Author Topic: The OFFICIAL FAI Thread.....Roll on France 2016  (Read 595331 times)

Billys Boots

• View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL FAI Thread.....Roll on Euro 2012
« Reply #720 on: June 09, 2011, 03:45:12 PM »
but for the freakish bounce of a ball we could have been in a Euro semi-final with our tails up and confidence flying

There were two freakish bounces in that match; the first was McGrath's header in the first half that came off the post onto the heel of a Dutch defender and somehow stayed out of the net; I don't want to talk about the other one.  :'(

And Main St., sorry for bringing the Brady saga up again.  ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Main Street

• View Profile
« Reply #721 on: June 09, 2011, 06:03:22 PM »
Sorry my ass  ;D

How many are on the probation list?
Wilson, Walters, Gibson and McCarthy ?
Two nordies in that lot and another nordie shunted out of the successful u19 squad.
Charlton would have had their guts for garters.

ardtole

• View Profile
« Reply #722 on: June 09, 2011, 09:20:10 PM »
who was the nordie booted out of the u-19 squad?

Main Street

• View Profile
« Reply #723 on: June 09, 2011, 09:45:33 PM »
One of the Derry McEleaney's

edit -  Shane McEleney, pulled out a squad for a friendly international. Rejected the call up for another squad.
Eventually found himself excluded from the squad that made it to the Euro Finals to be played sometime soon.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 12:21:48 PM by Main Street »

mylestheslasher

• View Profile
« Reply #724 on: June 09, 2011, 09:51:55 PM »
Trapp played Brady for Juventus and wasn't happy when the owners bought Platini and Boniek (only two foreigners allowed at the time).

Jack retired Brady, put McGrath midfield (Lawrenson before that) and picked Mick McCarthy.

You do remember Brady was instrumental in the 88 Euro qual campaign, culminating in a superb Brady performance in the last game against Bulgaria, even his red card was class.
You can argue about Brady's treatment after that, after a long layoff for a damaged cruciate ligament. When Ireland went off to italia 90, Brady had already played his last competitive game, a game he played for West ham after another lay off.

Lawrenson and McGrath were complete footballers. Lawrenson was used in midfield long before Charlton came. I distinctly remember Ireland beating Holland 2-1 at Lansdowne in 1981, Lawro was in midfield with Brady  and Daly.

I remember, but Jack still retired Brady.

I also remember his last act for West Ham just before Italy 1990: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOz4wVRjEuI

Christy cooney would not be impressed with

Bogball XV

• View Profile
« Reply #725 on: June 27, 2011, 10:12:58 PM »
Any links to the tweets alleging a high profile irish player has been playing away from home and has taken out a super-injunction?

Declan

• View Profile
« Reply #726 on: June 28, 2011, 01:17:01 PM »
Any links to the tweets alleging a high profile irish player has been playing away from home and has taken out a super-injunction?

We'll I heard a name mentioned months ago and was surpised but then again rumours are rumours but you'd want to be on serious money to be paying out the legal fees ;)

bamboo

• View Profile
« Reply #727 on: June 28, 2011, 04:03:17 PM »
Lads,

Does anyone know for certain where the away match in Andorra will be played? I'm getting conflicting info stating that its either in Andorra or Barcelona.

AQMP

• View Profile
« Reply #728 on: June 28, 2011, 04:08:28 PM »

I'd think you'd best go to the Twitter site for info on tweets?  It has a search function.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

• Keep the Faith
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: June 28, 2011, 04:14:04 PM »
Lads,

Does anyone know for certain where the away match in Andorra will be played? I'm getting conflicting info stating that its either in Andorra or Barcelona.

The "wee" ground beside the Nou Camp.
Tbc....

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #730 on: June 28, 2011, 04:15:36 PM »
That's Espanyol's ground I think. I often think they must be pissed off to be beside the camp Nou.

bamboo

• View Profile
« Reply #731 on: June 28, 2011, 04:30:59 PM »
I know that sometimes Andorra play their "bigger" games in the little "nou camp" but people have been suggestimng that they're trying to play more and more in their home stadium which holds about 1,200 people and is a 3hr bus ride from the nearest airport!!

GDA, is that official info or just a hunch? Looking to plan a trip but not knowing the exact venue is making it a bit more troublesome. Done Paris, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Germany in the last few years so would like to add barcelona to that list.

No1

• View Profile
« Reply #732 on: June 28, 2011, 05:22:37 PM »
No official word yet, they don't have to decide until 60 days before the game I think.

laoislad

• View Profile
« Reply #733 on: June 28, 2011, 08:22:10 PM »
That's Espanyol's ground I think. I often think they must be pissed off to be beside the camp Nou.

Espanyol have a brand new 40,000+ seater stadium opened in 2009.
Before that they played in the Olympic stadium,maybe before that they played in the stadium beside the Nou Camp I dunno, but they were in the Olympic Stadium from around '96 or '97 onwards till 2009
Joe Mcdonagh Champions 2019

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

• Keep the Faith
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: June 29, 2011, 09:56:44 AM »
I know that sometimes Andorra play their "bigger" games in the little "nou camp" but people have been suggestimng that they're trying to play more and more in their home stadium which holds about 1,200 people and is a 3hr bus ride from the nearest airport!!

GDA, is that official info or just a hunch? Looking to plan a trip but not knowing the exact venue is making it a bit more troublesome. Done Paris, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Germany in the last few years so would like to add barcelona to that list.

Mate of mine living in Spain trying to get a few of us over for the match and as far as he's aware the match is in the "little" nou camp.
Tbc....