Sunday World boss gets a kicking

Started by longrunsthefox, November 25, 2009, 09:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Quote from: Oldhacker on November 28, 2009, 12:23:46 AM
Some of the contributions here reflect very little credit on those concerned. It is reasonably well known that Jim McDowell was on leave and not personally  responsible for authorising the dreadful suicide picture on the front page of the Sunday World, but decided as editor to carry the can for the whole debacle. It goes without saying that the paper deserves all the criticism it has received. However, some people seem to think that walking up to McDowell in a public place, punching him from behind to the ground and then kicking him about the head is a reasonable response. Is this what we have come to ?

First I've heard that. Where'd you hear that?
Testing Accessibility

longrunsthefox

Don't mind that Ziggy... it's a crock of shit. McDowell defended the photo from the start and then cowed down after there was such an outcry....

Monday 2nd November 2009
report...

The editor of the Northern Ireland edition of the Sunday World has defended his paper's decision to use a photograph of a man hanging from a bridge after apparently taking his own life.
The paper caused outcry across Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic yesterday when it printed a graphic picture on its front page of a man hanging by a rope from a bridge in Bangor in County Down.
Sunday World Northern Ireland editor Jim McDowell said the publication was "not intended to be voyeuristic".
He said the body had been in full public view for three hours and the picture used by the newspaper meant the dead man was not identifiable.

muppet

Quote from: Oldhacker on November 28, 2009, 12:23:46 AM
Some of the contributions here reflect very little credit on those concerned. It is reasonably well known that Jim McDowell was on leave and not personally  responsible for authorising the dreadful suicide picture on the front page of the Sunday World, but decided as editor to carry the can for the whole debacle. It goes without saying that the paper deserves all the criticism it has received. However, some people seem to think that walking up to McDowell in a public place, punching him from behind to the ground and then kicking him about the head is a reasonable response. Is this what we have come to ?

What happened him is no more acceptable than what the Sunday World did. But if you decide to 'carry the can' for sc**bag behaviour don't be surprised when it has nasty side-effects.
MWWSI 2017

Oldhacker

While the Sunday World not for the first time let itself down very badly by running the picture, it is common knowledge that the call was made by others and Jim McDowell subsequently took reponsibility as editor. He should have apologised immediately, but, as public opinion made its voice heard, including through websites like this, he realised that his position was not sustainable and he said sorry as directly as he could.

When issues arise, people have the choice between joining the debate, which proved very effective on this occasion, or punching those with whom they disagree. The lowest of the low stay in the shadows and cheer on the thugs.

muppet

Quote from: Oldhacker on November 28, 2009, 08:23:10 PM
While the Sunday World not for the first time let itself down very badly by running the picture, it is common knowledge that the call was made by others and Jim McDowell subsequently took reponsibility as editor. He should have apologised immediately, but, as public opinion made its voice heard, including through websites like this, he realised that his position was not sustainable and he said sorry as directly as he could.

When issues arise, people have the choice between joining the debate, which proved very effective on this occasion, or punching those with whom they disagree. The lowest of the low stay in the shadows and cheer on the thugs.

The lowest of the low publish pictures of a suicide on the front page of a National Newspaper.
MWWSI 2017

haranguerer

He didnt get the kicking for publishing that picture. That was obviously a disgrace, and the paper is a rag.

However, while typical tabloid shite, it has exposed a lot of loyalists for what they are (and of course a few 'republicans'), and it has also had good outcomes - I reckon the likes of shoukri etc getting locked up is mainly down to pressure raised from articles the sunday world has published.

Anyway, the main worrying point for me is that the press should be untouchable in this way (as in not in fear of violent retribution for articles). Of course they have to be accountable to the public, i.e. as happened over the suicide pics, but they shouldn't have to fear for doing their job - as in the way this lad got a kicking - it was obviously connected to useful stories they had run and got scumbags locked away. If the views on this board were to be replicated everywhere,then it seems indifference to this assault would be the general approach. That would be a major blow to free press, and a victory for scumbags. The lads that did this should be sought especailly hard for what they did, and sentenced to very stiff sentences - in much the same way that in the US everyone tried to avoid killing a cop, because they knew that would really bring the heat down.

Minder

I saw on the front page today Mickey Harte is getting a touch about the clergy sex abuse scandal.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

haranguerer

had a wee glance in the shop there - looks like one of the most imaginative attempts to create a sensationalist story I've ever seen

Minder

Quote from: haranguerer on December 06, 2009, 02:02:44 PM
had a wee glance in the shop there - looks like one of the most imaginative attempts to create a sensationalist story I've ever seen

Aye I just read it briefly, the fellas beef seemed to be that Harte didn't mention the sex abuse at Rubane, where he taught.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Sandino

What a ridiculous attempt to tie Mickey Harte to these awful cases of sexual abuse, please focus on the perpetrators by all means. To me this is an attempt to smear Mickey.

What will it take to get sane people to stop buying this rag?
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

trileacman

Quote from: trileacman on December 06, 2009, 07:04:18 PM
Quote from: Sandino on December 06, 2009, 06:17:27 PM
What a ridiculous attempt to tie Mickey Harte to these awful cases of sexual abuse, please focus on the perpetrators by all means. To me this is an attempt to smear Mickey.

What will it take to get these people to stop buying this rag?

Buckie??
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

spiritof91and94

The last paragraph summed it all up - COMPENSATION.
If Adair gets compo, the bars around Newcastle will take it all.
McDowell should have got more than he did at the market.
A direct smear attempt against Mickey Harte and if Spillane loved the GAA as much as he says he would stop writing for them on account of this article.