Ryanair Standing Room Only

Started by Dougal Maguire, December 07, 2009, 06:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

Coming back from London last night wife pointed out an article in the Ryanair in house magazine. They are currently exploring the possibility of introducing spaces for standing passengers on flights of less than 1 hour duration. The idea would be something similar to a bus or train with 50 standing spaces, 20% of which would be free and 20% at half price. They're about to start negotiations with Boeing about the safety considerations that they'd have to take into account.
Careful now

pintsofguinness

that was on the board before and I remember people calling it bullshit.

How would they ever meet safety requirements? Even on the smoothest landing if you were standing on the plane you'd have a hard time staying on your feet! Not only would it be dangerous for people standing it would also be dangerous for the people sitting.
Will never happen.

btw I recently learned you arent allowed to stand on a bus if it needs to go on a motorway.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ArmaghLedd

I don't think that could ever possible work really. Thing about it 50minutes on the plane from belfast to Heathrow, your feet would be numb, you would be very dizzy and God knows what the terbulance could be like :-\ It would be best just to pay that extra bit for abit more comfort ;)

playwiththewind1st

ffs if he had his way o'leary would have 20 out on each wing & he'd still charge you a quid for a pish.

no mo do yakamo

I think theyre also planning open topped aircraft when flying to sunny destinations.
It wasn't even kennedy in the car.

The Watcher Pat

I remember coming home from Liverpool on a stag night. Stood at the back of the plane almost the whole way home....Stomach was in knots sitting down...Fcuk me that was some weekend!!
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

tyronefan

O Leary is a master at marketing   

He fires out an odd crazy idea and has pages of free advertising for weeks

Same with paying for the toilets

muppet

Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 07, 2009, 07:04:46 PM
that was on the board before and I remember people calling it bullshit.

How would they ever meet safety requirements? Even on the smoothest landing if you were standing on the plane you'd have a hard time staying on your feet! Not only would it be dangerous for people standing it would also be dangerous for the people sitting.
Will never happen.

btw I recently learned you arent allowed to stand on a bus if it needs to go on a motorway.

There is no commercial aircraft designed to allow standing.
There never will be a commercial aircraft designed to allow standing as they must be certified to meet certain criteria, for example abandoning take-off at high speed (around 150mph). Think of slamming on the brakes of a motorbike at that speed - while standing on the seat.

O'Leary comes out with crap like this to get him and his airline into the papers without paying. The gullible hacks fall for it every time. 
MWWSI 2017

JUst retired

Puckoon

tyronefan

armaghniac

I don't imagine that this is a serious suggestion. But just as some of those fairground rides have people standing and clipped in then it should be possible on aircraft also.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B