bertie's trick. Even if it where a cynical trick by FF it would be very short term as people look to their own worries, and why do it now when they had nothing to gain. Now if he was on doing lines of Coke in the bathroom of the Dail we might be entitled to know, but for the love of God what business of the rest of us if he has cancer or not.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

pintsofguinness

couldnt' believe what yon c*unt in TV3 done, what sort of a c*unt is he?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Bogball XV

tv3 had to run the story, i don't think we expect anything else from journos (or at least we shouldn't), they were probably as fair as could be.  What concerns me, is just how the information got into tv3's hands in the first place, that's worrying.

I have a great deal of sympathy for Lenihan and his family, if pancreatic cancer is indeed the diagnosis it's terrible news.  He seems like a decent and honourable, although totally misguided man.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Bogball XV on December 29, 2009, 09:15:46 PM
tv3 had to run the story, i don't think we expect anything else from journos (or at least we shouldn't), they were probably as fair as could be.  What concerns me, is just how the information got into tv3's hands in the first place, that's worrying.

I have a great deal of sympathy for Lenihan and his family, if pancreatic cancer is indeed the diagnosis it's terrible news.  He seems like a decent and honourable, although totally misguided man.
Every other broadcaster and newspaper kept their mouth shut, why had tv3 to run it?

Bogball XV

Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 29, 2009, 09:17:00 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on December 29, 2009, 09:15:46 PM

Every other broadcaster and newspaper kept their mouth shut, why had tv3 to run it?
did they know it?  That might put a different spin on it if they did and if all broadcasters had agreed to keep stum, the thing is, once so many knew, it would be out anyway, either indynews, boards, politics.ie, as i said before, the real question is who broke the confidentiality between doctor and patient, that's what I find disgusting.

pintsofguinness

One of the papers I was reading, can't remember which one now, clearly stated they were aware since last week but had agreed, with everyone else, not to report it until after the christmas period.

midLouth

Completely out of order to release this information, and on Christmas week of all weeks. There is no way this would have been leaked by govt, especially with the timing of it all.