AFL not happy with Australia's proposed bid for the 2018 or 2022 World Cup

Started by Aerlik, December 08, 2009, 11:13:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlik

Just this week the bigwigs at the AFL have taken a dig at the Australian soccer body (FFA) in its bid to get the 2018 or 2022 World Cup.  That got me thinking - would any future successful bid by Ireland (in whatever form, ie. alone - not in my lifetime, or as a joint effort) be greated by the GAA in the same light?  What d'ya reckon/

AFL letter raises World Cup concernsROGER VAUGHAN
December 8, 2009 - 7:44PM
AAP

The AFL are concerned a soccer World Cup in Australia could affect their competition for up to two years.

In a letter sent to Football Federation Australia (FFA) chief executive Ben Buckley, AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou wrote of the league's "extreme disappointment" with the information it has received about the Cup bid.

But the FFA have hit back, saying they have met with the AFL more than a dozen times in the last 20 months.

An FFA spokesperson said it was "hard to understand" why the league is raising issues in the media.

On Monday, Demetriou said an entire AFL season could be lost if Australia hosted the World Cup in 2018 or 2022.

Demetriou sent the letter to Buckley on November 24 and the 16 club presidents have also seen a copy.

In the letter, Demetriou says the AFL could have to shut down for at least 10 weeks.

He also speculates about Australia hosting soccer's Confederations Cup the year before the World Cup.

"Therefore the FFA cannot guarantee that the impact on the AFL, clubs and their supporters will not be over two years instead of one as originally advised by the FFA," Demetriou said.

The FFA have confirmed Australia would host the Confederations Cup as a warm-up for the World Cup.

"It has minimal impact on the other codes - but great benefit for Australia," the federation said.

They also confirmed the FFA had received the AFL letter, but questioned how the league was reacting to the World Cup bid.

"Considering we have met 14 times with the AFL in the past 20 months, it is hard to understand why they are raising these issues in the media rather than at a meeting," an FFA spokesperson said.

The AFL letter is scathing of the FFA at times and raises a series of questions about aspects of the bid.

"The AFL wishes to place on record its extreme disappointment with the lack of accurate and consistent information from the FFA on the implications of the World Cup on the AFL," Demetriou wrote.

"This lack of clear information and what appears to be indifference and frankly, reluctance to help the AFL ... is frustrating particularly given the AFL has a strong history of working with other codes and sports to accommodate major events."

The FFA have confirmed their options for World Cup venues also include Etihad Stadium, but strongly denied an AFL query about whether soccer would want to take over the league's offices for the World Cup.

"This has not even been considered," the spokesperson said.

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Gnevin

Why would the AFL need to shut down? They own the majority of their own grounds don't they?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

stephenite

Quote from: Gnevin on December 08, 2009, 11:22:13 AM
Why would the AFL need to shut down? They own the majority of their own grounds don't they?

No - some of the Melbourne clubs like Geelong and Richmond have their own grounds, but they don'y play all of their games there. Not sure about Perth based teams owning Subiaco? Sydney play primarily at the Sydney Cricket Ground, Brisbane at the Gabba (cricket also)

All big AFL games in Melbourne are played at the Melbourne Cricket ground and the now named Etihad stadium

Aerlik

In Perth the Western Australian Football Commission own Subiaco stadium.  It only holds 43K at a squeeze.  I think the big concern is the threat that four unspecified Vic clubs could go bankrupt if they don't play, perhaps Hawthorn, Richmond, Melbourne and Western Bulldogs.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Gnevin

Quote from: stephenite on December 08, 2009, 11:25:30 AM

No - some of the Melbourne clubs like Geelong and Richmond have their own grounds, but they don'y play all of their games there. Not sure about Perth based teams owning Subiaco? Sydney play primarily at the Sydney Cricket Ground, Brisbane at the Gabba (cricket also)

All big AFL games in Melbourne are played at the Melbourne Cricket ground and the now named Etihad stadium
Would FIFA accepts ovals ? I doubt it .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

JohnDenver

Quote from: Gnevin on December 08, 2009, 11:40:37 AM

I suppose you can't get a rectangle out of an oval  ::)

Gnevin

Quote from: JohnDenver on December 08, 2009, 11:55:17 AM

Did I say that you couldn't ? The people would be miles from the pitch, hardly what they want for the most important tournament they have.

Fancy watching a game here ?

JohnDenver

Quote from: Gnevin on December 08, 2009, 12:09:17 PM

Did I say that you couldn't ? The people would be miles from the pitch, hardly what they want for the most important tournament they have.

Aye wouldn't mind watching a game there, looks like a good spot.

As for being miles from the pitch - Soccer in Croke Park.

Gnevin

Quote from: JohnDenver on December 08, 2009, 12:17:18 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on December 08, 2009, 12:09:17 PM

Aye wouldn't mind watching a game there, looks like a good spot.

As for being miles from the pitch - Soccer in Croke Park.

The FAI can play where they want ,I doubt FIFA would use ovals for the World cup. I could be wrong however.

thejuice

What about the Rugby League or Union stadiums, couldn't they not accomodate soccer much easier. Is there enough of them?

Surely between the 4 codes they could accomodate a WC. Although from what I've read, the NRL seem to be a bit reluctant to co-operate with the AFL on anything.

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

ziggysego

Success of Irish Rugby in 2009 hasn't had a profound effect on the GAA in Ireland. Can't imagine the 2018 or 2022 World Cup would have a big impact on the AFL.
Testing Accessibility

Archie Mitchell

Sure alot of the older grounds have an athletics track around them, including the venue for the last World Cup final. Also a number of grounds at 2002 and 2006 world cups, as well as Euro 2008, including the final venue had an athletics track around them. Didn't seem to bother FIFA or UEFA too much then so shouldn't in the future.

haranguerer

In answer to the original question, I dont think there'd be any objections from the GAA if the soccer world cup was comng to Ireland - soccer is well supported here, and it'd be pretty counter productive to be coming out against what would be an amazing event (a bit like scheduling that donegal game at the same time as a world cup match a few years ago).

From the aussies point of view however, most of them have little interest in it: I suppose it would be like the rugby league world cup coming here; most people wouldnt be bothered, and probably would be annoyed at the disruption as much as been welcoming. In those circumstances I could certainly see less cooperation between the GAA and the organisers - it all usually comes down to keeping on the right side of public perception anyway...

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

If they stop playing AFL for two years, lets start knicking their players  ;D 

AFL is the enemy.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Archie Mitchell