Is it time for management contracts in GAA? - Tom Humphries (Irish Times)

Started by dec, December 07, 2009, 02:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catchandkick

Can't understand clubs paying managers on a ' per training' basis. It just gives managers an excuse to flog the players and have as many trainings as possible. Mad! Flat fee!

screenexile

I'm not talking about paying just the manager for coaching the team but I think County Boards should get men in to do the whole thing i.e. manage the senior team and look after the underage structures within the County. They should be employed on a Ful Time Basis with a proper contract in order to give them and the County Board a bit of stability!!

Rav67

Quote from: screenexile on December 09, 2009, 01:17:43 PM
I'm not talking about paying just the manager for coaching the team but I think County Boards should get men in to do the whole thing i.e. manage the senior team and look after the underage structures within the County. They should be employed on a Ful Time Basis with a proper contract in order to give them and the County Board a bit of stability!!

You mention 'stability' - surely county boards wouldn't offer more than a 2 year contract anyway, since they could otherwise be stuck with a failing manager or alternatively have to give him a hefty severance payment.

Canalman

Not a fan of paying managers, but can see the benefit of getting in an outsider with no ties to a club to manage a flinty batch of players who can't be managed internally.

ha ha derry

Quote from: screenexile on December 09, 2009, 01:17:43 PM

do they not already  ;)

orangeman

Cooney vows to stamp out manager payments

The newly inaugurated GAA President Christy Cooney gives his address at Congress in Cork
13 December 2009

Christy Cooney is determined to end the practice of managers receiving under-the-counter payments.

Speaking from Buenos Aires where he is part of the All-Star hurling tour, the GAA president labelled the payments as "hypocritical" and has vowed to stamp them out. His comments come after Clare's former All-Star hurling goalkeeper Seamus Durack claimed that as many as 30 clubs managers in the Banner County were being paid up to EUR150 per training session.

"I will be seriously looking at the issue of payment to managers," Cooney promised.

"Everyone knows that it's going on and we have to find a solution. County boards and clubs cannot afford this practice and we have to come back to a bit of reality.

"I have no problem with lads receiving money for being out of pocket, but what's going on needs to be stopped. Seamus Durack came out and spoke about it recently at a function and he's right. We need a debate to look at what's happening and finding a way forward.

"The GAA does not exist to see fellows being out of pocket, but we are not here to pay fellows either," added Cooney in his strongest statement yet on the issue.

"I have travelled all round the country listening to clubs and along with fixtures, this is the one issue that comes up all the time."

"It's now a question of finding a solution; we can't be hypocritical. Managers can't be getting this money when we don't pay players. Paraic Duffy and I have spoken to all the county board chairmen and secretaries on this matter and I intend to get moving on it in the New Year."

muppet

IMHO the payment of managers and certain others in the Gaa is hypocrisy.

Either it is an amateur association or it isn't.

I accept that Doctors and other professionals need to be paid for their services but if the ethos of the game is centred on amateurism then all of the participants and official need to subscribe fully to that ethos.

It seems that we allow exceptions for some people and then wonder why others want a piece of the action.
MWWSI 2017

longrunsthefox

and some of those taking payments lauded as great Gaels... mercenaries doing the rounds more like.

JMohan

Everyone knows who the likely candidates are ... more hot air from Cooney