Author Topic: The OFFICIAL FAI Thread.....Roll on France 2016  (Read 593257 times)

AFS

• View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL FAI Thread.....Roll on Euro 2012
« Reply #915 on: September 07, 2011, 02:14:40 AM »

What happens if 3 or even 4 teams have the same points? Is it goal diff or head to head? Either way it would not be good for Ireland.
If Russia, Slovakia and Ireland finish level on points it goes into a 3 way mini group on the matches played which would eliminate Ireland as only have 3 points from 3 draws against these 2.

If Russia, Armenia and Ireland finish level Russia would top group and Ireland second as long as we draw or beat Armenia at home.

Don't think a 3 way tie involving both Russia and Ireland is likely after tonight.

Russia will win their home game against Andorra, so, depending on their result against Slovakia, they'll finish on either 20, 21 or 23 points.

23 = no one will tie with them
21 = only Ireland can tie with them
20 = Slovakia and Armenia can tie with them, but not Ireland as it's impossible to go from 15 points to 20 in two games

I reckon the only 3 way tie Ireland are remotely likely to find themselves in is with Armenia and Slovakia on 18 points. Armenia would pip us to second spot if this came to pass.

My head hurts.

spuds

• View Profile
« Reply #916 on: September 07, 2011, 02:42:48 AM »

What happens if 3 or even 4 teams have the same points? Is it goal diff or head to head? Either way it would not be good for Ireland.
If Russia, Slovakia and Ireland finish level on points it goes into a 3 way mini group on the matches played which would eliminate Ireland as only have 3 points from 3 draws against these 2.

If Russia, Armenia and Ireland finish level Russia would top group and Ireland second as long as we draw or beat Armenia at home.

Don't think a 3 way tie involving both Russia and Ireland is likely after tonight.

Russia will win their home game against Andorra, so, depending on their result against Slovakia, they'll finish on either 20, 21 or 23 points.

23 = no one will tie with them
21 = only Ireland can tie with them
20 = Slovakia and Armenia can tie with them, but not Ireland as it's impossible to go from 15 points to 20 in two games

I reckon the only 3 way tie Ireland are remotely likely to find themselves in is with Armenia and Slovakia on 18 points. Armenia would pip us to second spot if this came to pass.

My head hurts.

True, well read AFS, but if Ireland, Armenia and Slovakia finish level on points Slovakia finish bottom and anything better than a 0-1 win for Armenia against us gets them through on the head to head. Or will their greater goal difference as stands presently get them through anyway ?
If we go to town scoring against Andorra maybe a 0-1 loss will do against Armenia in that situation.  :P

If we beat Armenia and lose to Andorra we get through to qualifier on getting 18 points that way.  :D

If Slovakia beat Russia and Russia only draw with Andorra then it could end up with 4 teams on 18 points.  :o

« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 02:48:36 AM by spuds »
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
 John Hubbard

HiMucker

• View Profile
« Reply #917 on: September 07, 2011, 01:58:43 PM »
Russia have been ropey enough since the match @ Lansdowne. But I'd tend to agree with LL, will be good going to get a draw, a win and 3 points would be unreal

Plus, cannot believe an international football match of this importance is allowed to be played on a plastic pitch. What next, playing with a half pumped ball?'mon to feck Ireland!
They will be well used to this sort of thing, Sure they trained on a car park in Saipan  :D
Here I wasnt far wrong!  "I dont care that I am on 50K a week and have to look the superstar part.  Heres a marker! Now get that number 5 drawn on my back so I can get out there and kick the legs of these commy bast**ds or Im going to plug ye"

stibhan

• View Profile
« Reply #918 on: September 07, 2011, 03:46:23 PM »
'McGeady couldn't cut it at Celtic'

I suppose that's how they sold him for a records fee ::)

Orangemac

• View Profile
« Reply #919 on: September 07, 2011, 09:14:04 PM »
Have a good feeling Traps luck will hold, Slovakia badly stung will beat Russia and Ireland will win last 2 games to win group.

A turgid 180 minutes against Greece or Bosnia in a play off doesn't bear thiniking about :D

bamboo

• View Profile
« Reply #920 on: October 03, 2011, 06:02:52 PM »
Anyone hear anything about any special arrangements being put in place for the fans on Friday?

After the game was moved back to Andorra, Delaney had mentioned trying to set up a "fanzone" for those that had already booked  the trip to Barcelona. Had a quick look at the FAI website and cant see anything.

Gonna be  a tough weekend over there, game does'nt finish until almost midnight local time and then have to be back up for the rugby at 7am! And our flight from Stanstead is 7am friday morning!!

Sleep will be at a premium me thinks.

Lawrence of Knockbride

• View Profile
« Reply #921 on: October 07, 2011, 04:46:24 PM »
Armenia 2-0 approaching half time. Cat and pigeons.

sans pessimism

• Cil's the man
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: October 07, 2011, 04:52:51 PM »
Watching the Irish soccer team is worse than sitting through ten episodes of Eastenders played backwards---ROLL ON 6AM!!!
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

laoislad

• View Profile
« Reply #923 on: October 07, 2011, 04:54:27 PM »
Watching the Irish soccer team is worse than sitting through ten episodes of Eastenders played backwards

So don't watch it then  ::)
Joe Mcdonagh Champions 2019

Doogie Browser

• View Profile
« Reply #924 on: October 07, 2011, 04:57:08 PM »
Have backed Keane & Doyle first goal tonight and 4-0, 16/1 & 18/1. 

Boycey

• View Profile
« Reply #925 on: October 07, 2011, 05:00:12 PM »
Watching the Irish soccer team is worse than sitting through ten episodes of Eastenders played backwards

you're fierce patriotic LL, any negativity over anything Irish has ya bristling with indignation..

Lawrence of Knockbride

• View Profile
« Reply #926 on: October 07, 2011, 05:00:36 PM »
Watching the Irish soccer team is worse than sitting through ten episodes of Eastenders played backwards---ROLL ON 6AM!!!
It's not fair. The soccer boys need a more inspiring anthem to get them up for it.

laoislad

• View Profile
« Reply #927 on: October 07, 2011, 05:02:22 PM »

you're fierce patriotic LL, any negativity over anything Irish has ya bristling with indignation..

Not really true,you could say what ya like about Irish rugby and I wouldn't care  :)

sans pessimism

• Cil's the man
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: October 07, 2011, 05:26:01 PM »

Not really true,you could say what ya like about Irish rugby and I wouldn't care   :)
I'd be fairly sure that if O'Brien or Ferris suggested to you LL that soccer is shite, you'd agree!!! Lighten up good ladeen
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

laoislad

• View Profile
« Reply #929 on: October 07, 2011, 05:30:16 PM »

Not really true,you could say what ya like about Irish rugby and I wouldn't care   :)
I'd be fairly sure that if O'Brien or Ferris suggested to you LL that soccer is shite, you'd agree!!! Lighten up good ladeen

Who are they?