FAI...June 2024 Friendlies v Hungary and Portugal

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

More good news from the underage set up so - Grassroots are dying alright and we've no players capable of competing  ;)

Billys Boots

In fairness, the Emerging Talent programme has been quite successful - it's the next stage where the system falls down. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

We work very well with the emerging talent here in Tipp. The elite players at Under 12 and Under 14 level tend to be elite in multiple sports, and it behoves anyone involved in teams at that level to try and accomodate this, rather than limit or force them into a choice.

My opinion is that if we provide a great set up in the GAA, we will get more than our fair share, and I prefer to see young lads playing sport, any sport, than standing around the corner.

Declan

QuoteIn fairness, the Emerging Talent programme has been quite successful - it's the next stage where the system falls down.
Agreed - it's when Tony Pulis and his like get their hands on them they regress!!

QuoteWe work very well with the emerging talent here in Tipp. The elite players at Under 12 and Under 14 level tend to be elite in multiple sports, and it behoves anyone involved in teams at that level to try and accomodate this, rather than limit or force them into a choice.

My opinion is that if we provide a great set up in the GAA, we will get more than our fair share, and I prefer to see young lads playing sport, any sport, than standing around the corner.

Couldn't agree more with you AZ. Unfortunately not all mentors/coaches are as broadminded. What I'm finding is that kids are making the choice around 15/16 generally in Transition Year when the real "development" phsical work is starting to kick in

Billys Boots

QuoteQuote

In fairness, the Emerging Talent programme has been quite successful - it's the next stage where the system falls down.

Agreed - it's when Tony Pulis and his like get their hands on them they regress!!

I have no love for the School of Charlie Hughes, but I have to say I admire Pulis's work (if not his methods). 

ballinaman

Declan

I've seen that lad play alright ballinaman - impressive

stew

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 26, 2012, 10:53:45 AM
Emma Hansberry is supposed to be unreal. Plays with Sligo ladies gaelic football team and due to soccer committments wasn't able to play a game earlier in the summer. Game was a humdinger and Sligo got a crucial penalty. They put her on, she planted the penalty and then took her off immediately! Thought it was a brilliant story when I heard it.

Seanie, how would it feel to be a sub, sitting there scratching yer arse and all of a sudden the manager puts a girl that should be playing on for the ten seconds, long enough to score from the spot, only to take her straight off again? that would not have sat well with me at all at all.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

AZOffaly

Girls don't scratch their arses. That's an awful thing to say Stew!
I think, unless I'm reading it wrong, that Seanie is saying the Sligo GAA management agreed to not play her in the game because she had a soccer commitment, but when they got the peno they treated her like an American Football Placekicker. That way she wasn't at any risk of injuring herself for the soccer game, while still able to help Sligo.

At least I think that's what he meant! :)

magpie seanie

That's exactly it. I think it's genius and when you have 5 subs you can afford to do it.

Billys Boots

SHEEDY

marc wilson suffered a broken ankle in stokes match against sunderland. big blow for the lad when he had just forced his way onto the ireland team.
nil satis nisi optimum

general

Provisional 26-man squad announced to face Greece (squad will be shortened to 23 prior to Nov. 11th meet-up):

Westwood, Forde, Randolph, Coleman, O'Shea, O'Dea, Kelly, McShane, Ward, Duffy, Clark, Delaney, Andrews, McCarthy, Fahey, Meyler, Whelan, Clifford, Keogh, McGeady, McClean, Brady, Hoolahan, Doyle, Cox, Walters

what does every1 think? some good young players IMO, however some not playing any 1st team football which is a worry, these being duffy, brady, clifford and meyler

on the plus side, hoolahan, who has playing to a decent stadard for norwich is included.

im dreading the thought of how empty the aviva will be and how many will pull out due to "injury"

rodney trotter

Quote from: general on October 31, 2012, 03:31:19 PM
Provisional 26-man squad announced to face Greece (squad will be shortened to 23 prior to Nov. 11th meet-up):

Westwood, Forde, Randolph, Coleman, O'Shea, O'Dea, Kelly, McShane, Ward, Duffy, Clark, Delaney, Andrews, McCarthy, Fahey, Meyler, Whelan, Clifford, Keogh, McGeady, McClean, Brady, Hoolahan, Doyle, Cox, Walters

what does every1 think? some good young players IMO, however some not playing any 1st team football which is a worry, these being duffy, brady, clifford and meyler

on the plus side, hoolahan, who has playing to a decent stadard for norwich is included.

im dreading the thought of how empty the aviva will be and how many will pull out due to "injury"

Said it before but there is a few players playing in the Airtricity league who would be capable of playing international football, even say for a Friendly game.. Playing regular football unlike a few in the latest squad, Mark Quigely and Ronan Finn are good enough IMO.

Be lucky to get 25,000 at that game.

AZOffaly

Greece are horrendous as an attraction as well..