Author Topic: More Dissident-Republican Activity  (Read 149502 times)

trailer

• View Profile
Re: More Dissident-Republican Activity
« Reply #1440 on: May 01, 2019, 10:27:59 PM »
Bit off topic, but a geniune question -

Those who are on the fence with regards to who to vote for come Thursday - do Candidates knocking on your door do anything positive that would influence you to vote for them? Or is it an outdated PR stunt?

Good question - hard to assess if it makes any difference.  People who usually knock your door are away down the list in terms of policy making and are usually in to 'help' out at elections.

The problem here is you don't knock the door, you're a p***k and if you do, you're still a p***k.

Too many negative people on here - all about, they are useless, he's no good, don't have any time for them etc. etc.

Correct that those knocking the door are unlikely to be the candidate. Also true that its the larger parties that are more likely to knock the door as they have the volunteer resource to do so.

The negativity here is about parties that there is every grounds to be negative about. Presumably posters are positive about other candidates. What is there to complain about in that?
I've found the opposite. I've only had Independent candidates knock at the door and talk. The larger parties put leaflets through the letter box during the day when we were at work.

Well SF and DUP absolutely have the resources to call at the door. If they are not calling at the door they are choosing not to do so. SF now abstaining from the doorstep

That's lol from me.

tonto1888

• View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: May 02, 2019, 07:53:44 AM »
Bit off topic, but a geniune question -

Those who are on the fence with regards to who to vote for come Thursday - do Candidates knocking on your door do anything positive that would influence you to vote for them? Or is it an outdated PR stunt?

Good question - hard to assess if it makes any difference.  People who usually knock your door are away down the list in terms of policy making and are usually in to 'help' out at elections.

The problem here is you don't knock the door, you're a p***k and if you do, you're still a p***k.

Too many negative people on here - all about, they are useless, he's no good, don't have any time for them etc. etc.

Correct that those knocking the door are unlikely to be the candidate. Also true that its the larger parties that are more likely to knock the door as they have the volunteer resource to do so.

The negativity here is about parties that there is every grounds to be negative about. Presumably posters are positive about other candidates. What is there to complain about in that?
I've found the opposite. I've only had Independent candidates knock at the door and talk. The larger parties put leaflets through the letter box during the day when we were at work.

Well SF and DUP absolutely have the resources to call at the door. If they are not calling at the door they are choosing not to do so. SF now abstaining from the doorstep

Certainly not in my area. sad weíre calling on doors on multiple occasions over the last few weeks. Other parties posted their stuff. And managed to get the owner of the house wrong

Fionntamhnach

• "Hey Lawrence..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: February 12, 2020, 07:07:59 PM »
Man charged in connection with Lyra McKee murder

Police in Northern Ireland have charged a 52-year-old man in connection with the murder of journalist Lyra McKee.

The man, who was arrested yesterday, has also been charged with possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life, and professing to be a member of a proscribed organisation.

He will appear at Derry Magistrates Court tomorrow.

PSNI Detective Superintendent Jason Murphy said: "I have always said a number of individuals were involved with the gunman on the night Lyra was killed, and while today is significant for the investigation the quest for the evidence to bring the gunman to justice remains active and ongoing."

Ms McKee was shot dead in Derry as she observed rioting on 18 April last year.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0212/1114882-lyra-mckee/
"I can't be arsed any more; too much ignorance, bigotry, dogma, idiocy & retreat from reason"

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: February 12, 2020, 09:21:57 PM »
I'm sure this is one area where we'll all find total agreement, if this guy is the one behind it all, I hope he's locked away for a long time, spills the beans on the whole lot in that area and gives the people of Creggan a chance to move on without them brainwashing the youth of the area any longer.

Unfortunately I've a feeling this will be one of those ones that rumbles on for awhile with the prosecution case collapsing mysteriously. I hope I'm very wrong.

Eamonnca1

• Catching the world in my headlights of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: February 13, 2020, 04:29:41 AM »
What's up with that bomb that was found at Silverwood industrial estate in Lurgan?  Why would they try to bomb a ferry? Do they want to sink it or something? Thankfully the stupid gulpins put it on the wrong trailer and nobody was hurt in the end, but it could have gone off in the yard.

naka

• View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: February 13, 2020, 12:08:36 PM »

Police in Northern Ireland have charged a 52-year-old man in connection with the murder of journalist Lyra McKee.

The man, who was arrested yesterday, has also been charged with possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life, and professing to be a member of a proscribed organisation.

PSNI Detective Superintendent Jason Murphy said: "I have always said a number of individuals were involved with the gunman on the night Lyra was killed, and while today is significant for the investigation the quest for the evidence to bring the gunman to justice remains active and ongoing."

somewhat sensationalist
the guys charged  is alleged to have picked up some spent bullet casings from the shooter.
far be it from me to be the judge but it will be interesting to see teh attempt to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he is guilty of murder

general_lee

• View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: February 13, 2020, 01:00:18 PM »
What's up with that bomb that was found at Silverwood industrial estate in Lurgan?  Why would they try to bomb a ferry? Do they want to sink it or something? Thankfully the stupid gulpins put it on the wrong trailer and nobody was hurt in the end, but it could have gone off in the yard.
Iím a bit sceptical about this one tbh, not everything adds up

themac_23

• View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: February 13, 2020, 01:29:25 PM »

agreed, it was never going to get on the boat, if they'd planned on getting it on the boat they could have put it a lot of places that were discreet, the way it was placed and where it was placed was always going to be spotted. seems like a publicity stunt to get their 'campaign' in the headlines

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: February 13, 2020, 02:06:59 PM »

Look at the state of it sure, held together with electrical tape you can buy in home bargains for 99p ffs.

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: February 13, 2020, 02:47:18 PM »

Same here. Iím so sceptical in fact, that I doubt there even was a device planted in the first place.

Downtothewire

• View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: February 13, 2020, 04:02:15 PM »

Same here. Iím so sceptical in fact, that I doubt there even was a device planted in the first place.

Securicrats perhaps?

nrico2006

• View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: February 13, 2020, 05:12:37 PM »
Man in court for the murder of Lyra McKee - how likely are they to go for a murder conviction, i.e. how is it not manslaughter?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

tonto1888

• View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: February 13, 2020, 06:54:28 PM »

somewhat sensationalist
the guys charged  is alleged to have picked up some spent bullet casings from the shooter.
far be it from me to be the judge but it will be interesting to see teh attempt to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he is guilty of murder

I donít get how he can be charged with murder? Surely there has to be intent and I doubt it was their intent to kill Lyra McKee. Maybe one of our legal professionals can explain it?

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #1453 on: February 13, 2020, 07:36:04 PM »
Part of a joint enterprise?
Still Connacht Champions

naka

• View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: February 13, 2020, 08:23:21 PM »
Part of a joint enterprise?
Argument then  by the defence QC could be that every rioter there was part of the joint enterprise.
Itís going to be a toughie to prosecute.
Donít see it myself.