Worst Present Ever

Started by bingobus, November 24, 2009, 10:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingobus

Be it a christmas, birthday or whatever. We've all had them or heard of them.

Father-in-law bought the MIL a washing line a number of years back and hasn't bought a present since. He's a practical man and will tell you that nothing else has been needed since!

At college, I had a flatmate from Offaly. We graduated and where all working as trainee accountants in different firms around Dublin. This lad got a big square, maroon leather briefcase (with all the pockets inside) as a graduation present. He was thrilled with it but it lay under the bed for about a year before he moved out. It quickly dawned on him that very few bar the firms partner actually uses these breifcases, espically not a trainee! I often wondered if he ever used.

The Real Laoislad

Your father in law has the right idea fair play to him :D
You'll Never Walk Alone.

AZOffaly

A friend of mine's father bought his wife (my friend's mother) a wheelbarrow so she could bring in the turf from the shed to the house handier :D

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 24, 2009, 10:31:14 AM
A friend of mine's father bought his wife (my friend's mother) a wheelbarrow so she could bring in the turf from the shed to the house handier :D
More practical than a chain or bracelet!
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Shamrock Shore

As a wedding present we got Greenhill sheets from the Bullring in the Liberties here in Dublin.

I wouldn't mind but I didn't want them at the wedding (auld fella insisted, his first cousins) AND they were re-cycled (previous wrapping paper visible). We traded them back to the Bullring and got IR£3 credit note. 3 effing pounds.

Other notable wedding presents I heard of was a trouser press and a table cloth (the stiff oily one)

bingobus

Maybe its an urban myth but heard of one couple who give a wedding present to another couple only to receive it back as a wedding present themselves a few months later from the same couple.  ???

Billys Boots

Recycling is a GOOD thing SS, don't ye know?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Declan

A pal of mine bought hoover bags as part of his present for the missus once :D

Took a while for him to recover from that

AbbeySider

I know a lad who bought an EXERCISE BIKE for his girlfriend (who was a little heavy).
They were going out a few years and in the card he wrote a letter about how much he loved her but she needs to do something about her weight.
He parents flipped and the relationship was over instantly.

I still laugh when I think about it, but the poor girl...

ziggysego

I got a pair of socks once from a friend, which were too big for me.
Testing Accessibility

lynchbhoy

got an alarm clock for my 13th birthday
wanted subbeuteo but got an alarm clock which the mother (who bought it) took to use for herself to get us up out to school in the mornings (and the oul boy out to work)

Dannymcfella

A mate of mine (who sometimes would be on the board and some would describe as being generally useless) bought his mum for christmas 2 years ago a Turkey. A lot of thought went in to this, and the thing is I actually don't think he gave her it until Christmas morning

redhugh

I once got an orange for Christmas.When I went to peel it, my Da told me it was a football.I kicked it round the garden for two hours and then went in for my dinner.When I asked where my dinner was , my Ma told me I'd been kicking it round the garden for the last two hours.Kinda two presents in one I suppose.Tough times.

Maiden1

I once waited until 24th December to buy a present for my girlfriend (wife now).  I hadn't thought of anything and just thought I will go round the shops at lunchtime and find something.  I was walking round Castlecourt for about an hour and a 1/2 and couldn't think of anything (there is only so many times you can buy perfume) when I seen a stall which sold vibrating cushions that where supposed to masage your feet or you can put it on your back and do the same thing.  They where about £25 so I thought this will do rightly, I got her a couple of other wee things like Thorntons chocolates etc.  She opened it on Christmas day then said 'you walked round on Christmas eve looking for a present and just picked something so you could get back to work'.  Women are too smart sometimes.  Apparently she had been giving me hints of things she wanted for months.

A guy I lived with in Dublin his mum told him not to be buying her a cook book for Christmas. He had bought her a cookbook every other year.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

The Real Laoislad

Bit unfair to put this in the "worst present ever" thread as it is actually a really nice present but the girlfriend bought me this lovely Liverpool training jacket for my birthday today..nothing wrong with that I hear you say! only thing though it has a big Champions League logo on the front of it  :-[
You'll Never Walk Alone.