Adams' brother sought over alleged abuse

Started by Denn Forever, December 18, 2009, 09:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

The journalist Chris Jones  (UTV program?) was interviewed by Pat Kenny this morning, still going on about his opinions on Gerry Adams's perceived complicity. Adams rang up the show some 20 minutes later and deconstructed the main points made by Jones. He said he wasn't going to do anymore interviews on this matter but just had to reply to what was being presented as fact on RTE.

takeyourownpath

everyone who's attacking Gerry Adams on this thread really needs to get their facts straight. he's done nothing wrong. his brother and father were wife beaters and paedos, and both his victims wanted to keep it on the down low, until now. the man's in a public position and just because until now he's never NEEDED to release a statement he's being attacked and saying he's trying to cover his own back, bullshit.
I'm not even a fan of sinn fein, or gerry himself, but all he's done so far as i can see is the same as thousands of other people in ireland his own genoration, it's a well known fact that most husbands were abusive to their wives and children, mostly physical, but sometimes a bit further, sure how could they not be? rape WITHIN marrages was only made illegal in '91.

Hardy

Quote from: takeyourownpath on December 21, 2009, 10:54:42 AMit's a well known fact that most husbands were abusive to their wives and children, mostly physical, but sometimes a bit further

What?  Say that again.

Bud Wiser

There should be arrests, charges and then jail sentences here because when the mother and the niece went to the RUC they were dismissed.  The officers (thugs of the time) that took that report and did nothing should be charged and this is what Chris Jones should have been concentrating on.  It might sound easy enough to go to the PSNI today but it took a little more bottle for a girl and her mother from the Catholic side to walk into an RUC station back then and expect them to help you. As Gerry said on Pat Kenny just a few moments ago, the tabloids were suggesting there was a smoking gun and oh what a story it would have made to sell rag papers?

The facts are that Gerry Adams acted correctly throughout all of this to the extent that he even disassociated his brother from Sinn Fein when he was told of him intending to run in an election.  The focus should be on the RUC and how they acted (which is not hard to guess) whether the girl wanted to go ahead with a prosecution or not.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Evil Genius

Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 20, 2009, 08:14:15 PM
Exactly Myles, and where's the criticism of them from EG or from Tervor Hill etc? 
Can't/Don't speak for TH, but if the RUC were unconcerned to investigate the victim's complaint properly, then I neither condone that, nor defend it.

But there are plenty of other threads about the RUC/PSNI, including one started a week or so ago ("Roll of Honour etc").

This thread is about two sc**bag members of the Adams family and Gerry's reactions/conduct - try to stay on topic.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 20, 2009, 05:44:24 PM
Btw eg would you mind telling me exactly what Gerry Adams should have done, about his brother and his father.
Since Adams knew about his brother's crimes since back in the day when the IRA took upon itself to "police" Republican districts, he might have arranged through his contacts within armed Repubblicanism   for a "punishment squad" [sic] along to kneecap him - the standard sentence (or worse?) for such anti-social activities, I believe.
Of course, I say "might", only that the surname of the (alleged) rapist in question is "Adams".
Now, having answered your question, would you like to tell me exactly what GA would have done, if his neice had been abused all those years ago by someone with a different surname?  ::)

Bear in mind the wishes of their victims.
Aye, tell that to the "victims" of John Brown (see my post #47).
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on December 21, 2009, 11:46:07 AM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on December 21, 2009, 10:56:06 AM
Some distasteful comments alright. EG you are particularly pathetic.

EG makes a late bid for the most one-eyed post of 2009.
I actually think ardmachaabu beat me to it, with his post # 46. Or are only posters from one "side of the house" allowed to be one-eyed [sic]? 

Anyhow, I may use more perjorative teminology than aa, but the fact is, his point and mine are essentially the same i.e. alleged rapists and paedophiles etc in Republican areas were regularly shot and exiled etc at the very same time as Liam Adams (and Gerry Senior?) was up to his vile activities.

But so long as you were sufficiently "well connected", then you might hope to get away with it, or even be protected. And quite frankly, I can't imagine any better connection than the surname "Adams"...  :o
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Main Street on December 21, 2009, 02:44:51 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on December 21, 2009, 02:39:33 PM
try to stay on topic.

;D
What's amusing you? The title of this thread is "Adams' brother sought over alleged child abuse". all my posts have been strictly on the topic of Gerry Adams and his conduct with regard to his brother etc.  ::)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: Evil Genius on December 21, 2009, 03:08:43 PM
Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on December 21, 2009, 11:46:07 AM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on December 21, 2009, 10:56:06 AM
Some distasteful comments alright. EG you are particularly pathetic.

EG makes a late bid for the most one-eyed post of 2009.
I actually think ardmachaabu beat me to it, with his post # 46. Or are only posters from one "side of the house" allowed to be one-eyed [sic]? 

Anyhow, I may use more perjorative teminology than aa, but the fact is, his point and mine are essentially the same i.e. alleged rapists and paedophiles etc in Republican areas were regularly shot and exiled etc at the very same time as Liam Adams (and Gerry Senior?) was up to his vile activities.

But so long as you were sufficiently "well connected", then you might hope to get away with it, or even be protected. And quite frankly, I can't imagine any better connection than the surname "Adams"...  :o

Leave wee Davy out of this.  Respected broadcaster now. ;)
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Main Street

Quote from: Evil Genius on December 21, 2009, 03:12:16 PM
Quote from: Main Street on December 21, 2009, 02:44:51 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on December 21, 2009, 02:39:33 PM
try to stay on topic.

;D
What's amusing you? The title of this thread is "Adams' brother sought over alleged child abuse". all my posts have been strictly on the topic of Gerry Adams and his conduct with regard to his brother etc.  ::)

You know little about the abuse and know little about the conduct of Gerry Adams, yet you surmise and self righteously pontificate like the  good little ultra reactionary you are.
Predictable repetitive agenda but above all, so utterly ignorant of abuse within families.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Evil Genius on December 21, 2009, 02:55:51 PM
Btw eg would you mind telling me exactly what Gerry Adams should have done, about his brother and his father.
Since Adams knew about his brother's crimes since back in the day when the IRA took upon itself to "police" Republican districts, he might have arranged through his contacts within armed Repubblicanism   for a "punishment squad" [sic] along to kneecap him - the standard sentence (or worse?) for such anti-social activities, I believe.
Of course, I say "might", only that the surname of the (alleged) rapist in question is "Adams".
Now, having answered your question, would you like to tell me exactly what GA would have done, if his neice had been abused all those years ago by someone with a different surname?  ::)

Bear in mind the wishes of their victims.
Aye, tell that to the "victims" of John Brown (see my post #47).
So after your little essay the only thing you can criticise Adams on is the fact that he didn't arrange a punishment beating
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

A Quinn Martin Production

EG is caught up in the tabloidesque "Let's Make Adams The Story" approach to this issue and quite clearly doesn't give a flying feck about any of the victims in this case.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Puckoon

QuoteI wouldn't say that I handled this perfectly. Of course I wouldn't

Quote from Gerry Adams.

I would maybe be one of the furthest away from being an apologist for Gerry Adams - and while EGs questions are in a sense, valid enough (I dont see anyone outside of a family member getting away with abusing his neice) - its a different kinda of scenario in a way. Blood is ultimately thicker than water - and what applies to others and may appear as a double standard is understandably not applied here. Whether that is right or wrong is irrelevant at this stage.

Fair play to Gerry Adams for how he is dealing with this - by trying not to deal with it - as it is not about him. It is about his neice.

muppet

Normally for this type of 'exposé' involving a political figure there would be an injunction or something to stop the show going ahead followed by threats and denials and of course cirling of the wagons.

I'm no fan believe me, but credit where it's due, he came out with a very revealing and personal statement on his family. That's not easy for anyone but especially public figures such as Bishops/Politicians/Well respected families etc.

Don't know what the story about the brother is but surely anyone can see the difficulty Adams might have had calling in the RUC! I think Adams is breaking new ground with his honest statement.
MWWSI 2017