Car overheating?

Started by tyrone girl, November 18, 2009, 10:03:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

Would this not have spotted when you got it serviced for the MOT?

How did your day in court go?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Denn Forever

Antifreeze is an alcohol based liquid which does exactly what it says on the tin.  If the water in the engine freezes, it can crack the head or engine block.

Get it fixed i.e. don't keep replacing the coolant with water.  You are only treating the symptom not the problem.

When the mechanic fixes the problem, if he is any good he will refill it with an Antifreez.e:Water blend.

If it happens again, you can use water to get you out of trouble.  Bottles of Antifreeze or even a Antifreeze:Water blend should be available in large petrol (I know your car is a diesel) stations.

Also, when you are getting the car serviced you should ask the mechanic to check the coolant.  Stitch in time.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

tyrone girl

Quote from: saffron sam2 on November 19, 2009, 12:24:15 PM

Considering my mot was in June and its now November i think there can be some allowance to things going wrong with a cracked pipe - speaking of cracked its a bit like a cracked record over my court  date for no mot - which for the record i didnt have to attend and paid my fine so go wind up another thread!

tyrone girl

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 19, 2009, 12:35:23 PM
Antifreeze is an alcohol based liquid which does exactly what it says on the tin.  If the water in the engine freezes, it can crack the head or engine block.

Get it fixed i.e. don't keep replacing the coolant with water.  You are only treating the symptom not the problem.

When the mechanic fixes the problem, if he is any good he will refill it with an Antifreez.e:Water blend.

If it happens again, you can use water to get you out of trouble.  Bottles of Antifreeze or even a Antifreeze:Water blend should be available in large petrol (I know your car is a diesel) stations.

Also, when you are getting the car serviced you should ask the mechanic to check the coolant.  Stitch in time.

Cheers Denn - getting it brought down to him tommorrow so hopefully he will get all sorted for me - im glad it wasnt the head gasket or whatever that word is - id have been into serious problems then

take_yer_points

Quote from: tyrone girl on November 19, 2009, 12:16:33 PM
Whats that mean i havent a clue

Having water in the car alone could cause the water to freeze. Putting in coolant (a mixture of water and antifreeze that you can buy in most filling stations) will stop it from freezing if the temperature drops low enough coming into the winter.

saffron sam2

Quote from: tyrone girl on November 19, 2009, 12:42:20 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on November 19, 2009, 12:24:15 PM

Considering my mot was in June and its now November i think there can be some allowance to things going wrong with a cracked pipe - speaking of cracked its a bit like a cracked record over my court  date for no mot - which for the record i didnt have to attend and paid my fine so go wind up another thread!

Not winding. Just wanted to know if it was an offence you could get points for.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet