Give us a Quiz.......

Started by panc56, December 15, 2009, 03:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panc56

The old Hogan Stand have decided not to do their annual GAA quiz this year  :'( For the last few years we have brought this quiz to the pub after work (and sometimes during work!) as the year end approached.It has led to numerous arguments and long debates and so much fun.
Any idea where a few GAA diehards could get their year end quiz-fix ?

southsidejohnny

At a rough guess, name the only Kerry player ever to win an All Star but not an All-Ireland senior medal.

AZOffaly

I was going to say Connie Murphy. I think he won an All Star when Crokes won the AIC, but then he did cruciate ligaments in a tournament game against us down in Tralee, around 1992 I think, so I doubt he'd have been there in 1997, and I don't think he was there in 1986.

cornafean

Connie Murphy it is. Colin Cooper was also in this category for a while prior to 2004.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

blanketattack

Karl O'Dwyer.
Played for Kerry and Kildare, winning an All-Star while with Kildare.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Remember the Irish News quiz in the Welly Park? Think there were regional rounds as well. Was a good night's craic. We were beaten given that the average age of our team was about 21 but there was a hell of a good standard.

Did it only ever happen the once?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

cornafean

Quote from: blanketattack on December 16, 2009, 09:52:40 AM
Karl O'Dwyer.

If you include O'Dwyer as a "Kerry footballer" you must also include Vinny Murphy who won an All Star with Dublin and later played with Kerry.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

INDIANA

Quote from: cornafean on December 16, 2009, 11:26:20 AM
Quote from: blanketattack on December 16, 2009, 09:52:40 AM
Karl O'Dwyer.

If you include O'Dwyer as a "Kerry footballer" you must also include Vinny Murphy who won an All Star with Dublin and later played with Kerry.

kerry hurlers -they wouldn't let him play the football.

saffron sam2

No point in this thread, once the cornafean fecker got involved. Knows everything that boy.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

ONeill

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on December 16, 2009, 11:14:07 AM
Remember the Irish News quiz in the Welly Park? Think there were regional rounds as well. Was a good night's craic. We were beaten given that the average age of our team was about 21 but there was a hell of a good standard.

Did it only ever happen the once?

Yes. The highlight was the final when Fearon was kicked off his team by Ross Carr for rustling packets of Doritos.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Rocky Mc Guigan

Quote from: cornafean on December 16, 2009, 09:31:20 AM
Connie Murphy it is. Colin Cooper was also in this category for a while prior to 2004.
Still a very sore point with John Mc Goldrick (Tyrone) that Murphy pipped him to an all star in 1989!!

Bensars

Think the same question is relevant to Down. Only one of their all stars has not won an all ireland senior medal

saffron sam2

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Bud Wiser

Joe Kernan said on the radio that his new job as Galway manager was handy because "I have no bother travelling to and from the training sessions because there is an airport just an hour away from my house and when I  land in Galway the airport is right beside the pitch."

Question:  How many flights a year does Joe Kernan take in his voluntary capacity as trainer of the Galway Senior football team?

(Doubt if O'Neill will get this as it has absolutely nothing at all to do with Colm Parkinson)
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"