What's your festive tipple?

Started by redhugh, December 15, 2009, 02:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ha ha derry

Wolf Blass presidents selection chardonay before and during the dinner.
One shot of Rumpleminz after dinner and then...

Billys Boots

Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 15, 2009, 04:30:56 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on December 15, 2009, 03:32:59 PM

Quotebordeaux 2003 or 2005

Now yer talking - I was in France there at Halloween (that's when they have their wine sales) and I got some deadly haut medoc (2003) and graves (2005).
when we get out for a few pints in the not too distant future with SS and the three tyronies I'll get the info from you about the whole where to go in Bordeaux and these wine sales...

Yer on.  ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

TacadoirArdMhacha

As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Puckoon

Wine simmered up with spices - nut meg, cinnamon, orange peel and a bunch of crap. House smells rotten and the mother gets shnockered.

ha ha derry

Quote from: Puckoon on December 15, 2009, 06:55:10 PM
Wine simmered up with spices - nut meg, cinnamon, orange peel and a bunch of crap. House smells rotten and the mother gets shnockered.

When nobody is looking sneak in a quarter bottle of brandy... adds to the fun / meyhem.  ;)

Treasurer

Quote from: ha ha derry on December 15, 2009, 06:59:33 PM

When nobody is looking sneak in a quarter bottle of brandy... adds to the fun / meyhem.  ;)

No sneaking - it's as essential an ingredient as the cinnamon sticks!

Puckoon

Having usually always bar tended on christmas night, Ive never really drank much that day.

Maybe a few beers or some rum.

ha ha derry

Quote from: Treasurer on December 15, 2009, 07:04:21 PM
Quote from: ha ha derry on December 15, 2009, 06:59:33 PM

No sneaking - it's as essential an ingredient as the cinnamon sticks!

With a Baileys head I suppose  :D :D

redhugh

Mulled wine is wrong!and boggin'.if it was nice we'd be drinking it all year round.
Just back in from the shops loaded with drink.Bought some nice Brunello di Montalcino,Masi Campofiorin and Tignanello - it's been a while since I splashed out on nice wines.A bottle of Frangelico jumped into the wife's basket, though what she plans to do with it I don't know.Hendrick's gin ,Grey Goose and Morgan's spiced were the choices I went for.We got some Goslings dark rum also - class with ginger beer and a twist of lime(Dark and Stormy).

I've decided that my post dinner tipple for Christmas day is ......Stardust- Vanilla vodka and champagne in shots.Followed by turbo shandy - half bottle of stella and half a bottle of smirnoff ice.....I know ,I know I'm a dorty bastid.

I'd like to just take this opportunity to apologise for any of my offensive posts that you may happen to come across over the festive period,as I will be quite squiffy for a sizeable chunk of the holidays.

Hardy

Hot rum! The idea just hit me when redhugh mentioned rum. I'm always stuck to know what to drink after the dinner, after Midleton in the morning (the neighbour's, so that's even better), sherry at the present opening - don't ask, it's just a tradition and a nice one - and a few colours of wine with the dinner.

The hot rum would be perfect for Christmas Day and it's now a plan. It's the same as hot whiskey, except with rum, like.

Puckoon

Quote from: Hardy on December 16, 2009, 05:23:35 PM
Hot rum! The idea just hit me when redhugh mentioned rum. I'm always stuck to know what to drink after the dinner, after Midleton in the morning (the neighbour's, so that's even better), sherry at the present opening - don't ask, it's just a tradition and a nice one - and a few colours of wine with the dinner.

The hot rum would be perfect for Christmas Day and it's now a plan. It's the same as hot whiskey, except with rum, like.

Hot buttered rum is a traditional favourite over here.

Ingredients

1 stick unsalted butter, softened
2 cups light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
Pinch ground cloves
Pinch salt
Bottle dark rum
Boiling water

Directions
In a bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Refrigerate until almost firm. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the butter mixture into 12 small mugs. Pour about 3 ounces of rum into each mug (filling about halfway). Top with boiling water (to fill the remaining half), stir well, and serve immediately.

no mo do yakamo

The non american way to do that would be to use salted butter and leave out the salt. But i guess people are more health conscious over there. ::)
It wasn't even kennedy in the car.

Puckoon

Our it could be that unsalted butter doesnt have the salt in it to act as a preservative, and therefore it might be fresher.

redhugh

Hot rum eh? Nice recipe Puck, cheers.I've never had it before,but it sounds like a nice wee warmer for Christmas eve.I'll give it a dart this year for sure .

no mo do yakamo

Quote from: Puckoon on December 16, 2009, 05:48:48 PM
Our it could be that unsalted butter doesnt have the salt in it to act as a preservative, and therefore it might be fresher.
Yeah. Thats probably it.
It wasn't even kennedy in the car.