Club's Amalgamating

Started by DownFanatic, November 17, 2009, 09:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

Over the years there have been many amalgamations between clubs in the GAA. Who were the biggest success stories and has there ever been more than two clubs that have amalgamated?

screenexile

Ballyboden St. Enda's would have to fall into that category especially after doing the double this year.

They are an amalgamation of Rathfarnham St. Enda's and Ballyboden Wanderers and the club as it is now known was founded in the 1960's.

blanketattack

St. Michael's Foilmore. Won the All-Ireland club final eariler this year.

A Quinn Martin Production

Isn't Errigal Ciaran an amalgamation?  By the way, lose the apostrophe in the title. ;)
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Canalman

Rodert Emmets/St James Gaels amalgamation a failure. Both clubs have now parted ways and reestablishing themselves on their own.

ONeill

Brocagh and Derrytresk U16s amalgamated in 1991 and got to the Grade 3 final, losing 4-17 to 0-3 to Aghaloo.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

No1

QuoteOver the years there have been many amalgamations between clubs in the GAA. Who were the biggest success stories and has there ever been more than two clubs that have amalgamated?

Something to tell us DF?

An Riocht are doing OK.

T O Hare

Clonduff is holding its own after the amalgamation of Hilltown and Cabra Harps in 1959 ;D :D
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

thebandit

Quote from: screenexile on November 18, 2009, 02:09:13 AM
Ballyboden St. Enda's would have to fall into that category especially after doing the double this year.

They are an amalgamation of Rathfarnham St. Enda's and Ballyboden Wanderers and the club as it is now known was founded in the 1960's.

I think that the Wanderers club has started up again in a small way.

DownFanatic

Quote from: No1 on November 18, 2009, 12:30:13 PM
QuoteOver the years there have been many amalgamations between clubs in the GAA. Who were the biggest success stories and has there ever been more than two clubs that have amalgamated?

Something to tell us DF?

An Riocht are doing OK.

The reason I brought it up was that I was recently on the Milford GAA website which has a link to the GAA club map of Ireland. I was just noseying through a lot of the southern counties and the amount of clubs with double and triple barrelled names is unreal. I was wondering whether these names were the result of amalgamations.

thebandit

Why is there a Mayo club inside the Roscommon border on that map   ???

Surely some mistake....

shark

Two Cork clubs amalgamated in 1922, Rangers and Nemo.  They have been fairly successful i believe.

boojangles

Cavan Harps and Cavan Slashers amalgamated after much debate in the 50's to become Cavan Gaels. they had won their First Senior Championship by 1965.Have definitely been successful in Cavan,dominating the club scene at all levels over the last decade.

dodgy umpire

Quote from: thebandit on November 18, 2009, 05:01:34 PM
Why is there a Mayo club inside the Roscommon border on that map   ???

Surely some mistake....

not sure exactly but i think its something to do with the club not recognising the border and considering themselves mayo men
The Boys in Red and Black are back

Rois

Quote from: thebandit on November 18, 2009, 03:01:10 PM
Quote from: screenexile on November 18, 2009, 02:09:13 AM

I think that the Wanderers club has started up again in a small way.

Yep, my home club used to hold annual "exchange" friendlies with them - they'd come up to Tyrone, we'd go down there, take it year about.  Till some personal issues arose...nice guys down there though.

Clann na Gael in Tyrone is an amalgamation between Dunamanagh and Aughabrack.  Means Stephen O'Neill and Brian Dooher play on the same team.