What do you waste the most money on?

Started by Puckoon, December 14, 2009, 07:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quote from: redhugh on December 14, 2009, 07:55:47 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 14, 2009, 07:52:11 PM
I wouldnt say I wasted any money, I do spend quite a bit of it on games and toys....

Of a sexual nature?
:D No, of an electronic/gadget nature. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

redhugh

Orior

Quote from: Puckoon on December 14, 2009, 07:07:06 PM
I got mad the other day - I continue to buy yoghurts and then never eat them, but every time I am in the grocery store I frigging buy a 12 pack. Between them and lettuce, I continue to buy and throw these things out on a regular basis.

What do you waste your money on that never gets eaten regularly or often thrown out?

Great question, and wish you'd asked it long ago.

I regularly throw out ham, apples, vegetables all bought with good intentions. I buy far too many sweets, crisps and chocolate.

I've paid car insurance, house insurance, holiday insurance, but never cashed in.

I collect air miles on every airline, and points at various hotels, but never go back for free.

I also hate the bartering thing. I'm the only that will hand over my money to get out of the shop as quick as I can.

And if any of your arseholes start sending me begging letters then I'll publish your email address in this thread.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

gerry

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Puckoon

Quote from: Orior on December 14, 2009, 08:09:04 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on December 14, 2009, 07:07:06 PM
I got mad the other day - I continue to buy yoghurts and then never eat them, but every time I am in the grocery store I frigging buy a 12 pack. Between them and lettuce, I continue to buy and throw these things out on a regular basis.

What do you waste your money on that never gets eaten regularly or often thrown out?

Great question, and wish you'd asked it long ago.

I regularly throw out ham, apples, vegetables all bought with good intentions. I buy far too many sweets, crisps and chocolate.

I've paid car insurance, house insurance, holiday insurance, but never cashed in.

I collect air miles on every airline, and points at various hotels, but never go back for free.

I also hate the bartering thing. I'm the only that will hand over my money to get out of the shop as quick as I can.

And if any of your arseholes start sending me begging letters then I'll publish your email address in this thread.

My arsehole is illiterate.

gerry

heard this on the way home on radio ulster.  coming from working in retail it's a disgrace the amount of food that goes in the bin because it is past its display date but still within it best before date.

link

Food for Thought

14 December 2009

Celebrity chef, Stephen Jeffers, is serving up a delicious lunch with a difference today – using food which would normally go to landfill.

The `Food for Thought` event used ingredients diverted from the food waste chain to highlight an innovative food sharing concept.

Council for the Homeless NI now hope to lobby both the food industry and government to establish FareShare NI, pointing out that the project will work with local food producers and retailers to meet social need as well as providing a real environmental benefit.

All three of Belfast`s civic dignitaries – the Lord Mayor, Deputy Lord Mayor and High Sheriff – attended today`s event to demonstrate their support for such an exciting vision.

Lord Mayor, Councillor Naomi Long, said: "The sad reality is that people in Belfast and beyond are going hungry while edible food is going to waste. If this project becomes a reality then it will make a very real difference by diverting food destined for landfill and redistributing it to those in need.

"By serving lunch after talking about those who are suffering food poverty, we are highlighting the real commodity at the centre of this issue – food – and showing how this can be put to its rightful use to feed families and keep people healthy rather than adding to landfill.

"It highlights just how seriously we are taking this issue that all three civic dignitaries are uniting today in support of this scheme. We are appealing to the food industry to agree to join us in supporting the establishment of FareShare NI".

Alison Upton of Council for the Homeless NI pointed out the success of the FareShare food sharing model in Britain.

"This is proof of how the redistribution of food can be achieved efficiently and effectively when the food industry works with the voluntary sector and is in turn supported by government at local and regional level," she added.

"Now we are calling on the food industry to agree to work within a FareShare NI framework to supply food for redistribution and work with us to ensure that the same high standard in codes of practice employed by NI Food industry can be translated to the regional food sharing project".

Chef, Stephen Jeffers, commented: "I am delighted to be involved with today`s initiative.

"It is important that we highlight the plight of homeless people at Christmastime when so many of us take a full tummy and a warm home for granted. The concept of putting this otherwise unwanted food to good use, feeding those who need it most, is fantastic. I wish this venture every success," he said.

venter

Quote from: gerry on December 14, 2009, 08:39:25 PM
heard this on the way home on radio ulster.  coming from working in retail it's a disgrace the amount of food that goes in the bin because it is past its display date but still within it best before date.

I was in dunnes earlier and I got some nice baby potatoes in basil and sundried tomato butter. They  were only 29c and probably a few hours from going in the bin. They are usually sold at 2.99 or something like that. The odd visit to the "reduced to clear" section can be worth it.

The spuds were grand by the way!!

redhugh

I know it's stating the obvious ,but best before means just that and no more.It does'nt mean that after this date it will do you any harm. Are people really so stupid that they don't know what bad food smells, tastes or looks like?
How the fcuk can a bottle of water for example have a best before date? "Filtered through volcanic rock for 2000 years" and then underneath this line "Best before Dec 09."

gerry

your right, but you cannot sell anything after its BBF date

pintsofguinness

Quote from: redhugh on December 14, 2009, 09:29:23 PM
I know it's stating the obvious ,but best before means just that and no more.It does'nt mean that after this date it will do you any harm. Are people really so stupid that they don't know what bad food smells, tastes or looks like?
How the fcuk can a bottle of water for example have a best before date? "Filtered through volcanic rock for 2000 years" and then underneath this line "Best before Dec 09."
I use to think like, one evening there was chicken in the fridge that was a day or two out of date, I ate it and I spent most of the next day on a toilet! Followed by several days on the couch. I think it was undercooked as well but it give me a phobia - I'd hardly eat anything if it was on the sell by date, and everything I cook has to be burned.

muppet

Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 14, 2009, 09:45:44 PM
I use to think like, one evening there was chicken in the fridge that was a day or two out of date, I ate it and I spent most of the next day on a toilet! Followed by several days on the couch. I think it was undercooked as well but it give me a phobia - I'd hardly eat anything if it was on the sell by date, and everything I cook has to be burned.

I went to boarding school. I have a stomach like a cement mixer but I examine everything very carefully before I cook and or eat it.
MWWSI 2017

redhugh

I'm sure if you'd smelt it pints,you'd have known it was gone - I have a fairly strong stomach,but off chicken makes me hurl every time I smell it. I'm not saying it's all safe,and I know that the rule of "if in doubt throw it out" stands true, all I'm trying to say is that not all food past it's BBF(cheers Gerry),is inedible and that common sense should play a part. Do we really need someone to tell us when produce is unsafe?(Apart from your good self pints)

Orior

Quote from: venter on December 14, 2009, 09:10:10 PM
Quote from: gerry on December 14, 2009, 08:39:25 PM

I was in dunnes earlier and I got some nice baby potatoes in basil and sundried tomato butter. They  were only 29c and probably a few hours from going in the bin. They are usually sold at 2.99 or something like that. The odd visit to the "reduced to clear" section can be worth it.

The spuds were grand by the way!!

When I was a nipper and out on slave labour gathering spuds, we would throw them baby spuds away. We called them "chats".

Another good hobby, was impaling the odd spud on the end of a stick and seeing how far you could project it. Great craic, until the owner or target caught you. And then there was the farmer who "laid" eggs shortly after the spuds were planted. Pity the person who got a six month old egg down the back off their shirt.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

pintsofguinness

Quote from: redhugh on December 14, 2009, 09:54:00 PM

I'm sure if you'd smelt it pints,you'd have known it was gone - I have a fairly strong stomach,but off chicken makes me hurl every time I smell it. I'm not saying it's all safe,and I know that the rule of "if in doubt throw it out" stands true, all I'm trying to say is that not all food past it's BBF(cheers Gerry),is inedible and that common sense should play a part. Do we really need someone to tell us when produce is unsafe?(Apart from your good self pints)
All raw meat smells off to me! though it may be the complete paranoia I have from that experience.
Milk's another thing, always smell off to me.  I dont know why. 

redhugh

A Chinese chef I used to work with once told me that to them ,we all smell of sour milk,because of the amount of dairy we consume.