Author Topic: The OFFICIAL FAI Thread.....Roll on France 2016  (Read 592665 times)

sammymaguire

• Fantasy Premier League Head-to-Head Champion 2011
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL FAI Thread.....Roll on Euro 2012
« Reply #405 on: October 12, 2010, 10:44:34 PM »
A bit harsh myles, they were missing Duff and Doyle and Stephen Ireland  :'( I think Long was ineffective throughout, Keane looked stale, crap peno, Green should not be there, out of his depth, McGeady still lacking a final ball, Kilbane is finished although Dunne, St Ledger, Fahy, O'Shea all solid players and should be enough there to get through to another play-off

Team desperately needs a proper central midfielder

Still think Trapp should have Andy Reid in the squad too, good 20 minute man who can create

Stephen Ireland? ;)

Ok then, maybe not.

Starting XI for me would be
                        Given

Coleman Dunne St Ledger Hunt

Fahey Andrews Gibson Duff

Keane   Stokes

McGeady, Doyle, A Reid, Lawrence, McCarthy, Myler, where's Joey O'Brien?

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

The Real Laoislad

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 12, 2010, 10:49:04 PM »
Stokes?
Ahead of Doyle?
Wow........
You'll Never Walk Alone.

TacadoirArdMhacha

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 12, 2010, 10:50:58 PM »
Surely the question up front is whether Long deserves his place ahead of Keane?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 12, 2010, 11:09:12 PM »
Surely the question up front is whether Long deserves his place ahead of Keane?

I think thats pretty clear though it will never happen.

No O'Shea in Sammy's team - must be a mistake given his earlier comments. I'd have him in for St Ledger (decent trier but an accident waiting to happen) and Long and Doyle up front but otherwise I'd go with Sammy's team. Carr also needs to be brought back if at all possible, he is playing well this last season and a bit for Birmingham and would be good cover for Coleman who looks a good one. Really like Fahey and Lawrence and McGeady are good options to have for the flanks.

ross4life

• Connacht U-21 Champions 2014,15
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 12, 2010, 11:29:49 PM »
2 matches in 5 days & not another euro 2012 game till March, like who come's up with these fixtures  ::)

Anyways remaining fixtures how many can you see us winning?

March 26th Macedonia (h)
June 4th Macedonia (a)
September 2nd Slovakia (h)*
September 6th Russia (a)*
October 7th Andorra (a)
October 11th Armenia (h)

* win these should be enough to top the group IMO
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

GalwayBayBoy

• No show like a Joe show!
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 12, 2010, 11:54:54 PM »
Topping the group is almost out the window I'd say. The Russians have 4 of their last 5 games at home.

Between us and the Slovaks for the play-offs. 6 points from the next two games against Macedonia would come in useful for a start.

muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 13, 2010, 12:47:48 AM »
We qualified for one European Championships ever.

Granted there are more teams in the Finals now, but do this lot have the quality to achieve what far better teams failed to?  A central midfield of Matt Holland and Mark Kinsella seems like a dream now, never mind Keane and Townsend or Townsend and McGrath. Ronnie Whelan, then Captain of Liverpool, couldn't always get in as a central midfielder.

The only player with a current 'big' club is John O'Shea and he isn't a nailed on starter for United. Compare that with the days of Keane and Irwin at United, McAteer and Babb (no laughing) at Liverpool, McGrath and Quinn started at big clubs, and remember a decade ago when Harte, Kelly and Robbie were at Leeds who were a 'big' club.

Even our journeymen were quality players like John Sheridan. Compare him with what we have today.

Why do people expect us to make it? Is it unreasonable to demand qualification from players who inhabit the bottom of the Premier League table and lower?

Will you be surprised when we don't take the expected clean sweep of points from the 'minnows'?
MWWSI 2017

stephenite

• Ballina Stephenites
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 13, 2010, 02:45:59 AM »
The amount of continentals and others playing in the top tier of English football has increased considerably since the days of Euro 88, Italia 90 and USA 94. Perhaps this influx has had more bearing on what club our players are at as opposed to it just being down to a deterioration of the quality of players?

Ireland have only ever a handful of world class players. Liam Brady, Roy Keane and Paul McGrath being the ones that spring to mind, the others were handy support players, but would a man with Andy Townsends abilities play in todays Premier league?

ballinaman

• MWWSSD
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 13, 2010, 03:17:10 AM »
Anybody watch the webcast interview with the 3 boys in the studio??

Liam Brady didn't know that James McCarthy still can play for Scotland because he hasn't been capped for Ireland in a competitive game...FFS like!!

sammymaguire

• Fantasy Premier League Head-to-Head Champion 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 13, 2010, 07:59:29 AM »
Stokes?
Ahead of Doyle?
Wow........

I totally forgot about O'Shea, certainly in there at centre back or holding midfielder and yeah, Stokes looks like the real deal waiting to happen and Doyle just does not score enough goals for a striker  :-\
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

omagh_gael

• '03, '05 + '08...not bad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 13, 2010, 09:09:36 AM »
Jaysus Sammy that's awful harsh on Doyle. No Irish striker has a significantly better goal scoring record and Doyle sets up loads of goals and is now widely considered as a top quality premiership striker. He has to be the first striker on the team sheet, Keane place is where the questions marks should be??

Shamrock Shore

• We are proud to be Larries
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 13, 2010, 09:19:15 AM »
No competitive matches until the end of March 2011. Thank God.

It's a struggle watching this shower. I know silk purses and sow's ear and all that but if I could have reached into the telly and given Robbie Keane a root in the hole I would have.

Roll on the O'Byrne Cup.

GAA_Punter

• View Profile
    • GAA facebook chat
« Reply #417 on: October 13, 2010, 09:30:11 AM »

lynchbhoy

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: October 13, 2010, 09:37:57 AM »
No competitive matches until the end of March 2011. Thank God.

It's a struggle watching this shower. I know silk purses and sow's ear and all that but if I could have reached into the telly and given Robbie Keane a root in the hole I would have.

Roll on the O'Byrne Cup.
fairly obv that keane was not at the races in the last two games and Doyle worked hard for nothing last Fri. The style of play doesnt suit him at all. Yes he can get on the end of long balls to flick on - but whats he point !
Surely Big Cillian Sheridan would be better suited to that kind of game.
I'd also start Shane long as his pace and work rate are superb. Robbie keane seems to fcuk things up. Hes a great servant to the team, but needs 5 chances to score 1 and gets the harder ones and misses the easy opportunities! imo

Id like to see stokes getting a run with Celtic and then hopefully on to the Irish senior team.
Long, Doyle or Stokes competing for the front two positions, with keane also - if he gets back on form.
Soccer in general has become very slow and boring. Even the top countries now play the cautious approach which bores the life out of you. Spain or argentina are the only teams that include a bit of flair some times that I can think of.
We dont know how lucky we are to have Football and Hurling to watch most of the year - imagine having only soccer !  :o

AFS

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: October 13, 2010, 09:58:40 AM »
Is it unreasonable to demand qualification from players who inhabit the bottom of the Premier League table and lower? Why do people expect us to make it?

It's not particularly unreasonable. Every two years several countries that inhabit our tier of world football are able to find their way into major tournaments. Despite not having playing resources significantly superior to ours, Slovakia, Slovenia, Greece and Denmark were able to find their way into this summer's World Cup finals.