250,000 State employees on strike

Started by sammymaguire, November 24, 2009, 09:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

I hope they get stuck for longer on the way back.

Can some of us mount a protest road block just on the Northern side of the border to eff up their jouney home. I am sure the Peelers wouldn't move us - do they ever travel that close to Louth?

Billys Boots

The Revolution is just a t-shirt away.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Dinny Breen

QuoteNational day of shopping. What a farce.

;D
#newbridgeornowhere

TheGreatRambo

I have been watching the Town Council offices which are straight across the road from me, there were 8-10 picketers there earlier on none of whom are locals (well I've never seen any of em anyway). About 11.30 or so they disappeared but their placards etc are still stacked against the wall, anyway 10 mins or so ago one of the girls who works there sauntered up the street and put a key in the door and went in.

Kinda defeats the purpose of picketing if u ask me

Gnevin

Quote from: TheGreatRambo on November 24, 2009, 02:27:02 PM
I have been watching the Town Council offices which are straight across the road from me, there were 8-10 picketers there earlier on none of whom are locals (well I've never seen any of em anyway). About 11.30 or so they disappeared but their placards etc are still stacked against the wall, anyway 10 mins or so ago one of the girls who works there sauntered up the street and put a key in the door and went in.

Kinda defeats the purpose of picketing if u ask me

How many civil servants does it take to organise an picket?   ;) ;D
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

AN other

Another day planned for 3rd December? They must be running out of Turkeys up North.

Tankie

Quote from: AN other on November 24, 2009, 02:41:31 PM
Another day planned for 3rd December? They must be running out of Turkeys up North.

great news, will all they time these lads are taking off + a 12% cut in salary we will be back in the black in no time at all
Grand Slam Saturday!

GalwayBayBoy

A day of action alright. Shopping action. In Newry.

Bord na Mona man

The dash to the shops, doesn't really give the impression of thousands of angry and downtrodden workers!

trileacman

So teachers are not payed enough.

So they strike/have a day off.

Which they use to go shopping across the border and spend money.

The irony is here is killing me.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Onion Bag

Its def true, there 4-5 mile tail backs heading into Newry, i got caught in it, and a huge majority of them are southern cars,

a good days shopping out of the strike
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

bingobus

I would love if RTE news has cameras in the car park in Newry and runs a show tonight with random shots of the strikers getting in and out of their cars.

They really have no shame.

Lone Shark

Shamelessly robbed off another thread, but I couldn't just leave it there.......

What do we want?
Stuff for the house!

When do we want it?
Now!

Rossfan

Now why would a load of people from the 26 Counties be shoppin in Newry I wonder?
And could the Shopkeepers of the  26 Counties ask themselves the same Question?
Heard someone on Joe Whinge yesterday telling a tale about Insulation Rolls costing £6 in B&Q in Newry while in a Dublin B&Q they were €21 .
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

the real slim shady

Traffic in and around Newry has been crazy since before 9 this morning mostly coming from the south!!! National day of shopping is right!!!!