McHale Park ...The new Stand

Started by Barna Bee, December 16, 2009, 03:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilySavage

prewtna

Quote from: muppet on December 17, 2009, 02:24:40 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 16, 2009, 10:22:32 PM
Lads it's a fine stand. The poles are hardly noticeable. Ye would look for a problem in an orgy in heaven, ffs. I take great pride every time I pass along the ring road behind McHale Road. As for those complaining on McHale road, complaints for complaints sake methinks, I wonder how many of them are not blow-ins and I see they have hired a serial complainer solicitor to get involved.

This rhetoric sounds very familiar. ::) It continues that ' most of the residents didn't object' and therefore we are in the right. It ignores the fact that most of the residents don't live under the tower of Crossmaglen.

The blow-ins on McHale Road are not those living there.

The stand is on the east side because there was no way they would ever get planning on the west side. The houses there would never see the sun again. The tower that has been built on the west side does not comply with the planning. The residents have done nothing wrong and are being treated very poorly and have every right to protest.

I have always considered the McHale Road residents to be a big part of match day, decorating their houses on green & red, and many of them played for and are/were members of Castlebar Michels club. The new conflict between residents and McHale park seems to have a lot to do with those who took it off the Mitchel's hands.

agreed it wouldnt get planning on that side of the pich so to be fair me saying its on the wrong bloody side is a bit harsh.

the whole thing seems to send out the image of 'ah itll do' kind of job from design and building of the stand and media tower to the treatment of both mchale road residents and the planning process

BigJohnBrowne

Quote from: stephenite on December 17, 2009, 05:37:15 AM
Quote from: quiltylads on December 17, 2009, 02:30:36 AM
Quote from: Barna Bee on December 16, 2009, 03:04:36 PM
What a lump of lard....what's withthe permanent poles in the middle obstructing everyones view?Could they not have spent a few more bob building a cantilevered stand ...looks like something out of the 30's . Who built this heap? and why did they allow this go ahead ? Developers were sh1t buy the look of it

http://www.castlebar.ie/JLoftus/McHale_Park_Stand_Update.shtml

What's with the neutral blue seating? Couldn't they hae done Green/Red every second section?

Exactly - or Red seating with a white lettering as Gaeilge, or vice versa. Options abound for anyone with half an imagination. And don't anyone bleat about cost - if you're going into debt, different colours of the seats is not going to make too much difference.

depends on whether you get blue seats at a knock down price  :D :D ;D ;D :D :D

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: BigJohnBrowne on December 17, 2009, 05:03:44 PM
What a lump of lard....what's withthe permanent poles in the middle obstructing everyones view?Could they not have spent a few more bob building a cantilevered stand ...looks like something out of the 30's . Who built this heap? and why did they allow this go ahead ? Developers were sh1t buy the look of it

What's with the neutral blue seating? Couldn't they hae done Green/Red every second section?

Exactly - or Red seating with a white lettering as Gaeilge, or vice versa. Options abound for anyone with half an imagination. And don't anyone bleat about cost - if you're going into debt, different colours of the seats is not going to make too much difference.

Leitrim probably have the best stand in Connacht. Mayos stand in a farce IMO, i remember reading that they got blue seats because they dont fade colour. A bit of joke that. But sure whens its full you wont see them only positive i can say. I know planning stipulations mean its west facing stand which really makes the roof obsolete considering most weather fronts come in that way and was a problem on the old one. Probably one of the worst aesthically looking grounds in Ireland but when its full will carry some atmosphere though. I would of developed Markievicz differently aswell but sure you just have to accept these things and move on.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on December 17, 2009, 06:41:54 PM
Quote from: BigJohnBrowne on December 17, 2009, 05:03:44 PM

Leitrim probably have the best stand in Connacht.

I've been in it and it's a fine stand in Carrick but the stand in Pearse is better in all honesty. Not to mention it holds 5,000 more punters.

The stand in McHale Park is bigger again even though it looks a bit like something out of the 1970's.

randomtask

i think it looks well think counted 4 very thin poles

highorlow

It's not that bad at all.

If they were to do a cantilever type stand you are getting into huge cost. If we use Thomand Park as an example.

Thomand Park cost circa €40 million to build (construction costs) with a seating capacity of 15,000. Its a fine stadium but if a shower of rain comes and you are seated half way down you would get wet. So based on the above construction costs a stand such as Thomand on one side you'd be talking at least €20 million, plus design costs etc.

If anything I'd have more of a gripe with the floodlight columns which are taking up a huge chunk of the terracing on the opposite side in McHale and block out the view of a good few spaces. I can only assume that they must have been restricted from putting them back further up the terrace?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: highorlow on December 17, 2009, 11:29:51 PM

If they were to do a cantilever type stand you are getting into huge cost. If we use Thomand Park as an example.

Thomand Park cost circa €40 million to build (construction costs) with a seating capacity of 15,000. Its a fine stadium but if a shower of rain comes and you are seated half way down you would get wet. So based on the above construction costs a stand such as Thomand on one side you'd be talking at least €20 million, plus design costs etc.

If anything I'd have more of a gripe with the floodlight columns which are taking up a huge chunk of the terracing on the opposite side in McHale and block out the view of a good few spaces. I can only assume that they must have been restricted from putting them back further up the terrace?

They have to be postioned in a way that they do not throw too much light on McHale road. More of the lights have to be the McHale Road side so the light is mostly thrown in the opposite direction.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

RMDrive

Quote from: highorlow on December 17, 2009, 11:29:51 PM

Very true. They restrict the view for a surprisingly large area.

Barney

QuoteLights out for Galway?

Floodlit game uncertain for Mayo in Castlebar

Daniel Carey

MAYO'S National Football League opener against Galway is in limbo, with plans to stage the game under floodlights at McHale Park, Castlebar now in doubt.
Castlebar Town Council's decision to grant retention planning permission for the McHale Park development has been appealed to An Bord Pleanála by Peter Sweetman and Associates, on behalf of the McHale Road Residents Association.
Mayo GAA Board Chairman James Waldron insists the game will be played in the county ground – but says it is not yet clear whether it will take place under lights. The game, the first inter-county match to be played under floodlights in McHale Park, is scheduled to take place on Saturday evening, February 6. The game is due to be televised by Setanta Sports.
"Whether it's the Saturday night or the Sunday, I don't know," the County Board Chairman told The Mayo News. "We have to get clarification on that. As of now, it's still fixed for the Saturday night, but it would be really down to whether we're allowed to use the lights or not."
But the Mayor of Castlebar believes a match cannot be played under lights in McHale Park while An Bord Pleanála consider the matter. Cllr Michael Kilcoyne, who has been a vocal critic of the GAA's handling of the project, said: "The lights are the subject of the appeal and cannot be used – it would be a breach if they do that. A further breach."
A spokesman for An Bord Pleanála said that there was 'no request for an oral hearing' in the appeal, but that the board 'has the right' to call one if deemed necessary. He added that the board hopes to deal with the matter 'on or before April 29, 2010', so a resolution ahead of the National League opener looks highly unlikely.
James Waldron insisted that there is no question of the game being moved to an alternative venue. "It will be in McHale Park – there's no doubt about that," he concluded.
Seamus Granahan, Castlebar Town Manager, said that Castlebar Town Council 'will be making a submission' to An Bord Pleanála. He confirmed that 'there was some unauthorised work done' at McHale Park in early December, but that the GAA had 'immediately' promised to deal with it.

The incompetence continues and is staggering. The lack of uproar is nearly more worrying. I wonder how many 10 year tickets have been sold though?

Now I'd say there is some sensationalism here about the Galway game and cheap publicity for a politician, but then to read that there was more unauthorised work carried out at the beginning of December....

prewtna

i suppose if we want to be really fussy, a precedent has already been set at mchale park.

the lights have in fact already been used. the county final i think it was, was quickly decending into darkness and next thing we know - hey presto - lights on!

so whats the harm in doing that again for galway match?!!! lol we can all congregate for the game as it is fixed at the moment and when everyone realises that actually its a bit dark and we cant see the players as they warm up, flick the lights on so someone doesnt do themselves a mischief on the 804 and maintanence spread around the back of the stand?

its a health and safety thing - health and safety! say it enough and you might actually believe it.

Geoff Tipps

Quotei remember reading that they got blue seats because they dont fade colour.

Yeah that was the reason i heard too.

moysider

Quote from: Barney on January 05, 2010, 05:15:40 PM
QuoteLights out for Galway?

Floodlit game uncertain for Mayo in Castlebar

Daniel Carey

MAYO'S National Football League opener against Galway is in limbo, with plans to stage the game under floodlights at McHale Park, Castlebar now in doubt.
Castlebar Town Council's decision to grant retention planning permission for the McHale Park development has been appealed to An Bord Pleanála by Peter Sweetman and Associates, on behalf of the McHale Road Residents Association.
Mayo GAA Board Chairman James Waldron insists the game will be played in the county ground – but says it is not yet clear whether it will take place under lights. The game, the first inter-county match to be played under floodlights in McHale Park, is scheduled to take place on Saturday evening, February 6. The game is due to be televised by Setanta Sports.
"Whether it's the Saturday night or the Sunday, I don't know," the County Board Chairman told The Mayo News. "We have to get clarification on that. As of now, it's still fixed for the Saturday night, but it would be really down to whether we're allowed to use the lights or not."
But the Mayor of Castlebar believes a match cannot be played under lights in McHale Park while An Bord Pleanála consider the matter. Cllr Michael Kilcoyne, who has been a vocal critic of the GAA's handling of the project, said: "The lights are the subject of the appeal and cannot be used – it would be a breach if they do that. A further breach."
A spokesman for An Bord Pleanála said that there was 'no request for an oral hearing' in the appeal, but that the board 'has the right' to call one if deemed necessary. He added that the board hopes to deal with the matter 'on or before April 29, 2010', so a resolution ahead of the National League opener looks highly unlikely.
James Waldron insisted that there is no question of the game being moved to an alternative venue. "It will be in McHale Park – there's no doubt about that," he concluded.
Seamus Granahan, Castlebar Town Manager, said that Castlebar Town Council 'will be making a submission' to An Bord Pleanála. He confirmed that 'there was some unauthorised work done' at McHale Park in early December, but that the GAA had 'immediately' promised to deal with it.

The incompetence continues and is staggering. The lack of uproar is nearly more worrying. I wonder how many 10 year tickets have been sold though?

Now I'd say there is some sensationalism here about the Galway game and cheap publicity for a politician, but then to read that there was more unauthorised work carried out at the beginning of December....

Cant say that I know the whole story here but it looks bad. Apparently the locals dont like the arrogance of the top shelf of the county board or they dont like the organisation or the people involved, first stop. You d have to wonder if this development should have happened here. Councillor 'whatyemaycallhim' should consider what the local economy gains from matches. Stuff that towns like Ballina, Crossmolina and Charlestown would like a bit of still. Funny, its not like McHale Park is the first venue in Castlebar to be flood lit. Celtic Park, Tennis club, Mile Bush have floodlighting for years. Obvious for a distance and frequently used. Dont remember much fuss about them.  I smell a shakedown which is not helped by the lack of savvy in our illustrious officers. I suspect our McHale road residents have caught Jones Road fever. They should nurture the goose instead of strangling the poor beast.

macdanger2

QuoteMEANWHILE, Mayo GAA Board may have to reduce the amount of money being put into coaching, Treasurer JP Lambe told Convention. Noting that the County Board had put €32,000 into coaching and development, the Garrymore clubman said: "With the expenses coming up [in relation to the McHale Park redevelopment], I don't know can we continue to put that kind of money into coaching."

He's dead right, no point in wasting money on fancy-dan sh*t like coaching, we're better off spending the money on a new stand.

Tubberman

QuoteCouncillor 'whatyemaycallhim' should consider what the local economy gains from matches. Stuff that towns like Ballina, Crossmolina and Charlestown would like a bit of still. Funny, its not like McHale Park is the first venue in Castlebar to be flood lit. Celtic Park, Tennis club, Mile Bush have floodlighting for years. Obvious for a distance and frequently used. Dont remember much fuss about them.  I smell a shakedown which is not helped by the lack of savvy in our illustrious officers. I suspect our McHale road residents have caught Jones Road fever. They should nurture the goose instead of strangling the poor beast.

Good post, I'd agree with that. And to be honest, I think the Cllr(s) in question might be steering the resident's association along a route that they wouldn't be particulalrly bothered about taking if left to their own devices. That's only my opinion, can't say I know for sure.
But the CB have handled the whole redevelopment shockingly bad in most aspects - design, planning permission, PR....
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."