The Real Laoislad
22 (37.9%)
Gnevin
27 (46.6%)
Other (name them)
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

muppet

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 05, 2009, 10:42:49 PM
Irish presenters on UK tv based in Britain who use "we" when referring to something British, they sell their soul for the Kings Shilling, at least Unionists have personal convictions, those prats are just hoaring themselves.

Yea and Kieran McGeeney saying we in Kildare or Micko saying we in Wicklow.
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

All who play ,support or otherwise further Rugby.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

longrunsthefox

Zig and Zag sold out too

Myles Na G.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Myles Na G. on December 05, 2009, 11:12:34 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 05, 2009, 10:48:22 PM
All who play ,support or otherwise further Rugby.
:D :D :D

Munster, Leinster & Ulstermen so  :D  In Connacht its just a way of beefing up players like David Brady.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Premier Emperor

Any Irish person who supports English soccer clubs should consider themselves a West Brit.

Canalman

Personally, anyone who uses the term "Freestater". A nasty partitionist slur imo. To be fair though I usually only hear it from the lowlife drunken "fans" at GAA matches and seems to be used only by a very small minority.
Not too impressed either with the wealthier Catholics "distancing "themselves from their pasts by sending their kids to Rugby schools in Belfast.

Oh and the "Dublin 4 accent" (for want of a better term) is not automatically a West Brit/Castle Catholic  indicator

Caid

Quote from: Canalman on December 06, 2009, 10:18:57 AM

Not too impressed either with the wealthier Catholics "distancing "themselves from their pasts by sending their kids to Rugby schools in Belfast.

Oh and the "Dublin 4 accent" (for want of a better term) is not automatically a West Brit/Castle Catholic  indicator

Surely the sending of kids to rugby schools by rich parents is more prevalent among the English/American wanabees in South Dublin and the aforementioned D4 brigade [than in Belfast]
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

ballinaman

Quote from: Premier Emperor on December 05, 2009, 11:36:47 PM
Any Irish person who supports English soccer clubs should consider themselves a West Brit.

Nah, thats the easy way out. The west British culture in Ireland sickens me. The soccer club theory isn't a proper analysis of the situation IMO. Sure what about people who follow American football, am I an "east yank" then. Bollox to that.

The west British culture is quite worrying though. Goes far beyond sport. It's the type of person who watches the English question time on BBC1 and loves everything British..traditions and political ethos and doesn't give 2 shites about Northern Ireland. These people actually think Irish people and British people are similar, bollox...chalk and cheese,you'd know this if you had ever spent any time over there, majority of British are decent people it has to be said in fairness, we have that in common alright.

I'd class these lads as west Brits.

Brian O'Connell RTE London news reporter.

David Norris

muppet

Quote from: Canalman on December 06, 2009, 10:18:57 AM
Personally, anyone who uses the term "Freestater". A nasty partitionist slur imo. To be fair though I usually only hear it from the lowlife drunken "fans" at GAA matches and seems to be used only by a very small minority.

Agreed, it indicates a far greater problem.

Muppetry.
MWWSI 2017

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ballinaman on December 06, 2009, 10:37:12 AM
Quote from: Premier Emperor on December 05, 2009, 11:36:47 PM

Nah, thats the easy way out. The west British culture in Ireland sickens me. The soccer club theory isn't a proper analysis of the situation IMO. Sure what about people who follow American football, am I an "east yank" then. Bollox to that.

The west British culture is quite worrying though. Goes far beyond sport. It's the type of person who watches the English question time on BBC1 and loves everything British..traditions and political ethos and doesn't give 2 shites about Northern Ireland. These people actually think Irish people and British people are similar, bollox...chalk and cheese,you'd know this if you had ever spent any time over there, majority of British are decent people it has to be said in fairness, we have that in common alright.

I'd class these lads as west Brits.

Brian O'Connell RTE London news reporter.

David Norris
You mention Northern Ireland. Is the term West Brit not strictly aimed at "free staters"?

ballinaman

Yep it is Tony, I'm talking about people from the Republic of Ireland who couldn't give 2 shites about Northern Ireland. To clarify what I mean there, they don't class Northern Ireland as part of Ireland, NI doesn't concern them. It's a quite a paradox that they are so interested in British/English current affairs and traditions at the same time though.