Liam Clancy dies aged 74

Started by Bord na Mona man, December 04, 2009, 07:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

mournerambler

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on December 04, 2009, 11:07:56 PM
My ma is a Keady woman, she sang all his songs to me growing up - it was even more special when I grew up and realised she knew Liam etc from growing up in Keady

RIP Liam, a good Gael
Quote from: Over the Bar on December 04, 2009, 11:16:48 PM
Quality gael.  Got out of Armagh at the right time. RIP

Lads I think you are geting mixed up with Tommy Makem being fom Keady,Liam was from Carrck-on-Sur.

Sandino

The Clancy Brothers & Tommy Makem were so much part of my childhood and their music brings back so many happy memories for me. I was lucky enough to see the them along with Tommy during their reunion tour. Another legend of irish music has left us. May he Rest in Peace.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

longrunsthefox

Saw Liam and Tommy Makem play Letterkenny in late 70s. Very enjoyable. Also their tour with the Clancy brothers in 90s. He was great. Very powerful documentary on RTE recently when he spoke so honestly and wasn't afraid to challenge the church away back in the sixties or the Irish racists in America.
God rest him.

comethekingdom

Picture of Liam comforting Ronnie Drew on page 3 in todays Indo. Sad to see 2 legends of Irish music have gone. RIP Liam.

Gnevin

RIP

When a legend speaks of them such, you know they where greats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcGeQyF62iI
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Premier Emperor

A sad lost for the nation.
He was one of our greatest ambassadors abroad.

Here is a great feature on him from American tv...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYdm0tbzkuA

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Declan

RIP Liam. My late father was a huge fan and thankfully "dragged " me along in my early teens to see him. Needless to say he left a huge impression on me and was a fantastic singer. Remember having a sing song in an Tigh an Ceoil in Ring in the summer of 1991 when the bould Mr Clancy was given a noble call and duly participated -very humble guy 

omagh_gael

vav

Grew up listening to Makem & Clancy, only recently found an old CD of theirs, great music, may they both rest in peace xx

Doogie Browser

Was saddened to learn of his death at the weekend, a giant of a man in terms of his contribution to music.  The fantastic Yellow Bittern DVD is available from RTE and will be a best seller this Christmas.
RIP Liam.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: mournerambler on December 05, 2009, 12:10:18 PM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on December 04, 2009, 11:07:56 PM
My ma is a Keady woman, she sang all his songs to me growing up - it was even more special when I grew up and realised she knew Liam etc from growing up in Keady

RIP Liam, a good Gael
Quote from: Over the Bar on December 04, 2009, 11:16:48 PM
Quality gael.  Got out of Armagh at the right time. RIP

Lads I think you are geting mixed up with Tommy Makem being fom Keady,Liam was from Carrck-on-Sur.
I know where he was from, my ma knew him from Keady though - he stayed in a house down the street from her which her school-friend lived in.  This is obviously when he was starting to play with Makem...
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

saffron sam2

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 04, 2010, 10:28:23 PM
Tribute on RTE1 now!

Tried to order it on Amazon before Christmas - they couldn't get it.

His finest hour?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFCekeoSTwg
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet