theticklemister

Quote from: glens abu on October 03, 2013, 10:17:35 AM
Quote from: theticklemister on October 03, 2013, 10:11:01 AM
Quote from: glens abu on October 03, 2013, 09:55:28 AM
Quote from: Kidder81 on October 03, 2013, 09:50:02 AM
Quote from: glens abu on October 03, 2013, 09:46:41 AM
Quote from: Hound on October 03, 2013, 09:23:06 AM
Quote from: Leo on October 03, 2013, 12:28:53 AM
Having read back through these threads I am aghast at the apologist mentality that is so myopic that SF posters fail to grasp the enormity of human damgae caused by paedophila
I'm surprised anyone is surprised. Reading all their posts its clear that informing on his brother would have been worse than not informing, in their mindset.

Don't be surprised because you and Leo seemed to have missed the point[although I think there is an excuse for him]Gerry Adams had to respect the wishes of the abused and while she want anonymity he couldn't go about telling the world that his brother was a child abuser.What was he to say when he was asked how did he know or who did Liam abuse,break her anonymity and give her name,ffs get real here.This was a very difficult family matter to handle,while at the same time respecting the abused child's wishes.Think there is a lot of very sick sad people on this board who are prepared to use this child's abuse to get a dig at Gerry Adams.I expect it from the likes of Suzanne Breen but others on here who claim to be concerned with Human rights in other countries should look closer to home.

He could quite easily have been removed from working in those two youth clubs in West Belfast, Adams said he didn't know his brother was working in them, that is highly implausible.

Well Gerry did say he informed them but what else could he do without disclosing what Aine didn't want disclosed.If he told people that Liam was a abuser he would have been asked how and who he abused. The problem with the youth club is with the police who say they knew about Liam yet give Liam a clearance to work there.

How dare you say that. The RUC probably did want information on the Adams' family no doubt, but this did not excuse Gerry from doing fcuk all about this after he knew.  Sure the peelers were probably laughing their balls of that a member of Adams' family were in such a role. How many times have the IRA or SF took care of their own business over the years?

Yeah and I am going to listen to someone like you :-[you know fcuk all about what Gerry did or didn't do except what your lovable Suzanne says and no matter what i or anyone else try to tell you it means fcuk all because you have your anti shinner blinkers on.Now away and spread your sh1te somewhere else.

It's not about me taking my anti-shinners blinkers off, it's about you putting your pro-shinners shades on here.

Wouldn't matter what political leader did this, this is totally wrong. In the events in Athlone recently I thought this would confirm the point.

glens abu

Quote from: theticklemister on October 03, 2013, 10:28:53 AM
Quote from: glens abu on October 03, 2013, 10:17:35 AM
Quote from: theticklemister on October 03, 2013, 10:11:01 AM
Quote from: Kidder81 on October 03, 2013, 09:50:02 AM
Having read back through these threads I am aghast at the apologist mentality that is so myopic that SF posters fail to grasp the enormity of human damgae caused by paedophila
I'm surprised anyone is surprised. Reading all their posts its clear that informing on his brother would have been worse than not informing, in their mindset.

Don't be surprised because you and Leo seemed to have missed the point[although I think there is an excuse for him]Gerry Adams had to respect the wishes of the abused and while she want anonymity he couldn't go about telling the world that his brother was a child abuser.What was he to say when he was asked how did he know or who did Liam abuse,break her anonymity and give her name,ffs get real here.This was a very difficult family matter to handle,while at the same time respecting the abused child's wishes.Think there is a lot of very sick sad people on this board who are prepared to use this child's abuse to get a dig at Gerry Adams.I expect it from the likes of Suzanne Breen but others on here who claim to be concerned with Human rights in other countries should look closer to home.

He could quite easily have been removed from working in those two youth clubs in West Belfast, Adams said he didn't know his brother was working in them, that is highly implausible.

Well Gerry did say he informed them but what else could he do without disclosing what Aine didn't want disclosed.If he told people that Liam was a abuser he would have been asked how and who he abused. The problem with the youth club is with the police who say they knew about Liam yet give Liam a clearance to work there.

How dare you say that. The RUC probably did want information on the Adams' family no doubt, but this did not excuse Gerry from doing fcuk all about this after he knew.  Sure the peelers were probably laughing their balls of that a member of Adams' family were in such a role. How many times have the IRA or SF took care of their own business over the years?

Yeah and I am going to listen to someone like you :-[you know fcuk all about what Gerry did or didn't do except what your lovable Suzanne says and no matter what i or anyone else try to tell you it means fcuk all because you have your anti shinner blinkers on.Now away and spread your sh1te somewhere else.

It's not about me taking my anti-shinners blinkers off, it's about you putting your pro-shinners shades on here.

Wouldn't matter what political leader did this, this is totally wrong. In the events in Athlone recently I thought this would confirm the point.

Athlone and Liam Adams two completely different scenarios,and again no matter what I say what Gerry did or didn't do you will never want to take any of it on board as I have read you many times giving him and the Shinners grief.Good luck with Francie and the boys.

deiseach

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 02, 2013, 09:35:38 PM
Agreed that he's not "clinging" - there's clearly no one in SF that's willing to challenge him.

But how can you say that "What she has presented is not evidence of guilt, lies or hypocrisy on Adams' behalf"? Or that "Adams has already given account and her level of evidence has not breached that account"? There are photos of him with his brother during the time they were supposedly estranged.  Is that not fairly black and white? Is that not evidence of lies?

And of course it challenges his credibility - again, it appears not from within SF or those loyal to the party - but to any objective person, how can it not?

It's quite amusing watching the various Shinners skirting around your questions. Hopefully an answer will arrive from the hive mind shortly.

muppet

This will be judged (by non-SF supporters) by today's standards, not in its original context.

We have learned that saying, for example, 'that was the way things were in the 1970s' doesn't wash with the vast majority of the public. Ask Sean Brady.
MWWSI 2017

trileacman

Could someone explain the difference of what Cardinal Brady did and what Gerry did? I mean they both found out about child sex abuse by a colleague and both of them did nothing about it other than keeping it hush hush. This left the sexual predators free to continue their lives and continue their perversions.

Brady was pillared for his actions in a 50+ page discussion on here but Gerry is deemed to be innocent of any wrongdoing. Could someone explain the difference in that?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Quote from: glens abu on October 03, 2013, 10:34:42 AM

Athlone and Liam Adams two completely different scenarios,and again no matter what I say what Gerry did or didn't do you will never want to take any of it on board as I have read you many times giving him and the Shinners grief.Good luck with Francie and the boys.

What about Cardinal Brady and Gerry Adams then?

Applesisapples

Firstly, I would point out that this whole episode has been a tragedy for Aine Adams and her mother and sister. But also for the siblings of Liam Adams including Gerry. I can sort of see why and where Gerry would have had difficulties, and quite rightly someone has pointed out that the RUC did not care one jot for Aine or the kids in West Belfast they allowed to be in Liam Adams care. But... and theres always a but...the pronouncements of SF and their supporters regarding Sean Brady...also in an invidious situation come to mind. Gerry Adams needs to explain more clearly why he chose to spin this story and lie about his contact with his brother and the chronology of his involvement. He does not need to do that for Suzanne Breen or any other anti SF journo. But he does owe a rational explanation to the party he leads and its voters and potential voters. It all smacks of hypocrisy.

give her dixie

Adams 'wanted to conceal sex abuse allegation'

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/adams-wanted-to-conceal-sex-abuse-allegation-29630587.html

PAUL WILLIAMS SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT – 03 OCTOBER 2013

AINE Adams claims that her uncle Gerry wanted her allegations of sex abuse against her father kept a secret from the police and the public.

And the child abuse victim's mother has revealed that the Sinn Fein leader had given his niece "false hopes" that something was going to be done about her father's behaviour.

Aine Adams and her mother Sally make the claims in a special 'Insight' documentary which is to be re-broadcast tonight on UTV.

The investigation, by award-winning journalist Chris Moore, originally aired in December 2009, contains serious allegations which will ratchet up the controversy surrounding Gerry Adams' role in the abuse scandal.

In the 'Insight' programme Aine describes how she and her mother first told Mr Adams about the allegations in 1987 – but that he took no action for 20 years until the police investigation was re-opened at her request.

The 40-year-old mother also reveals how she was approached by campaigning priest Fr Aidan Troy on behalf of Liam Adams the night before Liam was to be formally interviewed by police. Following the interview, Liam Adams went on the run.

CIRCUS

"He (Fr Troy) said Liam would have met with me and do whatever it took but don't go to the police because the media would have a circus," she claims.

Fr Troy, who gained worldwide recognition for his role in the Holy Cross primary school dispute, refused to comment about the allegations when they were broadcast four years ago.

Aine describes a series of meetings she had with her uncle after she decided to resurrect her original police complaint against her father in 2004.

Gerry Adams said that he was trying to get her father to apologise to her face-to-face but he never turned up.

She says: "I got my eyes opened because when I was going to the meetings it was turning into Liam was the victim. 'Our Liam is sick in the head . . . our Liam can't deal with what he did to you . . . that's why our Liam is sick in the head now . . . our Liam can't cope."

Aine claims her uncle told her: "I'm trying to get him to meet you but you know he's a coward and he may not want to do that (apologise)."

She said that she believed the meetings were being organised in the hope that she would eventually drop her allegations.

She said she told her uncle: "You have failed me again 20 years later (after first telling him about the abuse). I wrote Gerry Adams a letter telling him that I was stopping contact."
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Keyser soze

Quote from: trileacman on October 03, 2013, 12:27:48 PM
Could someone explain the difference of what Cardinal Brady did and what Gerry did? I mean they both found out about child sex abuse by a colleague and both of them did nothing about it other than keeping it hush hush. This left the sexual predators free to continue their lives and continue their perversions.

Brady was pillared for his actions in a 50+ page discussion on here but Gerry is deemed to be innocent of any wrongdoing. Could someone explain the difference in that?

Firstly Gerry Adams is not a colleague of Liam Adams. He's a brother. Having never been in this situation I cannot say for sure but I'd imagine it would be a much more difficult option to report a sibling to the authorities than it would be to report a colleague or a stranger. I'm not saying this is right or wrong and im sure there are many people on this board, and in the media obviously, of such impeccable moral fibre that they would rush to the authorities at the merest implication of wrongdoing whether the person was there nearset and dearest or not.

Secondly this situation was reported to the authorities by the wronged party herself. She then withdrew the allegation when it became clear that the RUC were primarily interested in using the situation to make political capital. What were expecting Gerry Adams to do in these circumstances?

Btw I am no apologist for Gerry Adams, he has clearly lied about his role in this affair and in other matters, as has been discussed on here ad nauseum, but I do not see evidence here that he covered up this matter.

AQMP

Quote from: give her dixie on October 03, 2013, 12:57:14 PM
Adams 'wanted to conceal sex abuse allegation'

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/adams-wanted-to-conceal-sex-abuse-allegation-29630587.html

PAUL WILLIAMS SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT – 03 OCTOBER 2013

AINE Adams claims that her uncle Gerry wanted her allegations of sex abuse against her father kept a secret from the police and the public.

And the child abuse victim's mother has revealed that the Sinn Fein leader had given his niece "false hopes" that something was going to be done about her father's behaviour.

Aine Adams and her mother Sally make the claims in a special 'Insight' documentary which is to be re-broadcast tonight on UTV.

The investigation, by award-winning journalist Chris Moore, originally aired in December 2009, contains serious allegations which will ratchet up the controversy surrounding Gerry Adams' role in the abuse scandal.

In the 'Insight' programme Aine describes how she and her mother first told Mr Adams about the allegations in 1987 – but that he took no action for 20 years until the police investigation was re-opened at her request.

The 40-year-old mother also reveals how she was approached by campaigning priest Fr Aidan Troy on behalf of Liam Adams the night before Liam was to be formally interviewed by police. Following the interview, Liam Adams went on the run.

CIRCUS

"He (Fr Troy) said Liam would have met with me and do whatever it took but don't go to the police because the media would have a circus," she claims.

Fr Troy, who gained worldwide recognition for his role in the Holy Cross primary school dispute, refused to comment about the allegations when they were broadcast four years ago.

Aine describes a series of meetings she had with her uncle after she decided to resurrect her original police complaint against her father in 2004.

Gerry Adams said that he was trying to get her father to apologise to her face-to-face but he never turned up.

She says: "I got my eyes opened because when I was going to the meetings it was turning into Liam was the victim. 'Our Liam is sick in the head . . . our Liam can't deal with what he did to you . . . that's why our Liam is sick in the head now . . . our Liam can't cope."

Aine claims her uncle told her: "I'm trying to get him to meet you but you know he's a coward and he may not want to do that (apologise)."

She said that she believed the meetings were being organised in the hope that she would eventually drop her allegations.

She said she told her uncle: "You have failed me again 20 years later (after first telling him about the abuse). I wrote Gerry Adams a letter telling him that I was stopping contact."

Just to clarify, is this a repeat of the original Insight programme from 2009 or is it an updated version of that broadcast with new information??

trileacman

Quote from: Keyser soze on October 03, 2013, 01:01:16 PM

Firstly Gerry Adams is not a colleague of Liam Adams. He's a brother. Having never been in this situation I cannot say for sure but I'd imagine it would be a much more difficult option to report a sibling to the authorities than it would be to report a colleague or a stranger. I'm not saying this is right or wrong and im sure there are many people on this board, and in the media obviously, of such impeccable moral fibre that they would rush to the authorities at the merest implication of wrongdoing whether the person was there nearset and dearest or not.

Secondly this situation was reported to the authorities by the wronged party herself. She then withdrew the allegation when it became clear that the RUC were primarily interested in using the situation to make political capital. What were expecting Gerry Adams to do in these circumstances?

Btw I am no apologist for Gerry Adams, he has clearly lied about his role in this affair and in other matters, as has been discussed on here ad nauseum, but I do not see evidence here that he covered up this matter.

I don't see the distinction.

Gerry Adams obviously didn't want to bring shame upon his family and reporting his brother as a sex offender would also have been very difficult. However I think Cardinal Brady wasn't offered such an excuse when he was dragged over the coals. Exposing such a embarrassing and shameful episode isn't easy and I'm sure he knew well the repercussions for the Church, which to a priest, is the nearest thing he has to a family IMO. Neither person acted properly but there is a imbalance in how their actions are viewed. If you believe that Brady failed and has no excuses then it follows that you believe Gerry has none either. However if you think Gerry handled a difficult situation badly then you'd have to say the same for Brady.

johnneycool

Quote from: Keyser soze on October 03, 2013, 01:01:16 PM

Was it ever confirmed by Aine that she'd asked her uncle Gerry not to mention it and respect her privacy?

If this is true then its a very different scenario to Sean Brady who swore the victims to secrecy to aid the perpetrator.

Did Liam Adams abuse other youngsters?

I'd have thought Gerry could and should have used his considerable influence to ensure his brother didn't work in youth projects in the city.

Maguire01

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 03, 2013, 12:30:35 PM
Gerry Adams needs to explain more clearly why he chose to spin this story and lie about his contact with his brother and the chronology of his involvement. He does not need to do that for Suzanne Breen or any other anti SF journo. But he does owe a rational explanation to the party he leads and its voters and potential voters. It all smacks of hypocrisy.
So basically he needs to publicly explain himself? I don't think Suzanne Breen is expecting him to be accountable specifically to her.

Maguire01

Try again:
"Aine Tyrell has said that she never demanded that Sinn Fein president Gerry Adams protect her anonymity over claims that his brother Liam — her father — had repeatedly raped her from when she was four years old. Aine says that she would have been willing at any time to accompany Gerry Adams to meet Sinn Fein and youth groups in west Belfast to warn them about the allegations against her father."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/we-received-no-support-from-gerry-adams-he-didnt-even-send-a-birthday-card-28514105.html

Maguire01

The problem with the youth club is with the police who say they knew about Liam yet give Liam a clearance to work there.
That's the classic Cardinal Brady scenario though, isn't it? The message had been passed on - others did nothing, I had fulfilled my role.