Author Topic: The OFFICIAL FAI Thread.....Roll on France 2016  (Read 501549 times)

imtommygunn

• View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL FAI Thread.....Roll on France 2016
« Reply #6885 on: March 12, 2018, 07:34:38 PM »
Yeah. Very surprised by the whole thing. Expected better from him. Surely he should realise that for some people it is very difficult to accept playing in windsor park to god save the queen. Some people just can't do it. No problem with those that do but it isn't for everyone.

red hander

• Masters of the dark arts since 1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #6886 on: March 12, 2018, 11:49:27 PM »
So Michael back tracking a bit today with a big long statement trying to say I didn't say the FAI tap up Catholics. Hmm lost the high ground on this on so many levels. Martin basically cut him down instantly with his reply that Michael was the only person who 'poached' on his watch. Would have been interesting if any journalist actually bothered to talk to the partick player named by Michael. I guess if his reply was along the lines that he couldn't give a feck not playing for the IFA then Michael might have looked even more of a fool over all this nonsense.

He's obviously getting grief from his bosses at the IFA for opening this can of worms again, and he is playing loose with truth. The interview that sparked the row appeared online before being hastily removed and watered down extensively before reemerging in the Irish Daily Mail, no doubt because the IFA went into damage limitation mode. The original interview, which can be found online if you search a bit, is clearly an attack on the FAI, and came across as the rantings of someone who didnt have a clue what he was talking about, was drunk, or both

OgraAnDun

• View Profile
« Reply #6887 on: May 14, 2018, 08:58:26 PM »
Fairly harsh on the U17 keeper there.

laoislad

• View Profile
« Reply #6888 on: May 14, 2018, 09:00:31 PM »
Crazy end to the Ireland U17 game there. Irish keeper sent off(2nd yellow) during penalty shootout for coming off his line.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #6889 on: May 14, 2018, 09:39:25 PM »
Ridiculous.

The Subbie

• View Profile
« Reply #6890 on: May 14, 2018, 10:01:01 PM »
Madness
Over zealous refereeing

Not many Irish underage teams bring a Dutch team to extra time and penalties in tournament football

straightred

• View Profile
« Reply #6891 on: May 14, 2018, 10:15:31 PM »
Watched it live. Actually thought that the dutch keeper was way off his line for the one he saved but didnt think much of it. Then the ref goes and sends our lad off for being LESS off his line than the dutch lad who went unpunished. Thats the hardest part to take.

If the rule is a yellow and off then fair enough (even though the first yellow was a joke as well) but to ignore the same offence for the dutch and punish us is unforgivable. He needs to be thrown out of the tournament tomorrow.

David McKeown

• View Profile
« Reply #6892 on: May 15, 2018, 12:36:21 AM »
I assume it's the way he moves his feet forward. Hard to describe but in real time I thought he came much further forward than he did. No real problem with the decision I have to say. The Dutch save though should never have stood and it would have been interesting what happened from there.

The laws on penalty shoot outs are confusing enough though. There was an incident in a league I used to run a few years ago where in a penalty shoot out a keeper got a hand to the ball it went away from goal but with considerable back spin. Bounced and went over the line. On the advice of a more experienced linesman the referee disallowed the goal. As it was u11 or u12 and a semi final the loosing team appealed to us. We, not knowing the rule asked the NIBFA who in turn asked the IFA for clarification. The IFA put us in touch with the English FA and Howard Webb in particular who said the penalty was over as soon as the momentum of the ball was away from goal and that it was correct that no goal was awarded in our situation. When we informed the loosing club of this they contacted the FAI and got the exact opposite response. We ended up arranging a replay after the winning team offered.

Billys Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #6893 on: May 15, 2018, 09:17:49 AM »
Looking at the replay there, the keeper's left foot was still on the line when the penalty was struck, so it shouldn't have been retaken, much less all the other stuff.  I think the first principle for referees (correct me if I'm wrong), is that they need to be certain that a transgression has occurred to call a 'foul', which couldn't have happened there.  End of refs career, I'd have thought.  And very bad luck for Ireland U17s. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Itchy

• View Profile
« Reply #6894 on: May 15, 2018, 04:08:14 PM »
Have to say that was one of the most stupid calls from a ref I have ever seen, given it is mm in the replay and screen grabs, how could a ref make the call in real time. Absolutely mind boggling stupid. Young lad did well not to box him in the jaw.

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6895 on: May 28, 2018, 09:03:42 PM »
That Fekir scored .... I’ll get my coat
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

bogball88

• View Profile
« Reply #6896 on: May 28, 2018, 09:45:05 PM »
Getting spanked on the pitch

general

• View Profile
« Reply #6897 on: May 29, 2018, 05:00:02 PM »
Shite performance - albeit with a skeleton squad. France never got out of 1st gear really - i'm sure they are disappointed today.

Highlight of the night was Declan Rice attempting to belt out Amhrán na bhFiann. Keep your eye on him at the USA friendly.

Ireland are so poor and little top players coming through from the top leagues. MON appears to be happy to sit back and hold teams and try to score the odd goal on the break.

Boycey

• View Profile
« Reply #6898 on: June 02, 2018, 07:50:02 PM »
Final appearance tonight for John O’Shea, he was a goodun...

Itchy

• View Profile
« Reply #6899 on: June 02, 2018, 09:58:26 PM »
Not perfect but great to see Ireland pass the ball around. Rice and o dowda are nice footballers.